Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 9:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo, and muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tkd mixed with Muay thai

Im a BB at wtf style tkd but next im thinking of jumping into muay thai. The school im joining is offering classes in Muay thai, BJJ,MMA, and boxing. What are you opinions on my mixing? Im really a big fan of kicking arts. Not so much grappling. Should I consider the others?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 9:45pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you already have a black belt in a striking art, it would make sense to go for something completely different, like BJJ.

That is, unless, you think your striking still isn't very good, or if you're just really into striking arts, then Muay Thai is one of the best.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 10:15pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done TKD for 23 years, started at a MMA gym 4 months ago after a month of private lessons... Go for it man. Just go in with an open mind, realize that much of what you've done in TKD won't apply, some will.

You'll find the kicking greatly simplified over TKD kicking, basically boiled down to the essential 'what works'. I have found that side kicks (back kick in WTF) are quite effective, but it's all in the set-up. Other than those, Muay Thai has most of the answers already built in. Your front kicks will be good, but there's some options you'll have not done so much, just listen and do it. It would be redundant to say that your round kicks will be useful, although you'll find the striking area is _just_ the shin, rather than ball/shin/shin-instep etc. Though, I still will catch someone with the instep & shin, but if you miss you're looking at a world of hurt with the metatarsals.

From boxing; TONS there, holy crap we had bad hands in TKD, even in my style which uses hands and blocking (vs WTF hands down approach). Yeah, I'm _finally_ getting to the point where I don't keep my head up (admiring the work ;p), but drop it down and hide behind the shoulders etc. The hands was a big change, and boxing is the best at that (in my opinion) hands down.

BJJ; Friggin kicks butt. I was very leery, as I used to HATE wrestling and considered it to be just another form of it... I was mistaken. You'll start out sucking hugely, having no energy (even if you were like me and could stand-up box/spar for like 90+ minutes etc). The ground is a completely different kind of exertion and will take a lot to get used to. I'd recommend finding someone to slow-flow with you as soon as possible. Otherwise, it's like getting in a Ferrari, in a greased ice-skating rink, with a flip-switch for the gas pedal. Translation: VROOOM, tap. Wrong exertion times, energy all over the place in the wrong times, sweep, bam, tap. Btw, TAP often, it's no shame to be subbed. The slow-flow will show you the doors, the options, and eventually you get used to it and become more calm, more fluid, and less tapped (actually and gassed ;p).

Wrestling (Greco-roman & Collegiate): Holy time machine, if I could go back and learn those other than the couple years in grade-school, I would. There are a lot of golden treasures in the Western wrestling that if you have the chance, learn. My wrestling only mostly sucks now, but it's a long road from nothing to something.

All in all? I'd go for it, have a great time, and walk in with an open mind. If the thought ever enters your head 'That's wrong, I was taught...' just stop and realize that there is always more and different ways to learn things.

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 10:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thx for the post so far still open for suggestions. I might just go into the grappling but its really not my favorite thing. Im really a striker. I wonder if the mma center im looking into will let me mix em all.

Posted On:
    3/23/2008 12:53am

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortification
    Should I consider the others?
    Yes! Please do!

For years, I thought one martial art was all I needed to do. Then I discovered judo and BLAM!!! My world changed. Later this year I'll test for BB in TKD, but after that I plan to spend some serious time training in judo, throwing the shiite out of people when I get good. Judo also is more of my style as I discovered after just a few classes as it comes easier to me than TKD ever did. Hope you enjoy!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2008 7:20am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortification
    Thx for the post so far still open for suggestions. I might just go into the grappling but its really not my favorite thing. Im really a striker. I wonder if the mma center im looking into will let me mix em all.
    I used to think I was a striker, but I realised that I like MMA more than either. The fact that it's seriouslly like fighting really made me look at my game to see the gaping holes. MMA is great for letting you mix what you know with something new, and I think that would be a good choice for anyone to go into.

Posted On:
    3/23/2008 11:25am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright so muay thai is a definite at this point but theres some stuff with the rest I need to take into account.

1. Being my health because I was born with less muscles in my hands then most. It seems I quickly got over it though because I was never supposed to ride a bike and well.....So I think my fist are average now in strength. When I try to box im more fast then hard hitting. Lastly I have a reaccuring torn ligament in my knee from tkd. If I dont strech and attempt something I probably shouldnt it rips and well I cant walk for a few days.

2. Time constraint as im at the end of my junior year in highschool and at the end of my senior year im out of this town. With the thai classes they go from beginner to master classes. I wanted to make at least intermidate in it. Though with the other style I dont really know how far I can get by the end.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 2:00pm

Style: Muay Thai / Tae Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a BB at ITF style TKD, and have trained in MT for atleast 4 years. You should DEFINATLY take up MT. You'll see you sparring and pain tolerance for TKD skyrocket!

Posted On:
    4/14/2008 1:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i did tkd for 3.5 years, then the school left, i did what was around, MT and BJJ and boxing
    and iam 20x better than i was when i just did TKD, and after about a year of serious training and keeping a level head.... dont get frustrated with BJJ.... its way different but its incredibly effective, just look it up on youtube. if you take this route you wont regret it.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    4/14/2008 11:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a 2nd dan in tkd. Then I went to a jkd concepts place afterwards. And one of the kicks I had to learn was the thai round house. I had the hardest time doing it because I was so used to snap-kicking. I couldn't make my knee point donwwards, loosen the hips and follow thru all the way. It took me some time.

But if you really want to round yourself out, take a bjj course. Get off your feet and do some groundwork! Frustrate yourself! Get your arse kicked a lot. It is humbling and it is good for your overall growth. My weakest thing has been groundfighting...I suck at it, but I love it. I'm the least-experienced on the ground and everytime we roll at class, I get punked out, but I'm learning. It is frustrating as hell, but it is like good medicine.

So please consider what we're saying here and dive right in to a bjj class. You'll hate it at first, but then you'll love it.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast