Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 6:41pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gamma man
    I thought a forum was for free exchange of information?
    didnt realise bullshido had different "rules" to every other forum - sorry for contrubuting
    i will pmfhi
    No, it's ok,
    but if a thread has not been posted in for a couple months, it's considered a "dead" thread.

To post in one of these is considered "necromancy", because you bring it back to life, which is alright as long as you have a valid reason of doing so, , and not just to make a silly remark, or to restate what has already been touched on in the thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 2:44pm

Style: Hapkido.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is a link of “Grandmaster” Charles Hildebrand, 6th degree in Hapkido and 8th degree in Taekwondo, doing a demonstration in Jackson, Mississippi. “Grandmaster” Hildebrand is the head of the Moo Sul Kwan organization.

It sucks.

Posted On:
    3/25/2014 5:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo & Goju

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Woooow!
    #1 Needs to tech students how to breakfall
    #2 A real gunman would have shot him dead.
    #3 I really would like to fight this idiot. If this is what his demo is like, the other techniques have to be garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2014 10:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is really upsetting is that the so-called Grandmaster Charles Hildebrand and the Moo Sul Kwan organization are teaching people this BS as real martial arts and self defense. They are like a weed in Southeast Missouri because they have like a dozen schools across a few cities. In the Hapkido program, 7 of the 25 clothing grab techniques were from a belt grab. Completely unrealistic! The stupidest Moo Sul Kwan self-defense technique would have to be the one from a rear double shoulder grab. I think it was clothing technique #25, the very last one. You had to do three strikes before throwing the guy. Who would just stand there and get hit three times then thrown? For the non-MSK people, the lucky ones, this techniques begins with a guy grabbing both of your shoulders, well actually gi, from the rear you begin by striking his left ribs with a left knifehand and repositioning your left arm between his arms then striking the inner side of his forearm with a left hammerfist. Then trapping his right hand with your left hand then striking his right ribs with a right knifehand, FINALLY you throw the guy via a seoi-nage shoulder throw. What is worst is that none of the strikes flow together and they don’t inflict significant pain or damage. Again, who is going to stand there and get hit THREE times then thrown? No one would!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2015 11:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a bit at a loss as I don't know of a MU SOOL KWAN TKD. The MU SOOL KWAN I know of is a Hapkido style brought to Missouri years ago by the late Lee H. Park to Southeast Missouri State. At the time a number of folks were looking to spread Hapkido arts around the US including KIMM He-Young and my own teacher, MYUNG Kwang Sik.

The last person I knew to be affiliated with MUSOOL KWAN in the Midwest was Mr. Jeff Forby. Not sure if he is still with the organization. The only other person of note in something called MU SOOL KWAN is a well-regarded teacher out in the Atlanta area.

Ya know....not to offend....but people sorta bounce around and place fast and loose with these affiliations and memberships. In the Chicago area, I used to know a number of people who were fervent followers of Myung KJN. Now he's dead and suddenly the YON MU KWAN traditions are in the toilet. I stopped by one school to see what they had done with the material they were taught. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. I mention this only because being a school where people teach a solid curriculum to folks who are passionate about their training is becoming a thing of the past. The big thing now is to provide the suggestion that one is learning a solid MA while cutting corners to keep the folks coming back. Personally, I think some ball teams train harder and more regularly than a lot of Hapkido schools do. Just sayin.....

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2015 1:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This Moo Sul Kwan, has schools in Cape Girardeau MO, Jackson MO, Sikeston MO, Fruitland MO and a few schools in Colorado. They teach a mix of Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido and Judo. Some schools just teach TKD, some TKD and Hapkido and some teach all three. “Grandmaster” Charles Hildebrand is the president/head of Moo Sul Kwan and this is the organization that Jeff Forby began with. I do not know all the details but Forby had a fallinmg out with the main/bigger Moo Sul Kwan organization and he created the United States Moo Sul Kwan Association or whatever he calls his organization.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2015 11:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by T, Mr. View Post
    This Moo Sul Kwan, has schools in Cape Girardeau MO, Jackson MO, Sikeston MO, Fruitland MO and a few schools in Colorado. They teach a mix of Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido and Judo. Some schools just teach TKD, some TKD and Hapkido and some teach all three. “Grandmaster” Charles Hildebrand is the president/head of Moo Sul Kwan and this is the organization that Jeff Forby began with. I do not know all the details but Forby had a fallinmg out with the main/bigger Moo Sul Kwan organization and he created the United States Moo Sul Kwan Association or whatever he calls his organization.
    Thanks for filling me in. I was wondering if that was the same organization that GM Sheldon Moreland (Atlanta, GA) belongs to. As I say its hard to follow who is associated with which organization. Sounds as though the original MU SUL KWAN diversified some. I also know that association with a particular organization has a lot to do with which way the $$ flows. For instance, the last test I took for the World Hapkido Federation got me a certificate with the signature of my teacher affixed with one of those rubber stamps. Further, whether my student tested in front of Myung KJN or not there was still a fee for furnishing (recording?) the certificate with the organization. After a while a person starts asking just what it is that a fella is getting for sending his $$ in to the organization. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the sort of issue that caused Mr. Forby to start his own organization. From what I understand, Mr. Forby still comes to the Chicago area for Workshops. Since he no longer subscribes to Myung's material I don't have a lot of interest, but thats just me.. Just sayin......

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2015 8:30am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) I paid £130 for my 1st degree ITF black belt and then £170 for my 2nd degree. Never again....
    2) Styles with the word 'Moo' in their title don't have much luck with credibility, do they....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2015 9:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gold_ax666 View Post
    1) I paid £130 for my 1st degree ITF black belt and then £170 for my 2nd degree. Never again....
    2) Styles with the word 'Moo' in their title don't have much luck with credibility, do they....
    In fairness, there was a time when earning a Black Belt in a given Korean MA really meant something. I first began to notice things beginning to degrade back in the 1970-s when testing requirements became little more than a nod and a wink....and of course the all-important test-fee check. There was a time when advancing in Judo and Kendo...and yes...even Karate was a matter of accruing so many victories in competition....much like any other sport such as Gold or Tennis. After a while it became fashionable for people who were less athletic or even disabled to get the same rank as the truly accomplished individuals. After that it was all downhill. Now TKD is little more than grist for the Afterr-school activities crowd or folks who are invested in MA theatre. Hate to sound so negative but I see the same thing happening to the Hapkido arts and that bothers me some. Just sayin....

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2015 10:20am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce W. Sims View Post
    In fairness, there was a time when earning a Black Belt in a given Korean MA really meant something. I first began to notice things beginning to degrade back in the 1970-s when testing requirements became little more than a nod and a wink....and of course the all-important test-fee check. There was a time when advancing in Judo and Kendo...and yes...even Karate was a matter of accruing so many victories in competition....much like any other sport such as Gold or Tennis. After a while it became fashionable for people who were less athletic or even disabled to get the same rank as the truly accomplished individuals. After that it was all downhill. Now TKD is little more than grist for the Afterr-school activities crowd or folks who are invested in MA theatre. Hate to sound so negative but I see the same thing happening to the Hapkido arts and that bothers me some. Just sayin....

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    The ITF BB fee doesn't allow me to do anything or provide anything that enriches my life apart from being able to say that I have this legitimate belt. As a BB I have had my ass handed to me on a plate by those who are lower grade, higher grade or ungraded (as in MMA) so much as I appreciate what a TMA BB represents, like you say, a BB now just doesn't hold the same level of expertise as it used to.

Also- been reading through the Korean section of Bullshido- why do you always end your posts with 'just sayin...'?

:)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast