Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2014 7:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Disillusioned with TAGB

First time posting here and seeing if anyone else is in the same boat

I've been practicing taekwondo under the TAGB for over 2 years. It was my introduction to martial arts. The coach is great as he's obvioulsy done other martial arts and brings experience to the dojang. The TAGB does my head in though. It's all very Mcdojo. Not content with making us all wear doboks with websites and **** plastered all over it they are now using their position to sell TAGB onesies. I really don't feel like I'm doing a martial art. I'm starting to really question whether TAGB style of tkd is Mickey mouse or not. Should I cut my losses and go to the Kyokushin club in town?

Sent from my HTC One using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2015 9:56am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I haven't done TKD however from a general point of view there are a wide range of different TKD associations out there, why not try a different one? There are ones affiliated with the WTF, the ITF, independent ones, etc...

Of course if you feel like you want to break away totally from TKD, you can try the likes of Kyokushin, Shotokan, Wado, etc karate or there's always Tang Soo Do which is (the closest thing I can describe it as) karate with a Korean twist. But like every other art/style there is a wide range of quality between clubs.
    Last edited by kitkatninja; 1/04/2015 9:57am at . Reason: grammar

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2015 2:55am

Style: BJJ,(kick)boxing,JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime385 View Post

I've been practicing taekwondo under the TAGB for over 2 years. It was my introduction to martial arts. The coach is great as he's obvioulsy done other martial arts and brings experience to the dojang. The TAGB does my head in though. It's all very Mcdojo. Not content with making us all wear doboks with websites and **** plastered all over it they are now using their position to sell TAGB onesies. I really don't feel like I'm doing a martial art. I'm starting to really question whether TAGB style of tkd is Mickey mouse or not. Should I cut my losses and go to the Kyokushin club in town?

my only experience with TKD is WTF, but I've heard many stories of people here who became dissillusioned with TKD in some form or another. If I were you I'd try out everything that's available in your area, and read some threads on this forum about what makes a good MA school ('good' here meaning that it prepares you to fight, which I assume is important to you.), as well as the article on selecting an MA school. Basic summary: do they spar realistically?

Based on how much you enjoy them, the travel time, pricing, and how well they match the criteria for a good school make your decision. I'm sure there's more than just TKD and Kyokushin in your area, and there's no reason to limit yourself to them.

Also, why not drop by Newbietown and introduce yourself?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2015 2:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to offer an opinion but you really don't give me a lot of information.

a.) What was your original purpose for getting involved in TKD?
    b.) What's Changed?
    c.) Kyokushin Karate is very different in approach, practice and outcome than TKD?
    so whats the attraction?
    d.) You are there for yourself not the McDojo; whats keeping you from staying focused on what you need to do for yourself?
    e.) What are you expecting MA to do for you that you can't do for yourself?

Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2015 7:45am

Style: MMA BJJ TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime385 View Post

Primetime- I've been involved with ITF Taekwon-Do for about 18 years now. I'm in the UK. Believe me when I say you are not alone in your thoughts! I think TKD has to be the most politically driven styles out there and this is possibly due in part to the sheer size/ popularity of it.

I've experienced ITF/ TAGB/ WTF/ UKTF/ UKTA- you name it, I've trained with them. I wouldn't necessarily get your hopes up too high about avoiding the politics completely. The ITF association that I was with insisted on certain brands of uniform which were only available through one certain supplier in this country. I did feel that sometimes the seminars that I attended were not value for money in that you can only give so much attention to several hundred black belts when going through a national seminar with a few instructors at high level!

On the other side of the coin, I assume you wish to grade and want a reputable belt and for that I believe you will need a 'thicker skin' to deal with some politics regardless of whether you are ITF/ WTF or maybe even another style...

If you feel like you are being fleeced on equipment etc (which I think the TAGB are guilty of) then the posts of the other members here are right- maybe have a look for another club or style that gives you more of what you want.

Another point is- if you are aiming for black belt, don't be fooled into thinking that a TAGB black belt makes you any better a fighter or artist than another art. Kyokushinkai is a decent style and you will be learning a decent skill because of it.

Good luck mate!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2015 9:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, TS"

Just to dovetail on what Gold shared.....

Speaking only for myself I think you need to make your pursuit of MA more of your own Path and less contingent on what others are doing. Using myself as an example, I can tell you that I have become VERY disappointed with what I see happening to Hapkido in my area. As a result, I make sure that when I go for training that I am getting what I need out of my time spent in the dochang. Most of the folks come to class, go through warm-up and then spend 50% of the remaining time talking about what an attacker will do, and then what THEY are gonna do. For myself, I just train...which...btw makes me sorta unpopular since anyone paired-up with me is gonna have to put-out.

Make your training your own and cut back on assessing the folks around you. And if it turns out that your passion for being a better MA results in your being marginalized by the general school population and/or the teacher, I think you have your answer. Just sayin.....

Best Wishes,

Bruce