Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2015 7:58pm

Style: Tai Chi,BJJ,knife-dueling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Full Contact Hapkido Exists: Yes or No?

When I was growing up in Kitsap County in the 80's, Korean martial arts were generally considered full contact and competitive:

Supposedly even the YMCA's Hapkido class had full contact sparring that involved a fairly square stance and keeping their hands up. This was demonstrated to me by students of the class, never saw the class with my own eyes. That is why I found this hype easy to believe:

But when I started looking for individual matches of this great new alternative type of Korean MA sparring, all I could find was point fighting matches. Then when I re-watched the above the above hype, I noticed the 3rd man in the ring raising his hand every time a move was executed... so in other words that footage could have been taken from a point fighting matches, and further more any contact could have been completely accidental.

Is there any full contact, continuous Korean non-MMA competition that allows leg kicks, sweeps, take downs etc.? If so are any of these Hapkido specific? If not, do Hapkido practitioners participate in any of them?
    Last edited by BFGalbraith; 2/23/2015 8:16pm at . Reason: confused plurals from living with FOBs

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    2/23/2015 9:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Then when I re-watched the above the above hype, I noticed the 3rd man in the ring raising his hand every time a move was executed... so in other words that footage could have been taken from a point fighting matches,"

Well, Olympic TKD is full contact with wins by knockout. However, points are not on a must system, but are awarded for each individual technique that lands. So, it could be something like that. Otherwise, I remember seeing some full contact competition many years ago that looked like mma in a gi, with striking, throws and even some limited groundwork. Can't remember what it was called and can't find it now. But maybe someone else will. Remember it was billed as hapkido, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2015 4:01pm

Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    "Then when I re-watched the above the above hype, I noticed the 3rd man in the ring raising his hand every time a move was executed... so in other words that footage could have been taken from a point fighting matches,"

Well, Olympic TKD is full contact with wins by knockout. However, points are not on a must system, but are awarded for each individual technique that lands. So, it could be something like that. Otherwise, I remember seeing some full contact competition many years ago that looked like mma in a gi, with striking, throws and even some limited groundwork. Can't remember what it was called and can't find it now. But maybe someone else will. Remember it was billed as hapkido, though.
    Pro Hapkido