Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 9:31pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Moo Sul Kwan: Has Anyone Heard of us?

I was wondering if anybody in the St. Louis area on this site has heard, is, or once was part of my TKD org :
    Moo Sul Kwan

Here is a link to the website : http://moosulkwan.com/
    We don't have any vids on youtube as far as I know.

There are also MSK schools in Cape Girardeau, Mo, Clolrado, and Florida, and was wondering if anybody on this site has heard of us. We are part of the WTF and teach both WTF and ITF forms.

Within my school org. I have heard rumors, though most likely true, that our Florida school is kinda McDojo-ish (similar to the ATA) and the Colo. one focuses more on WTF sparring. I have never been to any of those schools so I can't say anything bad about them, but hopefully they are just rumors. Here in Missouri, It's more of the TMA approach to teaching.

I would appreciate it if anybody on here that has gone, or heard of one of our schools would post here, and was just wondering what you think about us. I am open to criticism and am willing to hear if you think we suck, and why, and will do my best to be non-bias when I talk about my school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 9:40pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in the Kansas City area. The name sounds familiar but I don't know anything about your kwan.

Out of curiosity, what does your Hapkido training consist of? Is is TKD striking and forms with some HKD hoshinsul thrown in?

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 9:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I just started in HKD and judo, but so far the HKD srtiking (especially the kicking) is quite different from the TKD I learned; More hip and swing in HKD and less Knee generated power. We don't do any forms in HKD. I only know of a few staff forms, but I don't think they are part of the HKD curriculm.

Please read the following:

I enjoy my TKD school, but it tends to lack in any type of aliveness besides WTF sparring and light contact point sparring (ewwww i know). The focus tends to be on one steps, forms, proper kicking and speed, moves across the room, etc. I have been doing TKD for about 6 1/2 years and will test for black most likely near the end of the summer. My instructor is a 5th dan TKD, 2nd dan HKD( im not sure on this one) and does escrima and fencing on the side.

Our HKD is very painful (lots of wrist locks and throws), but there is no sparring in it, that is contributed to the "it is too dangerous to use in sparring" theory that is in use. We do tons of wrist locks and falling, lots of throws, very limited ground work/clinch/grappeling, and weapons to an extent. My Instructor here is a 7th dan TKD and 5th dan HKD and just recently got a BB in judo.

Also, Judo classes are now being taught, and I must say that it is the class I enjoy the most, even though it's only one day a week. So far the teacher is focusing the classes on setting for throws, proper off-balancing and falling. After white belt, the focus will move to randori and learning to fully apply what we have learned to complement other martial arts we know, and for self-defense in a more alive manner than in the TKD and HKD classes. My Instructor for this class is 2nd dan, but has won 20 + tournaments in his Marines division, so knows what works and what doesn't. He is also a blue in TKD, and doesn't really do it for the sparring, but for the ITF forms which he loves; he has two very bad knees ( has to wear braces on them) and the forms help with his physical therepy.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by ZenOfAnger; 3/23/2008 12:13pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 9:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, sounds like you should stick with the Judo and maybe scrap the rest. :icon_wink (I've been taking Judo for about a month now, and it's a lot of fun.)

You should spar in HKD, even if it's just striking. (Obviously, the same could be said about the TKD.)

If you're learning different ways to kick in your TKD class versus the HKD classes, then it sounds like it would get confusing after a while.

I am often skeptical of people that have black belts in both TKD and HKD. I always wonder how much HKD they've actually done to get those belts.

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 10:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hex

You should spar in HKD, even if it's just striking. (Obviously, the same could be said about the TKD.)
    I really would like to. Do have any info about where in stl there is a HKD club like this?

If you're learning different ways to kick in your TKD class versus the HKD classes, then it sounds like it would get confusing after a while.
    It does get confusing at times, but I think the reason behind this is so that you learn different styles of kicking in order to fit your personal style.

I am often skeptical of people that have black belts in both TKD and HKD. I always wonder how much HKD they've actually done to get those belts.
    At our school, becoming a BB in TKD is very different from being a BB in HKD.
    Usually, A bb in TKD is around orange in HKD. I's takes longer to learn HKD since there are tons of techniques that are taught compared to TKD.

The ones who are BB in TKD and HKD have been with the school 15+ years.
    We treat each art seperately, so your rank in TKD doesn't carry over to HKD class.
    Also, we require that you be over 15 to do HKD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 10:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenOfAnger
    I really would like to. Do have any info about where in stl there is a HKD club like this?
    Sorry, I don't know anything about HKD schools in St. Louis. My school is under the USKMAF, and we're the only Missouri school that I know of.

At our school, becoming a BB in TKD is very different from being a BB in HKD.
    Usually, A bb in TKD is around orange in HKD. I's takes longer to learn HKD since there are tons of techniques that are taught compared to TKD.

The ones who are BB in TKD and HKD have been with the school 15+ years.
    We treat each art seperately, so your rank in TKD doesn't carry over to HKD class.
    Also, we require that you be over 15 to do HKD.
    This doesn't sound as bad as it could be (with the exception of no sparring.) I have heard of schools that automatically award HKD black belts along with the TKD ones even though they might have only spent the last 10-15 minutes of each class session doing "Hapkido."

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 11:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This doesn't sound as bad as it could be (with the exception of no sparring.) I have heard of schools that automatically award HKD black belts along with the TKD ones even though they might have only spent the last 10-15 minutes of each class session doing "Hapkido."
    Agreed. I have heard of quite a few TKD schools that do "self-defense" techniques for a few minutes of class that have moves derived from HKD, and then award "honorary" belts in HKD this way. Our TKD classes do have techniques derived from HKD for self-defense, but the difference is that we don't give out belts for it. It's treated as part of the TKD ciriculum.
    To actually recieve rank in HKD, you must attened a HKD class then test for a belt, as it should be.

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 11:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gongkwon Yusul, Hapkido,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with you 100% ( even thought I happen to have black belts in both:new_llyin ) - however they were done at different times in different clubs under different instructors/organisations.

Because of the often problems noted, I personally would very be very wary of trainng in a place that claims to teach BOTH TKD and HKD.
    In my expereince either one (although usually is Hapkido) will not get the attention it deserves!

In the past when I used to have a foot in both camps I was endlessly explaining to TKD people that Hapkido is not just "advanced TKD" or "TKD self-defence" etc etc.

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 10:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gamma man
    I agree with you 100% ( even thought I happen to have black belts in both:new_llyin ) - however they were done at different times in different clubs under different instructors/organisations.

Because of the often problems noted, I personally would very be very wary of trainng in a place that claims to teach BOTH TKD and HKD.
    In my expereince either one (although usually is Hapkido) will not get the attention it deserves!

In the past when I used to have a foot in both camps I was endlessly explaining to TKD people that Hapkido is not just "advanced TKD" or "TKD self-defence" etc etc.
    I thank you for your concern, but here on bullshido, there is this thing we call thread necromancy, and is looked down upon.
    That is, you post on a old thread such as this, so just keep that in mind.

Soooo anyways,

Yes, the whole idea of HKD as being just an "extension", or as you put it an "advanced" form, of TKD is a rather weird one to me.

That's as if I had trained in karate and got my BB in it, then getting a judo or jiujitsu BB at the same time just because one day a week my Karate class did basic falling drills and beginner throws.

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 6:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gongkwon Yusul, Hapkido,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought a forum was for free exchange of information?
    didnt realise bullshido had different "rules" to every other forum - sorry for contrubuting
    i will pmfhi
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast