Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 5:19pm

Style: JSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Failed Student View Post
    Bemused, poker face aside, there was no energy emanating from MBF in that introduction. What I observed was a person in some stage of depression.
    I agree. Earlier I made a comment that his enthusiasm seemed forced. I don't doubt that he's depressed. Everyone in COL was when I was there, although some people hid it better. Having to suppress one's emotions can cause depression, and depression can cause the "flat affect" you observed. So it's sort of a chicken and egg question.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 10:08pm

Style: TKD Hapkido Judo Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been asked to lead a forum on cults for an adult education group.. I guess everything happens for a reason, and I look forward to talking to others, none of whom are martial artists, about the warning signs of cults, and will be recounting my own experience, with a question and answer period to follow.
    If any of the attendees at the adult education group need a good example of an active and very influential cult in Vermont I can certainly supply you with a name...via PM of course. I'm still scared of them. BTW-I seem to have PM privileges now for what its worth. :ninja2:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 3:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bemused View Post
    I agree. Earlier I made a comment that his enthusiasm seemed forced. I don't doubt that he's depressed. Everyone in COL was when I was there, although some people hid it better. Having to suppress one's emotions can cause depression, and depression can cause the "flat affect" you observed. So it's sort of a chicken and egg question.

Are you guys aware that within the Korean culture its actually considered proper to not smile in photographs nor for that matter anywhere else? They always have the "flat affect" which does not mean for them they are all depressed. Many traditional Korean instructors will teach all their students to not smile in pictures or at certain TKD activities as it "looks bad" to smile amongst Koreans. If you take a look at old photographs taken of the old Kwans (original schools in old Korea) none of them attempt smiles and in fact some are snarling so bad it may have broken the camera. If you google modern day Korean photos of average man/woman on the street they are not smiling either. There was actually a campaign a few years back in Korea to actually teach people to smile and exhibit enthusiasm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 4:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While she's editing the pictures, she might delete the one that looks like some guy is trying to cop a feel of her boob.
    I wouldn't be surprised instead of deleting it if she doesn't add music to the site, perhaps the Wonder Girls "So Hot" since she thinks she's God's gift to mankind. (check out the lyrics I swear it was written by her) Doesn't she realize she's just an old ajumma wearing bad wigs and too small jumpsuits and needs to give it up? No guy really wants to cop a feel of her stuff (especially since its all silicone)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 6:10am

Style: My Own Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wohali View Post
    Are you guys aware that within the Korean culture its actually considered proper to not smile in photographs nor for that matter anywhere else? They always have the "flat affect" which does not mean for them they are all depressed. Many traditional Korean instructors will teach all their students to not smile in pictures or at certain TKD activities as it "looks bad" to smile amongst Koreans. If you take a look at old photographs taken of the old Kwans (original schools in old Korea) none of them attempt smiles and in fact some are snarling so bad it may have broken the camera. If you google modern day Korean photos of average man/woman on the street they are not smiling either. There was actually a campaign a few years back in Korea to actually teach people to smile and exhibit enthusiasm.
    You reminded me of my first dojang Wohali- need I say which one - and one of the posted rules was "No Smiling in Class". I was certain I would be struck dead by the Tae Kwon Do gods because I cannot help but smile and laugh. That's just who I am. :biggrin:

(The Finns are also a people that never smile. With all those saunas you would think they would have something to smile about.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 1:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wohali View Post
    This may be true of Korean culture in general but it's not true of TYK's little world. TYK flashes her pearlies every chance she gets, especially when there are cameras around. When she's not trying to break students down she's trying to rev them up and get them to show outsiders how happy they supposedly are.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 8:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

YOOOOOO

So what sup with lady now ?? I havent check this thread in a year

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2009 6:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't heard much news. If you review the last ten pages or so, you can see that TYK has hosted a few events for martial artists and local bigwigs. Apparently this thread has led to a few people quitting the Jung SuWon martial arts school before getting lured into the inner circle, COL or whatever it's called now, so it's doing its job.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 5:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bemused View Post
    I haven't heard much news. If you review the last ten pages or so, you can see that TYK has hosted a few events for martial artists and local bigwigs. Apparently this thread has led to a few people quitting the Jung SuWon martial arts school before getting lured into the inner circle, COL or whatever it's called now, so it's doing its job.

So how do you know people are quitting JSW because of this thread? You got secret Ninja spies on the inside? :lol: I'm interested to know if really this board has much influence on the outside world.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 5:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You reminded me of my first dojang Wohali- need I say which one - and one of the posted rules was "No Smiling in Class". I was certain I would be struck dead by the Tae Kwon Do gods because I cannot help but smile and laugh. That's just who I am. :biggrin:

(The Finns are also a people that never smile. With all those saunas you would think they would have something to smile about.)
    No smiling in class is pretty harsh for an American school. Most schools will just leave the rules at no clowning around in class as a way to discourage the excessive smiling and laughing.

With all the saunas in South Korea and what goes on in them you'd think they'd all be grinning too. But they don't. Really sad.