Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 6:30pm

Style: Glock 19

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Failed Student View Post
    Okay, so I watched the show, and I guess thirty years of martial arts training doesn't give you any special abilities or advantage, judging by their performance. Screaming 'he can do..." didn't help them either. Looked like "he can't do..."
    Better ask for your money back, MBF.
    He did alright... Holly struggled.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Jung SuWOn

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started to watch it..but then decided to take my grandson to the movies. Had I stayed there I would not have had that time with my kids and grandkids. I feel sorry for those in COL that will never have children or grandchildren. Or at least have the choice to have them if they wish.
    The real deal. No muss, no fuss, just truth

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 10:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido/Tae kwon do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't know if this has been brought up before. I was looking through a few martial arts halls of fame for more info on my master when I came across this.
    http://www.completemartialarts.com/w.../taeyunkim.htm
    I don't really know enough to take sides here, so I'll just be lurking around.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 12:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks AiTouch! Wow - this is just full of lies! Coached the TEAMS? a few individuals who happened to be a member of one of the teams perhaps, but certainly not any entire teams! And that's just the start. It's so sad - if TYK just stayed to the truth there would still be many impressive awards, even if known that many were actively pursued by the 'inner circle' students who wrote over-the-top letters and essays professing why TYK should get the award (I know, I was one) - but that was how many of the awardees of these awards got them. But there are so many outright lies here - it negates all of what may be the truth. As Bemused has said, TYK knows that the awards are hollow, and so TYK keeps requiring more and more - so much so that she'll greatly exaggerate her actual accomplishments, and even make them up completely. If only TYK listened to her own teaching - be true to yourself.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 12:59am

supporting member
     Style: Jung SuWOn

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Thanks AiTouch! Wow - this is just full of lies! Coached the TEAMS? a few individuals who happened to be a member of one of the teams perhaps, but certainly not any entire teams! And that's just the start. It's so sad - if TYK just stayed to the truth there would still be many impressive awards, even if known that many were actively pursued by the 'inner circle' students who wrote over-the-top letters and essays professing why TYK should get the award (I know, I was one) - but that was how many of the awardees of these awards got them. But there are so many outright lies here - it negates all of what may be the truth. As Bemused has said, TYK knows that the awards are hollow, and so TYK keeps requiring more and more - so much so that she'll greatly exaggerate her actual accomplishments, and even make them up completely. If only TYK listened to her own teaching - be true to yourself.
    It is really sad to read all that "stuff" Whch is what it is. I remember her wanting those "awards". We wrote the articles, we had to buy the seats at the tables to get her those "awards". Talk about an empty shell.. I guess the emptier you are, the more titles you need so people will think you are something or somebody special.
    The real deal. No muss, no fuss, just truth

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 1:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido/Tae kwon do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After coming across this http://www.taekwondohallofchampions.com/
    I am now of the opinion that she is indeed a legitimate grandmaster. That or there is some very complicated conspiracy going on.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 8:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't be easily fooled - Koren culture is very much who you know and how successful you appear, and has very little to do with actual fact. Those of us who were on 'the inside' for a long time have seen it work. TYK has built a very good appearance of being who she wants people to think she is, and the more legitimate people she can bring into her web, the more legitimate she appears.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 11:34am

Style: JSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The issue of whether TYK is a legitimate Grandmaster is separate from the issue of her abusing her students. Some legitimately credentialed therapists sleep with their patients, and their credentials don't make it okay.

Some of the Bullshido folks researched TYK's martial arts background and verified that she legitimately obtained a third-degree black belt. Her claims aren't entirely fraudulent, just exaggerated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 1:57pm

Style: My Own Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Don't be easily fooled - Koren culture is very much who you know and how successful you appear, and has very little to do with actual fact. Those of us who were on 'the inside' for a long time have seen it work. TYK has built a very good appearance of being who she wants people to think she is, and the more legitimate people she can bring into her web, the more legitimate she appears.
    Just to draw a parallel, the Rev. Moon did a ceremony for himself right in the shadow of the US Capitol building about ten years ago, when he crowned himself "Emperor of the Universe", complete with a crown and several members of Congress in attendance, although they later stated they were duped into participation.

I don't understand this need for self glorification, especially when it rings so hollow, as previously stated by several posters.

I suppose one can call himself or herself whatever they want, if that's what makes them happy. Yes Bemused, legitimately credentialed therapists, legitimately ordained priests, legitimately elected politicians, and others legitimately in authority take advantage of their status to satisfy their base desires.

Lord High Commander of the Super-Secret Order of The Invisible Pink Unicorn

Chuckling at Kyung-ae's purchased honors.

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Pet Kat Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AiTouch View Post
    After coming across this http://www.taekwondohallofchampions.com/
    I am now of the opinion that she is indeed a legitimate grandmaster. That or there is some very complicated conspiracy going on.

The presence of a title actually means nothing. I am the greatest Grandmaster of my own style: "Pet Kat Do". I only have one student... my apprentice: Sweetums. She and I work out a few hours every day. Just like the Sith there is only one master and one apprentice. Can you dispute that I am legit?

You may desire to dig a bit deeper into those titles and awards to see how they were obtained. Kim's doctorate is an honorary degree from a small college in Korea. She never studied there. She never wrote a thesis. She never defended that thesis to legitimately obtain her degree. It was a 'gift' from the college. Do you think that gift was given without strings?

Kim is a dame comandatrice in the order of constantine. Please do a bit of research on this organization and you will see that it is an 'honor mill' that, according to their prior sponsors, is issuing awards without legitimate provenance.

Kim's people love to show the picture of her with George Bush Sr. Do you know the story of it? It was obtained during a fund raising visit during the Reagan years when he was the VP. Kim had been selected by the Korean community to give him a bouquet of flowers. She was supposed to do this and then get out of the way for the important members of the Korean community to hold their meetings. But the 'flower girl' pulled off a coup and got her picture taken. It now holds a special place of honor. Do you think she tells people that she was just a flower girl who tricked her community? How do you think she presents the picture?

By all means, investigate her... but don't rely on the simple presence of a title. Learn where it came from and how it was obtained. Perhaps the best solution would be for you to visit them. After you are with them for about 10 years, you can then speak from first hand knowledge about what is fiction and what is real.