Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 7:35pm

Style: JSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wohali View Post
    So how do you know people are quitting JSW because of this thread? You got secret Ninja spies on the inside? :lol: I'm interested to know if really this board has much influence on the outside world.
    Another poster on this thread said a few JSW students has read this thread and left. I don't remember who it was. One of the people who left actually posted here himself or herself, mvgalardi I think.

Some days I'd like to be a fly on the wall at TYK's secret meetings with her COLies. Then again, it's probably more of the same of what I've witnessed already, only worse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 7:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To further answer TheLoneTiger, the biggest news of the year was the settlement between TYK and AG, her former Lighthouse president and lover. Briefly, AG wanted out and cheated, TYK fired him from Lighthouse while he was in China and manipulated the woman he cheated with into filing a restraining order, AG left COL, TYK sued AG for stealing trade secrets, then AG countersued for illegal business practices and also sued for palimony. After a bruising legal fight, TYK and AG settled out of court. The settlement happened almost exactly a year ago.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 7:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking of anniversaries, I believe it was August 12, 1999, when, after being out of COL almost a year, I finally quit Jung SuWon training and turned in my keys to the Academy, then in Milpitas. After that I was out for good, never to return. So I have been free for ten full years now, about as long as I was in the cult.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 10:52pm

Style: TKD Hapkido Judo Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bemused View Post
    Speaking of anniversaries, I believe it was August 12, 1999, when, after being out of COL almost a year, I finally quit Jung SuWon training and turned in my keys to the Academy, then in Milpitas. After that I was out for good, never to return. So I have been free for ten full years now, about as long as I was in the cult.
    You had KEYS to the place even after leaving COL? Did you also teach there or how did you warrant a set of keys? I worked at my former school both in office and as assistant instructor of the children's classes and never earned my own set of keys. Since you've been free from Kimmie have you studied elsewhere or did you give up MA's completely?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 12:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You had KEYS to the place even after leaving COL? Did you also teach there or how did you warrant a set of keys? I worked at my former school both in office and as assistant instructor of the children's classes and never earned my own set of keys. Since you've been free from Kimmie have you studied elsewhere or did you give up MA's completely?
    COL was and probably still is separate from the martial arts school. When I left COL I turned over my keys to the COL house I was living in. I retained keys to the martial arts school for longer because yes, I did teach there. I sometimes practice TKD moves on my own. If I study martial arts again it will probably be a different art, such as judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 3:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sometimes practice TKD moves on my own. If I study martial arts again it will probably be a different art, such as judo.
    That's interesting. Did she ever teach any sort of grappling or how to fall correctly techniques? I've studied TKD, HPD and Judo for 6 yrs from same GM plus Tai Chi for a year and briefly studied TSD and Issinrhyu. The only one I would go back to is TKD. I found Judo exceedingly boring even though its suppose to be the art to study for self defense purposes or so many people say this. I found I was constantly excluded from randori and sometimes even classes in Judo simply for being female. Maybe times have changed since then.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 9:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's interesting. Did she ever teach any sort of grappling or how to fall correctly techniques? I've studied TKD, HPD and Judo for 6 yrs from same GM plus Tai Chi for a year and briefly studied TSD and Issinrhyu. The only one I would go back to is TKD. I found Judo exceedingly boring even though its suppose to be the art to study for self defense purposes or so many people say this. I found I was constantly excluded from randori and sometimes even classes in Judo simply for being female. Maybe times have changed since then.
    I don't recall TYK teaching grappling techniques, but she did teach how break out of common holds and to fall correctly. Or rather, her instructors did. A cop who was training with us for a while taught me a really nifty arm lock.

If I found another martial art boring I wouldn't continue in it. But I've been too busy with music and other pursuits to join a dojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 11:16am

Style: My Own Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wanted to check in. Looking at the statistics, an additional 25 thousand views have accumulated on this thread in about ten weeks...that is phenomenal. I hope some of that is translating into both defections and dissuading others from joining Jung Suwon and their merry band.

Additionally, I notice they are changing their "Student of the Week" pretty much on time. I guess TYK has cracked the whip with the webmaster. I seriously doubt they are adding students at that rate, but I'll be watching......

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 3:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Failed Student View Post
    Looking at the statistics, an additional 25 thousand views have accumulated on this thread in about ten weeks...that is phenomenal.
    Wow. Of all the whacked out martial arts cults in existence, I wonder why the one we were in is attracting so much attention. Not that I mind. There doesn't seem to be any big news story about TYK, so I wonder how people are finding out. Is it all word of mouth? In any case, it looks like TYK may yet achieve the fame she has long sought, but not quite in the way she would have liked.

Maybe the attention is partly due to TYK being female and especially tacky. If that's the case, it is quite ironic. TYK claims to be trying to raise the status of women in martial arts, but revelations of her dishonest and abusive behavior are undermining her credibility and having the opposite effect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 4:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TYK claims to be trying to raise the status of women in martial arts, but revelations of her dishonest and abusive behavior are undermining her credibility and having the opposite effect.
    How can anyone who dresses like a prostitute in publicity photos raise the status of women in martial arts? If anything she is making it harder for females to be taken seriously.