Posted On:
    3/21/2008 9:11pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mixed martial arts has a first date with prime time

Mixed martial arts has a first date with prime time

CBS will air fights in MMA's Elite Xtreme Combat organization on May 31. The main event: middleweight champion Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith.
    By Lance Pugmire, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    March 21, 2008
    Mixed martial arts' first date on prime-time network television will be May 31, CBS announced Thursday.

The network's 9-to-11 p.m. slot for fights in MMA's Elite Xtreme Combat organization will be headlined by a main event for the middleweight title, pitting champion Robbie Lawler against Scott Smith at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

Former street fighter Kimbo Slice also will fight a heavyweight opponent on the show, with other matchups to be announced at a later date.

Elite XC President Gary Shaw said it was important to select fighters who will give first-time viewers an example of the sport at its finest.

"Robbie and Scott are both great stand-up strikers, Scott with his heavy hands and Robbie with all-action," Shaw said. "It's the type of fight that will increase our fan base, and whet their appetite for things to come.

"This is a historic night for the sport. We'll have the most eyeballs ever to watch an MMA fight."

Shaw said the broadcast will feature four to five fights, with "back stories and vignettes" inserted to explore the fighters' lifestyles. A boxing promoter, Shaw said he has taken no measures to tone down MMA's tendency to produce gory, blood-spilling battles.

"This is the real thing," Shaw said. "It won't be boring. There's no stiffs in this card. The sport is faster than boxing, and safer. We want the fans to see that.

"This is like being the homecoming queen. We know we only get one shot at our presentation."

CBS has planned four two-hour Elite XC shows to air on Saturday nights through next March. The broadcast team has yet to be announced.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/printe...,5117844.story

Lawler by 2nd round KO!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2008 10:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: brazilian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that it is great that mma is on prime time but kimbo being on the card sux. If i am some average person with no opinion on mma, watching my first show and kimbo slice comes out and ko's some no name it would probably look like human cock fighting. I would probably think they are rewarding people for fighting in unsanctioned fights "in da str33tz". I might think any jackass that lifts enough weights with a bad attitude could be a contender. I think they should start off with the best images of the sport to make sure people know kimbo is the exception not the norm.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2008 10:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hot dog! I might actually go see this and watch Kimbo fight live.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 1:37am

Style: Censorship

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the start showing these fights on network TV, then I'll definitly watch. But they have to be careful with these TV executives. They might drop it if there's any controversy.

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 8:41am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With all the UFC talent, they have Kimbo as a headliner. Not going to see much MMA from him.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 8:48am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure why everyone is so anti-Kimbo? I think he is exciting to watch, and that's a good thing. Sure...he's a little rough around the edges, but it is nice to see a street-fighter fire off some shots in the ring.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 9:26am

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kimbo is an untrained piece of ****.

He seems to have a cool personality if you look at the interview, but he really is a product of a bunch of kids on youtube thinking "lolz streetfighterz!@#!!1211!!"

He isn't skilled at MMA at all and would get the **** beaten out of him by any half-decent heavyweight.

I guess I don't really resent Kimbo or his [lack of] MMA skill. I just resent the fact that a bunch of MAP youtube assfucks got their way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 11:39am

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krazy kaju

He seems to have a cool personality if you look at the interview, but he really is a product of a bunch of kids on youtube thinking "lolz streetfighterz!@#!!1211!!"

He isn't skilled at MMA at all and would get the **** beaten out of him by any half-decent heavyweight.
    Hmm, who has more info on the situation and is more likely to be correct; Bas Rutten or krazy kaju? I think I'll have to go with Bas on this one.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krazy kaju
    Kimbo trains with Bas and won his first mma fight by submission from his back.

You fail.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 11:56am

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannibalCrowley
    Hmm, who has more info on the situation and is more likely to be correct; Bas Rutten or krazy kaju? I think I'll have to go with Bas on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by BSDaemon
    Kimbo trains with Bas and won his first mma fight by submission from his back.

You fail.
    Training with someone really good doesn't make you really good.

Kimbo has been training MMA for what? Several months?

And he beat an out-of-shape ex-boxer with a guillotine, one of the simplest submissions that you learn on your first day of BJJ. Great.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast