Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2008 12:34pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai Thai Boxing

Sacramento's premier Muay Thai academy. Run by Andy Khensamphaph, undefeated, three-time World Muay Thai Champion with MMA fight experience to boot. Andy was Gladiator Challenge, King of the Cage and WEC title holder Urijah Faber's primary striking coach and is now a trainer for other up and coming MMA and Muay Thai competitors.

The school is relatively small but more than sufficient. Everyone wants to learn and the atmosphere is family-friendly with a diverse student-body. There are pro-fighters, amateur fighters, casual trainees that want to stay in shape and others that are simply looking for a good form of self defense.

The pro-shop is very small and it is usually recommended that one obtains their equipment online, however, Muay Thai Thai Boxing has everything you need available to you. Single lessons cost $5. Noteworthy: Parking is never a problem.

$110 will only fetch three lessons per week, each additional lesson is $5. The gym has a full size ring, a great workout program for both technique, cardio and endurance as well as great teachers. Working with Andy is a dream and he offers affordable private lessons.

There are a few problems, aside from space and only being able to attend three times a week.

Ego.

Because a sparring system hasn't been completely set up yet, and isn't mandatory, some of the students have ego issues that may discourage other new-comers. However, experienced students that actually plan on fighting are not like this and are relatively easy to identify.

At any rate, the striking instruction is top-notch and after a few months it becomes a second home. Within the next year they will be moving to a larger location and will not only be open much later, but will have grappling, weights, treadmills and almost-unlimited access.

Muay Thai Thai Boxing is authentic Muay Thai.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muay_thai_006.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	8925  

Last edited by Yojimbo1717; 4/03/2008 3:19pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 4:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I no longer go to this school and as such no longer fear being honest:

Only one of the teachers is a legitimate pro (meaning he's competed in Muay Thai and MMA). The other never has and never will fight; most non-ripped-from-the-start students will never end up fighting/get any encouragement. One of my close friends will be fighting for PureCombat come May 9th in the 135 bracket and came into Muay Thai Thai Boxing a fat guy with no cardio. He's a cardio machine now (with a six pack) thanks to intense conditioning, dieting, a lot of striking prepartion and sparring and many hours of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training...along with plenty of MMA practice, all of which we did ourselves or at another school. The students that are favored are ripped and nothing more, many of them utterly incapable of ducking a punch or blocking a kick or delivering anything resembling damage. Four students have fought amateur Muay Thai, none have gone pro.

The mats are NEVER clean, ever. That's not just disgusting, it's a health hazard.

It could be a good school, but the anti-grappling sentiment of a Muay Thai school with MMA posters all over the place (Andy K., again, was Urijah Faber's striking coach) ruins it, on top of often non-existant instruction, especially when the class is run by students that have never sparred or fought. Sparring isn't emphasized enough (when it occurs it's a big event) and the only saving grace is Andy K, however, he's not running the show, he has a family to support and several other jobs. Maybe in a few years the place will be nice, but until then, it's a school for soccer moms and paper champions in the making. Questions? Comments?

Again, Andy K. is the man and one of the best teachers and friends I've ever had, it's just the establishment needs a lot of work.
    Last edited by Yojimbo1717; 8/29/2008 1:28am at . Reason: Basic edits

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 1:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

PUNK ASS BITCH!

You talking **** about us The Same way you were talking **** about Ultimate Fitness when I met you. Who cornered your boy Joe at his fight in Stockton (Andy K) did you punk bitch, and the reason why you didn't sparr was because you had no kind of technique you couldn't even throw a fucken punch, 13 year old vince would have knocked you the **** out. Little do you know we now have Nick Diaz teaching BJJ 3 times per week something that will get us started until we move to a bigger Facility which will be early next year, yeah our gym may be small now, but we have the best Muay Thai technique in Sacramento and it's vicious, We recently came from Las Vegas where we wen't up against Master Toddy's student's and we Wooped ass, so it don't matter how small our gym is we have everything we need to become great fighters, and 99% of that is heart, something that you don't have, so keep going from gym to gym talking **** on the internet how unsecsesful your training has been, because you lack in putting in time and training hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 1:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the time Ultimate Fitness had no sparring and was really expensive; once my contract was up, apparently, they started including sparring and better contract packages/arrangements. Which is great - it's good to see improvement. I haven't heard much about MTTB since I left, but if it has improved, great. That's great to see, especially with a gym that's still up and coming.

The problems I experienced may not be experienced by everyone so it's up for the reader to decide if my two cents are worth it or not. I didn't get to spar nearly as much as I wanted to. While I was there, more often than not, a non-former-professional fighter was doing the teaching. While I was there, there were a lot of problems - which is what factored into my review. If things have changed then that's great. I don't wish anything bad on the school, to be blunt, it has a lot of potential and while I was there, it seemed like that potential wasn't being lived up to. All the luck in the world to MTTB, I just didn't have a particularly great experience and often times felt uncomfortable with the atmosphere I described, as others have indeed mentioned. The fighter mentioned, Joe; his professional debut that was referred to in both posts was a pure example of clinch, take-down, position, submission attempts and ground and pound.

As for the talk about Las Vegas, from what I was informed, it wasn't nearly as successful as indicated, apparently 1 of 3 MTTB fighters won. Congrats on the win, especially against Master Toddy's students, but there's really no need to exaggerate. As for Nick Diaz...most top-tier [low and mid tier, sure] professional fighters, especially contenders, don't teach, so I'm not really sure what to make of that claim.

As for unsuccessful training and lacking dedication (sorry, but the time I did spend there I was at MTTB or UF for a total of almost 30 hours a week, which, last time I checked, is pretty dedicated), frankly, things have been going really smoothly.

Readers: These are two extreme views, please, take both with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Yojimbo1717; 8/29/2008 12:19pm at .

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 1:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This school has the most unoriginal name ever.

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 3:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thsi school is amazing anyone can thrive its not were theres 5 maine guys and every one else doesnt matter i spar all the time and its a great work out i have a unlimited pass there for about 120 dollars a month its amazing