Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/18/2014 7:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BETTER THAN YEMASO

[QUOTE=FightLife;2827995]i have been training with mark at yemaso for about a year then i decided to try out bruddas. it has been great mario is a very hunble instructor and i would have to say better than mark. they have a new space that is 2x the space than it was before he has also recently opened up a kids class to. oh yeah gracie affiliated and he has 11-12 black belts

Posted On:
    3/08/2015 2:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been at Bruddas now for a few months and absolutely love the place. The atmosphere is very welcoming and supportive. There's no white belt smashing going on, only good training. As Yojimbo said, no egos.

I tried pretty much every other school in Sacramento, and I liked all of them, but Bruddas really made me feel welcome.

How do I describe Mario? He is a very friendly and inviting guy. His instruction is incredibly detailed and technical without being overwhelming. He places a huge emphasis on technique and efficiency over strength and exertion. The guy looks like he is having the time of his life, all the time. I'll watch him roll with experienced guys and just smash them, with a big grin on his face the entire time. If Mario's not there, one of his other black belts will be teaching and you can tell that Mario's teaching style and his attitude has definitely rubbed off on them.

The attitude is very laid-back and chill (no "oss"-ing or bowing, etc.) but the rolls can be intense if you want. Guys will go hard if that's what you're looking for. While Bruddas is not a competition-style gym, there are guys that actively compete and/or fight MMA, so you can get tough training if you need it.

The curriculum is definitely old-school Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, but there are guys there that are more than happy to work x-guard or De La Riva, etc. I think Mario was teaching a berimbolo counter the other day.

Class structure is a bit unique. The schedule says 6-8pm, but really the first hour is just free-rolling. Mario will start actual instruction a little before 7 and you have your standard BJJ warmups and conditioning. We'll usually finish warmups with some duckunders and judo uchikomi, usually something like koshi guruma or uchi mata.

Then usually two or three techniques are shown and drilled, and the upper belts are very helpful about partnering with lower belts and helping teach the movements during the drilling. After drilling, there's usually 10 or 15 minutes left for positional sparring or free-rolling.

Class size is usually pretty small, say 5-10 guys, so you can start standing if you like during sparring.

Morning classes are even smaller, sometimes only 1 or 2 others in class with you. They are slower-paced with a bigger emphasis on self-defense and fundamentals. Morning classes are only 90 minutes, but there will still be time for some sparring.

What else can I say? I love this place, but I probably never would have given it a second thought had I not stopped in on a whim. They don't market themselves, they don't have a secretary. It's just a hole-in-the-wall BJJ club with great training partners and awesome instruction. It's the best-kept secret in Sacrament.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12