Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2008 12:05pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bruddas Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Classes begin at 6PM and end at 9PM Monday through Friday with open mat on the weekends. The class setup is one hour of free rolling, one hour of technique/semi-compliant drills (we have a resident Judo Black Belt that helps us with various throws and take-downs) and another hour of free rolling.

Note: Bruddas is gi-oriented, but there's always a no-gi explanation and going no-gi is perfectly acceptable.

Mario Cerezo is a competing black belt whose trained under several Gracies and sports the most family-like BJJ school in Sacramento. The school is open to men, women and children of all sorts (granted there are only a few of the latter two) and emphasizes a helpful learning environment; all of the players are friends.

Some players are MMA-oriented, some are pure grapplers; there are athletes, parents looking to get into shape and casual lovers of the sport; it's very diverse (there are power-lifters, body-builders, boxers, kick-boxers, stick-fighters, wrestlers and judokas) and as such, the style that develops amongst open-minded, dedicated students is very versatile and there's constant learning. Egos are non-existent.

The skill level is varied and the school's attitude is laid-back as can be with a competitive edge and a love for martial arts and combat in general.

Parking isn't a problem and although the school is small, there's always plenty of room to roll. Contracts run from month-to-month to six-month terms - Mario is as flexible and genuine as teachers come. No one gets special treatment but players assist one-another in meeting their training goals.

Yes, there is MMA sparring on some weekends, it depends on who is there.

Come visit us for a free class - just sign the waiver!

EDIT:

I've decided that although I love Bruddas, my review isn't super accurate, so I've altered my scores; while Mario is by far the most technical instructor I've ever worked with, we don't have any Mundials champions or ADCC competitiors - granted, two of our guys got Gold at the Pan Ams. Therefore I've reduced that. While we do have more or less full contact sparring, it's really only on weekends and it's now only a few people, while it's a great school in terms of aliveness for grappling, it may not be in terms of MMA. Finally, attitude - no school is perfect. 9 works, even though most of us are really good friends, even outside of training.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bruddas_bjj_logo.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	8923  

Attached Images  
    Last edited by Yojimbo1717; 7/06/2009 5:34pm at . Reason: Cleaning it up, adding a few things I missed

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard very, very good things about Mario's skills on the mat and teaching ability even though he's not known by too many people.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 2:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard great things about Bruddas, and have been by, but have never rolled there. The facilities are, shall we say, Spartan. The school/gym is a small store front with blue mats in a sketchy-looking strip mall in the Korean/Viet neighborhood of East Sacramento.

The location/appearance would put off a lot of people who didn't know better.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2008 3:01pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mario likes to keep it small, or so is my understanding.

If you're interested in learning, Bruddas is the place.

If I was allowed, and BJJ didn't require two people I'd probably never leave.