Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2008 12:05pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bruddas Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Classes begin at 6PM and end at 9PM Monday through Friday with open mat on the weekends. The class setup is one hour of free rolling, one hour of technique/semi-compliant drills (we have a resident Judo Black Belt that helps us with various throws and take-downs) and another hour of free rolling.

Note: Bruddas is gi-oriented, but there's always a no-gi explanation and going no-gi is perfectly acceptable.

Mario Cerezo is a competing black belt whose trained under several Gracies and sports the most family-like BJJ school in Sacramento. The school is open to men, women and children of all sorts (granted there are only a few of the latter two) and emphasizes a helpful learning environment; all of the players are friends.

Some players are MMA-oriented, some are pure grapplers; there are athletes, parents looking to get into shape and casual lovers of the sport; it's very diverse (there are power-lifters, body-builders, boxers, kick-boxers, stick-fighters, wrestlers and judokas) and as such, the style that develops amongst open-minded, dedicated students is very versatile and there's constant learning. Egos are non-existent.

The skill level is varied and the school's attitude is laid-back as can be with a competitive edge and a love for martial arts and combat in general.

Parking isn't a problem and although the school is small, there's always plenty of room to roll. Contracts run from month-to-month to six-month terms - Mario is as flexible and genuine as teachers come. No one gets special treatment but players assist one-another in meeting their training goals.

Yes, there is MMA sparring on some weekends, it depends on who is there.

Come visit us for a free class - just sign the waiver!

EDIT:

I've decided that although I love Bruddas, my review isn't super accurate, so I've altered my scores; while Mario is by far the most technical instructor I've ever worked with, we don't have any Mundials champions or ADCC competitiors - granted, two of our guys got Gold at the Pan Ams. Therefore I've reduced that. While we do have more or less full contact sparring, it's really only on weekends and it's now only a few people, while it's a great school in terms of aliveness for grappling, it may not be in terms of MMA. Finally, attitude - no school is perfect. 9 works, even though most of us are really good friends, even outside of training.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bruddas_bjj_logo.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	8923  

Attached Images  
    Last edited by Yojimbo1717; 7/06/2009 5:34pm at . Reason: Cleaning it up, adding a few things I missed

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard very, very good things about Mario's skills on the mat and teaching ability even though he's not known by too many people.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 2:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard great things about Bruddas, and have been by, but have never rolled there. The facilities are, shall we say, Spartan. The school/gym is a small store front with blue mats in a sketchy-looking strip mall in the Korean/Viet neighborhood of East Sacramento.

The location/appearance would put off a lot of people who didn't know better.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2008 3:01pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mario likes to keep it small, or so is my understanding.

If you're interested in learning, Bruddas is the place.

If I was allowed, and BJJ didn't require two people I'd probably never leave.

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 12:14am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Today is my Jiujitsiversary. Celebrating 8 years in pajama wrasslin'.

It's been a day for taking stock, today. And I'm bumping this thing, because Bruddas was one of the best places I ever trained. It's the most laid back place I ever set foot in, and I learned so much there.

Now Mario... Mario is great. Look at that picture Yojimbo1717 posted. You will never, ever see that in real life: That's Mario trying to look serious. Dude always has a big grin on his face. He also has a way of stating technical things that makes them really simple.

I visited a ton of schools in Sac before joining Bruddas. I had a little over 3 years experience and a purple belt at the time, I would like to think it was a very informed decision. You really can't do better.
    Last edited by Tenebrous; 6/18/2014 12:18am at .
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Posted On:
    6/26/2014 10:21am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous View Post
    Today is my Jiujitsiversary. Celebrating 8 years in pajama wrasslin'.

It's been a day for taking stock, today. And I'm bumping this thing, because Bruddas was one of the best places I ever trained. It's the most laid back place I ever set foot in, and I learned so much there.

Now Mario... Mario is great. Look at that picture Yojimbo1717 posted. You will never, ever see that in real life: That's Mario trying to look serious. Dude always has a big grin on his face. He also has a way of stating technical things that makes them really simple.

I visited a ton of schools in Sac before joining Bruddas. I had a little over 3 years experience and a purple belt at the time, I would like to think it was a very informed decision. You really can't do better.
    Do you still train there? How would you compare it to other Sacramento BJJ schools like Cassio's or Yemaso's? I'm asking because I'm thinking of joining Bruddas, but they're not as well-known as other schools in Sacramento.

Posted On:
    6/26/2014 12:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Project155 View Post
    Do you still train there? How would you compare it to other Sacramento BJJ schools like Cassio's or Yemaso's? I'm asking because I'm thinking of joining Bruddas, but they're not as well-known as other schools in Sacramento.
    Nah, I haven't lived in sac for a while. I went back to SoCal as a pitstop on my way to Tennessee, and I'm back in SoCal again at Team Quest.

Those schools are larger, and more structured. Bruddas is also run by guys with other jobs, so their schedule isn't as robust. For example... It's hard to get someone on the phone, because they're only open during their night time training window. I didn't really know that and almost shrugged them off after calling a couple times and not getting a call back. They weren't really concerned with chasing me down and growing the business, which is a huge concern with pretty much every other school I've been to.

It was also the first place where there were sometimes (just sometimes) 3 or 4 blackbelts in the room. In a very small space. So while one might be teaching, you can get paired up with a blackbelt for drilling or rolling pretty easily. Getting one on one help from a blackbelt is pretty easy under those conditions. One of my favorite triangle setups just comes from being paired with Canyon, and him saying "Hey, you like triangles, I think this setup would work great for you". And I proceeded to murder opponenets with it for the next two years. I still get mileage out of that thing. Mario was playing Gandalf one night, shutting down my crappy passing attempts with a big smile. But he gave a crazy simple comment that totally changed the way I pass.

The individual attention from high-level dudes, stemming from the small class size, is huge. They're not big, partly I think, because they have day jobs and they're not trying to run a franchise. This hole in the wall is just their place to roll after work, and share a little jiu jitsu. But I had to go down there during class time to check them out because I wasn't getting someone on the phone. It was worth it, in any case.

Do what I did: Everyone in town has some sort of free trial period. Check them all out. It's like reading rainbow, you don't have to take my word for it.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Posted On:
    6/26/2014 1:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous View Post
    Nah, I haven't lived in sac for a while. I went back to SoCal as a pitstop on my way to Tennessee, and I'm back in SoCal again at Team Quest.

Those schools are larger, and more structured. Bruddas is also run by guys with other jobs, so their schedule isn't as robust. For example... It's hard to get someone on the phone, because they're only open during their night time training window. I didn't really know that and almost shrugged them off after calling a couple times and not getting a call back. They weren't really concerned with chasing me down and growing the business, which is a huge concern with pretty much every other school I've been to.

It was also the first place where there were sometimes (just sometimes) 3 or 4 blackbelts in the room. In a very small space. So while one might be teaching, you can get paired up with a blackbelt for drilling or rolling pretty easily. Getting one on one help from a blackbelt is pretty easy under those conditions. One of my favorite triangle setups just comes from being paired with Canyon, and him saying "Hey, you like triangles, I think this setup would work great for you". And I proceeded to murder opponenets with it for the next two years. I still get mileage out of that thing. Mario was playing Gandalf one night, shutting down my crappy passing attempts with a big smile. But he gave a crazy simple comment that totally changed the way I pass.

The individual attention from high-level dudes, stemming from the small class size, is huge. They're not big, partly I think, because they have day jobs and they're not trying to run a franchise. This hole in the wall is just their place to roll after work, and share a little jiu jitsu. But I had to go down there during class time to check them out because I wasn't getting someone on the phone. It was worth it, in any case.

Do what I did: Everyone in town has some sort of free trial period. Check them all out. It's like reading rainbow, you don't have to take my word for it.
    Thanks for the reply. What would you say is the difference in training style and/or philosophy between Bruddas and the other schools? It looks to me like they don't place a big emphasis on competition because I don't come up with many results when I search for them. Is that because the guys at Bruddas are like you say, guys with jobs as opposed to kids in their teens and twenties who have the freedom to compete all the time? What's your opinion on Charles Gracie? He's not as well-known as the other Gracies in NorCal like Cesar or Ralph, and I'm not seeing a lot of competition results from his other schools either. I know I won't be training under Charles directly, but with Bruddas as part of his association, he undoubtedly has some influence.

I'm sorry for the million dumb questions, but I really want to pick a great school, and I'm not knowledgeable enough about BJJ to really form an educated opinion. I read somewhere that one way to judge a school is by it's competition results, so maybe I'm leaning a little too heavily on that. Yelp is no help, as everything is either the greatest BJJ gym ever or it's a total ripoff and they hate their students. No honest reviews there. I'm in my mid 30's with a real job and other responsibilities, so being a serious competitor isn't realistic at this stage in my life, but I am interesting in competing and succeeding in competition. I am also interested in realistic self-defense and fitness as well. I've done classes at Yemaso, Cassio's, Maxwell, Bragiao and Bruddas, and they all seem pretty similar, so I just wanted someone with more intimate knowledge to give me a head's up.

Thanks again and I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Posted On:
    6/26/2014 3:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Project155 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. What would you say is the difference in training style and/or philosophy between Bruddas and the other schools? It looks to me like they don't place a big emphasis on competition because I don't come up with many results when I search for them. Is that because the guys at Bruddas are like you say, guys with jobs as opposed to kids in their teens and twenties who have the freedom to compete all the time? What's your opinion on Charles Gracie? He's not as well-known as the other Gracies in NorCal like Cesar or Ralph, and I'm not seeing a lot of competition results from his other schools either. I know I won't be training under Charles directly, but with Bruddas as part of his association, he undoubtedly has some influence.

I'm sorry for the million dumb questions, but I really want to pick a great school, and I'm not knowledgeable enough about BJJ to really form an educated opinion. I read somewhere that one way to judge a school is by it's competition results, so maybe I'm leaning a little too heavily on that. Yelp is no help, as everything is either the greatest BJJ gym ever or it's a total ripoff and they hate their students. No honest reviews there. I'm in my mid 30's with a real job and other responsibilities, so being a serious competitor isn't realistic at this stage in my life, but I am interesting in competing and succeeding in competition. I am also interested in realistic self-defense and fitness as well. I've done classes at Yemaso, Cassio's, Maxwell, Bragiao and Bruddas, and they all seem pretty similar, so I just wanted someone with more intimate knowledge to give me a head's up.

Thanks again and I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
    I googled them, they remodeled their website and added more classes to the schedule. So that has changed apparently.

You know, they didn't drive the students toward competitions like other schools. They just pushed themselves and went. Some of the blackbelts competed while I was there. If I recall correctly, at the time, you could go to Charles' school to visit or for a seminar or whatever, but it wasn't required. I don't even know what influence he had, to be honest.

If your only concern is competition, then a gym that rallies the troops and tried to send a huge showing to a competition and snag metals is going to be helpful. There will be a sort of support group for the thing that you're trying to do. They will maybe even do rounds with competition-specific rules and count points. I have competed, but I was never really that into it. Bruddas is small, and they never really pushed the whole class to show at a competition, so their showing is going to be way more random. Hell, that could have changed, but that didn't really seem to be their style at the time.

Posted On:
    7/18/2014 6:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BETTER THAN YEMASO

i have been training with mark at yemaso for about a year then i decided to try out bruddas. it has been great mario is a very hunble instructor and i would have to say better than mark. they have a new space that is 2x the space than it was before he has also recently opened up a kids class to.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast