Posted On:
    3/20/2008 7:31am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing - for anybody?

Greetings,

I am curious about what you guys think of a phenomenon we're having over here in Slovakia... I just happened to work on a report about this guy, an ex-cop and a pretty successful enterpreneur making business with everything from making Tokaj wines to building ships.

He's supposedly also a former boxer and now he decided to lively up his new huge discotheque with so called "midnight boxing matches".

He built a (allegedly olympic quality) boxing ring in one of the rooms of the discotheque. At midnight during weekends, anybody male/female, young/old can pull gloves on and enter the ring. Including children (from 12, accompanied by parents) and also people with some alcohol in their blood.

Gloves are the only safety equipment, people who never had any boxing training enter the ring in the clothes they arrived at the discotheque at, only shoe-less.

There's a security guard acting as referee, with a live gun (!) on his side - this was one of the biggest shockers for me personally...

Anybody entering gets 100,- Slovak crowns paid (about 4-5 USD), the winner gets 500,- SK (about 20 USD). Illegal betting is being rumoured.

The organizer claims to do this in order to reduce he amount of fights that would happen anyhow and as a way to pick out boxing talents that could join his official boxing club - a newcomer in the world of Slovak amateur boxing, not yet fully accredited.

The Slovak association of boxers amateurs (http://www.skboxing.sk/) is against this practice and all boxers/trainers I spoke with say this has nothing to do with the sport of boxing. A trainer I spoke with also spoke of at least 5 months of gym training needed for a total newcomer before any match.

The thing is the organizers call it boxing, the website's address with the videos of the matches is almost identical to the official amateur boxing site, etc. - this thing can be viewed by the less informed public as boxing, which it is not.

Here is a link to the videos of some of the matches (including one with 2 obviously drunk people):

http://www.skboxing.com/index.php?op...d=923&Itemid=1

Another element to be taken into consideration is that the mostly poor Gypsy population of the Eastern Slovak town is admiring this guy, the organizer. He is relatively successful and rich, offers them jobs, has built the disco for them...

What do you guys think of this?

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 7:44am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do they chant "two men enter, one mans leaves"?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 7:48am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a Van Damme movie
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Old School DM

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 7:50am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because, of course, the best way to identify legitimate boxing talent is to let random drunks beat on each other in front of a screaming crowd...

I wonder how long it will take until someone is hurt or crippled. I vote not long...
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 8:11am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is no Bloodsport, if you check out the videos - and you should - most of the "matches" are considered fun by both participants...

During 2 months of the "midnight league" nobody was hurt seriously, although I too believe it was rather due to luck than planning.

However, we're talking about the "good name" of boxing as a sport/art and about whether this is an acceptable way to scout for boxing talents...

If the organizer would do this just because of financial gain (the matches mean more people come to the disco and spend money there), I'd be willing to say: let him.
    This way it seems like he's bastardizing boxing...

Although it's true that young gypsy boys often show remarkable physical talent for boxing and that their poorness/living conditions often means they cannot afford to join an ordinary boxing club...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 9:05am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see how an event like this would be sucessful.

Alot of fairs in Northern English Towns used to do a simular sort of thing before we all became health and safety obsessed thanks to the EU.

Still its not gonna do the sport of boxing a world of good is it?
    Particularly if someone gets seriously injured- which is more than likely if alcohol is involved.

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 9:07am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do they try to match guys equally or can a "ringer" really cut up a guy....

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 11:22am

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No mouthpieces? Does this guy have a sideline in dentistry?

I wonder what gloves they are using.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 2:17pm

Style: Censorship

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought I saw this on Undisputed II.

Posted On:
    3/21/2008 10:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds worrying to me. Maybe on the plus side itll cut down on more dangerous bar fights by giving them a chance to settle their differences in a more controlled form of combat.