Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2008 5:54pm

Style: BJJ/Submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not...

...but basically, it isn't bad to be "strong" in jits. It's bad to rely on being "strong" to achieve your goals in jits. You should be relying on solid technique.

I always figured that calling someone "strong" was a way for more experienced but out of shape grapplers to simultaneous insult and compliment a less experienced but more athletic partner.

i.e. "Wow, you're really strong" as opposed to "You're really good."

One implies you might be an athletic spaz who covers crap technique with raw powah, the other implies that you're actually technically proficient.
    I absolutely HATE when someone says, "You're strong". I try so hard to be technical and then when someone says this it is like a slap in the face.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/21/2008 7:00pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't see how "you're strong" is any different than "you're flexible" or "you've got good balance." our strongest guys are also some of our most technical.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    3/21/2008 8:51pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky
    Any half-guard sweep that isn't pin-and-roll based torques the knee. Not in a noticeable way if your knee isn't fucked up, but it sure as **** does if it is. I know that because the guys are my club use (or attempt to use) those sweeps on me at every class. That one Bravo was using in particular. It hurts like a ************. Sometimes I have to tap to the sweep, not a sub, just the position. It feels like my leg is about to come apart. Because it IS.

I'm pretty sure you know more about the technical side of half-guard sweeps than I do, but I know for an abosolute FACT that those sweeps torque the connective tissues in the knee. So, without further ado, eat a fat dick.
    I'm gonna say that if your knee is sufficiently injured that any half-guard sweep constitutes "going after it", rolling at all is pretty dumb

And rolling with someone whose entire game revolves around sweeping from the half-guard, and leading with your sore knee as you attempt to guard pass, is monumentally retarded
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 2:09am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It isn't fighting. Bravo could've gone for something els-oh wait, nevermind, I forgot, he literally doesn't even know how NOT to pull half-guard, silly me. Or could it be that he didn't want to be embarassed?

Anyway, my knee being fucked prevents me from being able to handle some positions (not entirely, but it's ALWAYS annoying). I don't whine about it because I usually don't say "Let's go light", but if they already KNOW and go for it anyway, then they get neckcranked the next time we roll. It doesn't have to be a submitting neckcrank, just as painful as possible, and it has the fringe benefit of fucking up those sweeps.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your knee is so fucked that any half guard sweep will constitute "going after it", and you insist on rolling anyway, then perhaps you should stop if you wind up in half guard.

Or possibly just suck it up and not roll until you heal to the point that you're not in danger in a basic fucking position.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your knee is so fucked that any half guard sweep will constitute "going after it", and you insist on rolling anyway, then perhaps you should stop if you wind up in half guard.
    I do.

Or possibly just suck it up and not roll until you heal to the point that you're not in danger in a basic fucking position.
    Steroids are awesome.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 12:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, going after someone's injury is really cheap and shows a complete lack of class and skill. Can you imagine if the japanese guy had just grabbed Bravo's injured arm and repeatedly tried to kimura or straighten it out and bar when the technique obviously was not working, but aggravated Bravo's injury? That said, I love Eddie Bravo and I have his first book. I am slowly but surely mastering the rubber-guard. I wish he would compete more and stop trying to make music. His music is terrible, go to his myspace and listen for yourself!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 8:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looked to me that Eddie was just playing his game. Maybe his opponent should have waited to heal up a little bit before entering a match, challenging someone at their gym on camera. Yes, Bravo went for the banana split from the half guard, but it was there and available because of the position his opponent put himself in. This was a challenged match...a "fight". If Uematsu had available a Kimura on Bravos injured arm, I feel confident he would have ripped it off and took it home with him on videotape.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123