Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 11:32pm

Style: BJJ newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OniSan81
    http://www.genbukan.ca/modules.php?name=dojos

These are the Genbukan dojos all over the world. Go to Canada and you'll see a few. The guys are VERY tough, I was utterly shocked after my wussy experience at the Buj.

If you insist on going with the Buj, a tough Israeli guy teaches here. Link is below. Only problem is he teaches there only his higher up belts. But the work ethic is strong.

http://www.bufuikan.com/

Try the Genbukan, after 20 years in martial arts, I would recommend them. I was shocked with their level of knowledge...not bad ground skills either, very Judo ne waza style.
    Just quickly, why do you say 20 years? I started it quite a young and am still there today. I forget the actual website, but just type Nanzan dojo into google, and Australian site, it's the first one that comes up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 1:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buj, Jin, Gen ... all have the same problem, which is that Takamatsu possibly made up the ninja and other ryuha.

Changing from Buj to Jin isn't going to change the fact that the ryuha could be made up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 7:00am

Style: Taijutsu, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shmuel
    Buj, Jin, Gen ... all have the same problem, which is that Takamatsu possibly made up the ninja and other ryuha.

Changing from Buj to Jin isn't going to change the fact that the ryuha could be made up.
    OH NO! :eatbaby:

The problem is that the same thing can be said about alot of old ryu, it's hard to prove some things, especially if someone demands proof that comes in a light package. If you really try to investigate the whole thing for your self, like most serious X-kan students have had to, imo the claims are nothing but reasonable, especially since there isn't any logical reason for making the stuff up. But I don't want to get involved in a several hour long debate that has been discussed a hundred times before, and that neither me or the guy or girl im debating against is qualified to discuss.

Anyway the biggest differences between the X-kans and certain other Ryu are:

* The whole ninja thing, which some people don't understand and think is too mysterious to be for real and ****.

* The sheer size of the orgs, which is probably alot due to the whole ninja thing.

* Alot of really poor training, especially in the US and Europe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 2:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SWEHurricane
    The problem is that the same thing can be said about alot of old ryu,
    Really? Which old ryu?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 8:47pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not exactly,

Neither the Genbukan nor the Jinenkan use Togakure-ryu as their claim to fame like the Bujinkan. Arts such as the Kukishiden-ryu and Takgai Yoshin-ryu aren't in question as Takamatsu's status came form being a Kukishin-ryu Shihan, which is documented. Tanemura's Kokusai Jujutsu is mainly Takagi Yoshin-ryu and Asayma Ichiden-ryu. You will find a few Yoshin-ryu branches in many books including Serge Mol's stuff as well as Asayama Ichiden-ryu. As for the Genbukan Ninpo Taijutsu stuff, it mainly Kukishiden-ryu Daken, Gyokko-ryu Koshi and Koto-ryu Koppo. Actually the main kihon and dan level stuff has no Togakure-ryu.

I'll let the Jinenkan speak for themselves, however, looking at there techniques its very similar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2008 6:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    Not exactly,

Neither the Genbukan nor the Jinenkan use Togakure-ryu as their claim to fame like the Bujinkan. Arts such as the Kukishiden-ryu and Takgai Yoshin-ryu aren't in question as Takamatsu's status came form being a Kukishin-ryu Shihan, which is documented. Tanemura's Kokusai Jujutsu is mainly Takagi Yoshin-ryu and Asayma Ichiden-ryu. You will find a few Yoshin-ryu branches in many books including Serge Mol's stuff as well as Asayama Ichiden-ryu. As for the Genbukan Ninpo Taijutsu stuff, it mainly Kukishiden-ryu Daken, Gyokko-ryu Koshi and Koto-ryu Koppo. Actually the main kihon and dan level stuff has no Togakure-ryu.

I'll let the Jinenkan speak for themselves, however, looking at there techniques its very similar.
    From what I have heard the Genbukan puts more focus on the individual ryu, which includes Togakure ryu. This year is the first year in a long time that the Bujinkan has focused on Togakure ryu. But it depends from school to school.

Personally I would love to learn it and see what its all about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2008 6:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? Which old ryu?
    As I said I'm not qualified to discuss this since I don't know enough, sooner or later I would inevitably get lost in a long long discussion and just start spitting out bullshit, I know how these debates go from experience. And I count me quoting sources I can't remember how to find as bullshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2008 11:07am

Style: Genbukan Ninpo Bugei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razma
    Just quickly, why do you say 20 years? I started it quite a young and am still there today. I forget the actual website, but just type Nanzan dojo into google, and Australian site, it's the first one that comes up.
    Twenty years in Martial Arts, not 20 years in Genbukan or otherwise. I started in Kyokushin at age six, continued for several several years, until I moved to another province.

I find the physical fitness of those in the Genbukan far higher than what I have seen at the Buj.
    Last edited by OniSan81; 8/18/2008 9:50pm at .

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/10/2008 12:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OniSan81
    I went to a seminar with Shihan James Wright, one of the higher and scarier ranking members (this guys has documented tiffs with the Triads and Yakuza).
    Really. Where?
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2008 3:23pm

Style: Genbukan Ninpo Bugei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kitchener? I believe it was there. It was two or three weeks ago.

About 60 people were there. It was held at a Judo club.
    Last edited by OniSan81; 8/18/2008 9:50pm at .
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast