Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 3:02pm

Style: Genbukan Ninpo Bugei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Genbukan instructor, charges 40 bucks a month. Even in my 6 years in Kyokushin, I have seldom been in so much pain from someone.

Otherwise, places are usually 80-90 bucks a month in my experience.
    Last edited by OniSan81; 8/18/2008 9:48pm at .

Posted On:
    3/23/2008 2:45am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nintek
    Ahh dude I have tried the booj. Some of those guys have egos that are bigger than Godzilla. It is a bit nnoying anytime I asked someone on the bujinkan a question and they answerd with a questions themselves. I undertand the asking the right questons to get people to think but the load of BS I run into on a constant basis from these guys on forums is outrageous. Anyway not all Bujinkan dojos are like this but finding the ones that emphasize "live training" and sparring is hard. There aren't any in NYC that I have encountered. If any of you have found one let me know, I would like to check them out.
    ninja dad runs a bujinkan school in nyc.

he seems really on top of ****, willing to back **** up and is all and all a really good guy. if i was going to learn ninjering i would do it from him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2008 5:28am

Style: Taijutsu, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    I wonder who the OP trained with. I had a bit of experience with Court Elliott, who is now apparently a 10+ dan. He can in fact fight; I saw him handle a guy fresh off the street who wanted to see how good he was. Rumour has it that this is largely the product of having some sort of prior JJ experience.

His students c. 1992-1994 I was not so impressed with. I have no idea about the current crop of megadans and others.
    I don't know anything about him. But that is an interesting thing that I have noticed.

It seems that people that have had alot of "alive" training in a previous MA bring that experience to their taijutsu training and get better at it than most purists do. When sparring, they have this ability to react faster to changes and use the opportunitys that they get. Also, if they bring that to the way they teach, their students seem to get better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2008 6:16pm

Style: Taijutsu/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how come no one hears alot about the jinenkan?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2008 10:27am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wind
    how come no one hears alot about the jinenkan?
    They're smaller, less politicized, and mainly interested in doing what they are doing rather then getting into fights over authenticity, claiming ultimate badassedness by proxy or otherwise putting their nose in the public square.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 5:12pm

Style: Taijutsu/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    They're smaller, less politicized, and mainly interested in doing what they are doing rather then getting into fights over authenticity, claiming ultimate badassedness by proxy or otherwise putting their nose in the public square.
    so basically your saying they're the smartest of the three?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 10:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I belong to the Genbukan. I rarely, to never, see any ads for the Gen or the Jin. It's the Buj that has really dominated the scene, and also give the rest of the Ninpo practioners, in my opinion, bad names. Not all Buj schools are bad of course, but there is only one club in my province, out of 4-5 Buj clubs, that is actually good and teaches effective combat.

Genbukan has been a pleasant surprise. Last class we did two hours of throws, mostly from Judo, and a lot of lapel chokes...which gave me a sore throat for about a week. It is this kind of contact that really separates it from some of the other fluffy ninpo schools. The other thing is, we don't hear the word "ninja" in the school. It's just a martial art for them.

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 12:06pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OniSan81
    I belong to the Genbukan. I rarely, to never, see any ads for the Gen or the Jin. It's the Buj that has really dominated the scene, and also give the rest of the Ninpo practioners, in my opinion, bad names. Not all Buj schools are bad of course, but there is only one club in my province, out of 4-5 Buj clubs, that is actually good and teaches effective combat.
    Which Ontario group do you like? A buddy of mine is training at a Bujinkan place near Oshawa and has had mixed feelings about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 7:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.genbukan.ca/modules.php?name=dojos

These are the Genbukan dojos all over the world. Go to Canada and you'll see a few. The guys are VERY tough, I was utterly shocked after my wussy experience at the Buj.

If you insist on going with the Buj, a tough Israeli guy teaches here. Link is below. Only problem is he teaches there only his higher up belts. But the work ethic is strong.

http://www.bufuikan.com/

Try the Genbukan, after 20 years in martial arts, I would recommend them. I was shocked with their level of knowledge...not bad ground skills either, very Judo ne waza style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 11:30pm

Style: BJJ newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the whole reason I switched from Bujinkan to Genbukan, too much screwing around with sloppy, slow techniques and not enough sparring and semi-real fight experience
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast