Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 9:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The biography written by his wife mentions Lee's participation in that High School Boxing tournament. He supposedly won by K.O. against a student from King George School.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 9:25am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    How about the fight.......how does he do?
    What, the boxing championship? Well, according to Hawkins, Bruce won the championship.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 9:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by X_plosion
    The biography written by his wife mentions Lee's participation in that High School Boxing tournament. He supposedly won by K.O. against a student from King George School.
    Well, Linda says a lot of things and supervised one sorry excuse for a biopic movie about Bruce Lee but according to this link:http://www.historylink.org/essays/ou...m?file_id=3999

He enrolled at St Francis Xavier where a teacher encouraged him to enter the inter-school boxing championships. He went through the elimination rounds easily, then faced the three-time champion Gary Elms from the rival British King George V High School. Bruce won by knock out in the third round.
    Last edited by Elemental Fist; 3/20/2008 9:36am at .

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 9:55am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental Fist
    What, the boxing championship? Well, according to Hawkins, Bruce won the championship.

no no...the guy he was training, his fight on the dock.....

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 9:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stuff, I want to know is if he fought anybody of significance. Really fought not engaged in jackassery with his students and friends.
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 10:00am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon
    That stupid talentless actor who couldn't fight his way out of a piss soaked paper bag simply refuses to die.
    Say what you want about the man, but to say he had no talent is just plain wrong. At the very least you have to admire his athleticism. His acting, while not great, wasn't too bad either.
    Sure, he's completely overrated as a fighter by many people. But that is the fault of the media, not him or his family.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 10:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    no no...the guy he was training, his fight on the dock.....
    Oh, that. The rumor is Bruce won but I'm think it wasn't supposed to be a full contact fight.

In 1958, after a challenge to the Wing Chun students from Choy Li Fut, a rival martial arts school, a fight was arranged on a rooftop. There were many such rivalries in Hong Kong -- the winner was whoever could force their opponent over a line. In response to an unfair punch, Bruce lashed out and beat the other boy badly, knocking out his tooth. This boy's parents made a complaint to the police, and Bruce's mother had to go down to the police station and sign a form saying she would take full responsibility for Bruce's actions if they released him to her custody. Not mentioning the incident to her husband, she suggested that Bruce should exercise his American citizenship rights and return to his birthplace. Despairing of Bruce's college prospects, his father agreed.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please stick to information on what can or cannot be verified on whether Bruce Lee was a member of his high school boxing team: St. Francis Xavier's College. (What is known as 'high school' in the US is called 'college' in Hong Kong.)

Unless someone has irrefutable proof of outcome for any rooftop fight or the like, rumors and hearsay of such tangents should be left out of this thread.

This is not the 'Bruce Lee nutridders vs. bashers' thread. Odacon, OZZ, Elemental Fist, and anyone else, consider yourselves warned.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 3/20/2008 2:25pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 2:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the Bruce Lee Foundation seemed to have acknowledged the boxing championship story:http://www.bruceleefoundation.com/BruceLeeBio.pdf (Page2)

According to them, the boxing championship followed the Queensbury rules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 4:20pm

Style: BJJ (faixa branca)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Supposed eye witness testimony:

For instant most websites with information on Bruce Lee state that a teenaged Lee entered a amateur boxing tournament in Hong Kong in 1958 and state that he knocked out his first three opponents in the first round and then knocked out his third and final opponent, Gary Elms, in the third round to win the Inter School Hong Kong Boxing Tournament, a local amateur competition. According to the eye witness testimony of Rolf Clausnitzer, Elms lasted the distance in a bout which was dominated by Lee. In his account of the tournament Clausnitzer commented I honestly believe that Gary did not land even one single scoring punch throughout the entire three one minute rounds. Gary was knocked down several times, but he was not knocked out contrary to what has been reported in various articles and books!
    http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=12995

The web-site (Boxing site, not TMA) does not seem doubt that Clausnitzer is an actual eye-witness to the event while indeed doubting other stories told about Lee. ----------> Looking for original interview.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast