Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 9:29am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bruce Lee has a Boxing Record?

I did the search option and didn't find anything so I decided to post a thread about it.

Last year, I've discovered a story that Bruce Lee once entered a boxing tournament during his early Hong Kong years. First from this source:

10 Kick Ass Facts About Bruce Lee: http://www.neatorama.com/2007/10/23/...out-bruce-lee/

Although I wouldn't agree with Fact 1 and I'm not sure about Fact 7 but Fact 5 mentioned about him winning a Hong Kong boxing championship in 1958. I've found this page that has an article that was published in Inside Kung-Fu 91/11 Issue by someone named Hawkins Cheung, who claims to have known Bruce in the 1950's through high school and during their Wing Chun training with the late master Yip Man. In the article, he talks how he and Bruce represented their high school boxing team in a boxing tournament.

Here's the site: http://www.chusaulei.com/martial/art...brucelee1.html

After much searching, I've found a site that claims to have Bruce Lee's boxing record (however, it also includes his controversial fight with Wong Jak Man listed as Outcome Pending):http://groups.msn.com/CHINESEBOXINGR...ghtrecord.msnw

My Bruce Lee fanboy side kinda marked out but my information research bookworm (without the glassesLOL) side is not sure whether to decide this as fact or just has Bullshido written all over it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 5:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, what do you guys think?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 5:46pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know, but it seems like it would be very difficult to verify this information considering the dates of the supposed fights and the age of anyone now who would have been a witness then.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 5:52pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bruce Lee, apparently, can never truly die.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 6:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it certainly wouldn't surprise me if someone as obviously athletic as bruce lee would be able to win some low-level amateur bouts (or a cha-cha championship), even without much in the way of formal training. it wouldn't impress me, either.

as Valiss said, though, it's probably historically unprovable at this point. the firsthand testimony of the guy in the first link sounds reasonably credible. the fight record site looks like BS.

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 6:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That stupid talentless actor who couldn't fight his way out of a piss soaked paper bag simply refuses to die.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FWIW:

Hawkins Cheung did know Bruce Lee. They went to school together as young teenagers. My old classmate, Jeffrey Chan (currently residing in Vancouver, Canada), has pictures of himself, Bruce Lee, and Hawkins Cheung together from that era. I have no further information beyond their Jr High/High School years.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 6:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon
    That stupid talentless actor who couldn't fight his way out of a piss soaked paper bag simply refuses to die.
    Talentless? He was in the movie business in Hong Kong since childhood (his father was a well known actor over there) and watch his guest starring appearances in TV shows like Longstreet and tell me he's talentless. And I believe a bunching bag is stronger than a paper bag and his kicks were quite strong while kicking the bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG6-6lhcUH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[yt]_GDWkVRK8kQ
    Last edited by Elemental Fist; 3/20/2008 6:27am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 6:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    FWIW:

Hawkins Cheung did know Bruce Lee. They went to school together as young teenagers. My old classmate, Jeffrey Chan (currently residing in Vancouver, Canada), has pictures of himself, Bruce Lee, and Hawkins Cheung together from that era. I have no further information beyond their Jr High/High School years.
    Thanks for confirming that part of the story.

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 9:14am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about the fight.......how does he do?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast