Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 9:32am

Style: JKD/Kali/Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did notice for the second hit the fall guy , didn't get any warning . So I should do a demo and just nail somebody with a hook to the body out of nowhere and claim I invented some new super duper mechanics

Tom Mac

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 11:04am

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a friend who does Systema and has hit me with that floppy punch. It was pretty effective, but I wonder, how easy/practical is it to use this punch in an actualy fight/sparring session? You know, with the guy moving around and hitting back.

Does anyone have any vids of people sparring with them?

Just curious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 11:12am

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got to admit that some things about systema look interesting, but since all of the info that I have comes from webpages, videos, etc...I can't actually say that it works or not!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 11:21am

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMack
    I did notice for the second hit the fall guy , didn't get any warning . So I should do a demo and just nail somebody with a hook to the body out of nowhere and claim I invented some new super duper mechanics

Tom Mac
    pretty much this.
    The move in the video is nothing more special than ye olde sucker punch

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 11:27am

Style: Bullshido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illegalusername
    pretty much this. The move in the video is nothing more special than ye olde sucker punch
    ye olde sucker punch is far superior http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=11de4ea590

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 12:35pm

Style: Aikibujutsu, Shinkendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like the speed and surprise is more notable than the power, hence why it was effective: dude didn't see it coming and couldn't tense up.
    Last edited by Echo Unit; 3/19/2008 2:16pm at . Reason: Inserted 'more' to appease teh english language

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 1:59pm

Style: muaythai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickeroon1987
    I have a friend who does Systema and has hit me with that floppy punch. It was pretty effective, but I wonder, how easy/practical is it to use this punch in an actualy fight/sparring session? You know, with the guy moving around and hitting back.

Does anyone have any vids of people sparring with them?

Just curious.
    I've been hit by them and can vouch for their effectiveness also. I was taught some basics of their application in systema classes however, I can't find a good way to employ this in a sparring situation without telegraphing the punch. At that point, it becomes useless.

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 2:34pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still waiting to see thier gun defence where you stick your finger inside the barrel of the shotgun so the gun backfires putting blackface all over elmer fudd-

I mean mikhail ryabko, no offence meant to mr fudd.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    DdR, are you going to tell me that the non-touch jedi mind trick crap in the second video is real? That's exactly what I mean by Stockholm Syndrome. You will never see a "demo" like that done with someone off the street or even a new practioner. It's always done with someone who has an investment of some sort in the system.
    Deep, deep sigh ...

Ah, it's OK. When I first came across Systema I wrote it off too, because of what looked like Jedi mind-trick Yellow Bamboo BS. Then I started looking into it seriously and realized that I'd been wrong. Sine then, one of my hobbies on BSD has been explaining "what's going on in Systema clips". Here we go:

The clip shows Mikhail Ryabko in a series of contexts, sometimes demonstrating body mechanics, more often running a student through a drill, which is not intended as a demo, as in "look at the awesome power of Ryabko and his magic Systema" - it's a training drill for the student's benefit.

Some of the drills involve the student training to avoid contact with Ryabko's hand, which for training purposes represents a generic "attack" (a punch, knife, whatever). So, Ryabko sweeps his hand down at the student's thigh; the student responds by kicking his leg backwards to avoid contact , turning over into a roll. Or, Ryabko thrusts his palm slowly towards the student's chest; the student folds backwards at the same speed to avoid contact.

Shown out of context, these movement/sensitivity exercises create the illusion of telekinetic strikes and takedowns, but that is overtly not what is being practiced. If you watch the instructional DVDs or just show up at a seminar, you'll see these same drills explained in common-sense, non-magical terms.

Some of the other shots in this clip show the power of suggestion (feints, psych-outs etc.) which is a Systema specialty. Mikhail Ryabko has a mischievous sense of humor and he hits like a Mack truck, and part of the training is to learn to deal with that; in a typical Systema class you will get hit hard and often, especially with bare fists. As a survival mechanism, students develop a highly refined sense of "get the hell out of the way".

The last sequence in the clip shows Ryabko working with a student who doesn't want to get hit any more. The last moment, where the student is down on all fours, is pure psych-out; Ryabko, who obviously knows what's about to happen, raises his palm and yells, so the student reflexively flattens out like a lizard to avoid whatever's coming his way. Simultaneously, Rybako gestures sharply downward with his palm, creating the illusion that he's pushed the student without touching him.

Believe it or not, once you've seen these drills explained and practiced in context, they make perfect non-mystical sense. Incidentally, the instructors that I've spoke with will readily acknowledge that they wouldn't rely on this sort of extreme psych-out in a real attack situation; it's just an interesting phenomenon that can be exploited in various ways.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 3:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada
    I'd like to see some of the 'physics' that back this method of striking over say standard boxing mechanics.
    Vieux Normand just explained it for you ... (?)
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast