Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/style

With MA's, style generally refers to techniques taught, specifics about those techniques that are particular to that system (especially stance), and the delivery method. While jump-rope may help prepare a boxer by conditioning his timing and endurance, jump-rope on its own isn't a style.
    From a strictly technical approach, jump rope would qualify as Qi Gong.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/style

With MA's, style generally refers to techniques taught, specifics about those techniques that are particular to that system (especially stance), and the delivery method. While jump-rope may help prepare a boxer by conditioning his timing and endurance, jump-rope on its own isn't a style.
    Yes, and this is one of the major reasons why it's so difficult to explain Systema to people whose concept of "style" is based upon technique(s).

That said, the basic analogy is sound; Systema is similar to CrossFit, for example, in that it is an open-ended set of "training challenges" or exercises, albeit in Systema's case all the (conditioning, agility, body dynamics, etc.) exercises are geared towards hand to hand combat training.

There is another meaning of style being the unique characteristics of a given fighter, ie. Ali, Tyson, Robinson. The combination of boxing techniques that these guys rely upon and employ effectively that become characteristic of them as fighters is a style.
    I would suggest not just the combination of techniques but also the way they're characteristically executed by the individual, which brings us closer to the concept of style I'm talking about vis-a-vis Systema.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just found this video in my utube recommendations. I have to say, the physical conditioning of these systema guys appears to be pretty good. I really like the rolling drills they're doing, and I think its impressive when you can tumble without hurting yourself on a hard surface. I think some of the exercises they are doing could help with fighting. Again I'll say I'm starting to see systema more as a something like crossfit or yoga, which can help a fighter but isn't a fighting art in itself.
    YouTube- Systema Basics - Solo Training
    As I understand it, systema is an art of movement and breathing. Fighting involves both, but so do lots of other things.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    As I understand it, systema is an art of movement and breathing. Fighting involves both, but so do lots of other things.
    Try thinking of it as an art of fighting movement and breathing.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choi Kwan Do, or Tae Bo? (Hell, throw Taijiquan into that list.)
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Dipshit

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Choi Kwan Do, or Tae Bo?
    I don't know anything about Choi Kwan Do, and precious little about Tae Bo. If you mean to ask whether Systema is an exercise program based on martial arts movements, then no; it's more like a martial arts movement program with exercise benefits.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotcha, but then I'm not sure how to perceive that other than as a martial art. Maybe I'm just not getting it... will have to mulch it over for a bit.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Dipshit

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I don't know anything about Choi Kwan Do, and precious little about Tae Bo. If you mean to ask whether Systema is an exercise program based on martial arts movements, then no; it's more like a martial arts movement program with exercise benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Try thinking of it as an art of fighting movement and breathing.
    What the **** is "an art of fighting movement"/"martial arts movement program" ?
    Seriously, that sounds like pretentious mysticism.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    What the **** is "an art of fighting movement"/"martial arts movement program" ?
    Seriously, that sounds like pretentious mysticism.
    Nothing the least bit mystical about it, but hold on; I'm explaining this in greater detail in my reply to Sri Hanuman.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Gotcha, but then I'm not sure how to perceive that other than as a martial art. Maybe I'm just not getting it... will have to mulch it over for a bit.
    The jargon (martial art, style, training program, etc.) doesn't matter as much as does understanding how it works. I reckon the CrossFit analogy is useful here. AFAIK CrossFit is all about developing "functional fitness", via an open-ended set of agility, stamina, strength etc. exercises. Systema is all about developing "functional self defense" via an open-ended set of combat movement, conditioning, improvisation etc. exercises.

At the risk of complicating this, most MAs begin with techniques. You learn a technique, you drill it in various ways, you string it into combinations, you test it in sparring/competition. Systema begins with "challenges", drills or exercises in combat movement and tactics.

For example, one basic Systema drill involves three or four other students throwing slow "zombie punches" at you. There's no choreography involved; they can punch wherever, whenever and however they like, and the challenge is simply to avoid the punches.

Raw noobs typically start out exerting a lot of unnecessary tension, losing their balance at exactly the wrong moments, trying way too hard and generally spazzing out. As a "combat movement" drill, this exercise helps them start to develop a whole raft of useful basic skills - relaxation/appropriate exertion, eye/body co-ordination, economy of movement, stability and agility (balance transitions), etc.

We can call that basic drill "level 1", equivalent to, say, a basic arms and legs rope climb drill in CrossFit training. A "level 2" version of the same drill will be more of a challenge; for example, the "attackers" can come in harder and faster, can grab or kick as well as punch, etc. That might be equivalent to, say, climbing a rope using only your arm strength; same basic exercise, but more of a challenge. In Systema, as in CrossFit, the exercises get more challenging as the student becomes more proficient in the basics; the movement skills developed through those exercises then transfer into more advanced and realistic self defense training.
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111718192021 22 LastLast