Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 1:06am

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I present to you....

The Smith and Wesson 500

If you've never shot one, it's absurd. The specs on the pistol can be found in various locations. I'll post my observations here.

The pistol is quite heavy. It weighs in at about 4.5 lbs, holds five rounds, comes with interchangeable front sights, and pokes big holes in things from afar. For a size comparision on the round against some others that I was shooting that day, I've included a picture below.

From righ to left, we have a .22, the .17 HMR, the 44, a 500, .308 Win, and a 30.06. The bottomw photo is the 500 next to the .308 Win.

It's considerably larger than the 44. When you pick it up and load it, it has great heft and feels very solid. Overall it is very well made. No frills.

The reviews of the Cor Bon round I was shooting put it at 275 grains at 1665 fps. I've heard some variances in load types have produced faster rounds with more punch. These punch plenty. With the compensator, I did not notice a ridiculous amount of muzzle flip on the weapon. I've heard some complain that it has too much flip. I also seen some shoot it with poor stances and placement of their hands. They wind up with the recoil sending the pistols up and over their head.

That said, it does bump. It feels like you're blocking a decent kick with an open palm. I found the action to be almost straight to the rear. It's jarring.

I fired the pistol from 50 yds on a bench with no support for the pistol. After cocking the hammer back, the pistol is ready to go. The trigger releases smoothly, with no slack. I'm not sure what the trigger was set to, but it was out of the box. The first round when center and high. I forgot the change out the front sight. I corrected the issue with the front sight and placed the remaining rounds close, but not exactly center mass.

Overall, I thought it was a fun, if not absurd pistol to shoot. I'm told it's for hunting big game and it accurate out to 200 yds. I'm also told that the scope that was on the one I fired broke after 10 rds and was guaranteed to handle the recoil from the 500. It was easy to handle, break down the site, and fire. I'm not sure it's good for me for anything other than a curiousity, but it's a fun pistol to have and shoot.

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 10:36am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    17 HMR is pretty fun to shoot. Especially at varmints. Because they explode.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 12:16pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I assume the snubnose version has more kick, right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 12:41pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How's the trigger pull? If it's as crisp and clean as the 686 revolver, then that would be a perfect match.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 1:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the trigger pull was pretty crisp. Prior to firing the 500 I was shooting my M14 (M1A) and there was a large amount of take up in the trigger after the rifle cycled the first round. I was kind of surprised to fire the 500. There was no slack in the trigger and it released cleanly. I think it kind of helps since no matter what I did I was unable to not anticipate the shot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    17 HMR is pretty fun to shoot. Especially at varmints. Because they explode.
    What flavor do you have? I've got the Marlin 917VSF. It's incredibly accurate. I'll post pics and a review later.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 1:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad credit
    I assume the snubnose version has more kick, right?
    Without the compensator, I imagine it would have hella kick. I've never seen a snubnose 500 and I can't imagine what you'd do with it. It might be a tad excessive for concealed carry.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai
    Overall, I thought it was a fun, if not absurd pistol to shoot. I'm told it's for hunting big game and it accurate out to 200 yds.
    Any idea what the bullet drop is at that range?
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 10:45pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're going to own a pistol like that, you need to grow a bushy mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 1:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Any idea what the bullet drop is at that range?
    I can't answer that question. I'm sorry. I'm still learning the ballistics data.

http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/de...=Powder&Source
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast