Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2008 11:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sambo, MT, Buj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lancaster Family Martial Arts

I've searched all the boards for both the name of this school and the instructor of their bjj program and I've turned up nothing. Through google I got back that as of July 2007 he was a blue belt under Rosendo Diaz. link: http://www.rdbjj.org/section.asp?ArticleID=29

The program they teach, Masterclass Grappling, is said to be bjj-based. Google revealed this was a video instruction collection by John Will and Dave Meyer (both Machado blackbelts) through which you could get a blue belt. It seems to be primarily designed to help traditional schools expand their programs and gain/retain students. http://www.grappling.us/

I live in York, and I'm trying to decide between The Garage in Harrisburg or this place. I already train sambo in Ephrata, which is about 20 minutes from this lancaster school, so it would be really convenient if i could train both sambo and bjj on the same days(and save myself some gas)

anyway, here are the links:

homepage: http://www.lfmac.com/index.html
    bjj program: http://www.lfmac.com/bjj.html
    instructor: http://www.lfmac.com/instructors.html

if anyone has been there or heard about the school/instructor that would be some handy information. if not i'll just have to go check it out myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 12:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that both schools are Royler Gracie/ David Adiv affiliates, and both have bule belt instruction. My guess would be that they are probably similar in terms of what they can offer. I think, but am not sure, that the LFMA affiliation w/ RGDA is relatively new affiliation. I think they used to do just the Masterclass thing, but within the last 6 months or so became affiliated with RGDA. Best bet is to try both and see for yourself. Also, you could contact Rosendo Diaz and or David Adiv for some background. Good Luck

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 5:34pm

Style: no gi grappling/sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Son Shi,
    I train at EMA too. Mike Weisensee has a pretty good reputation from what I understand. Its not really just a blue belt by video, there are seminars and testing done by John Will, too. As part of his RGDA affiliation, he has to continue to train under other, higher ranked instructors, and attend workshops, etc.
    If you want to cross train there, make sure you check on the politics too. For instance, if you want to compete, whos team would you be able to compete under? Your total points for the year in competition go toward the schools overall ranking at the end of the year. So if you go to NAGA or GQ, do you compete under EMA or RGDA? This is another question you would have to ask if you go check it out. Some schools that are trying to make a name for themselves want you to compete under their team name.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 5:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In March there is another place opening in York. It is primarily an MMA place from what I gather. The guy opening the place is Brad Souders. He is the cousin of Eric Grove (a 4th degree in combat sambo, purple in BJJ) and a blue belt. He has trained alot with "Tatu" Taborda up in the Scranton area, and has gotten a few stripes on his blue from him. I don't know if they are expected to have a seperate BJJ class.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 6:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sambo, MT, Buj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds cool. i'm definitely gonna go check it out. i'll have to look into the politics thing, i really just want to cross train so i can get as much grappling training in as possible now. however, i would prefer to compete with ema, they're a great group of people. it's been a couple months since i've trained there, tuition pretty much completely drains my account every semester, but i'm going back hopefully within the next couple weeks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 10:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. We have been getting quite a few new people, so you'll have some noobs to beat up when you come back.

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 1:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train at Ephrata also....

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 10:04am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are in York, check out the Harrisburg Judo Kai at the east shore YMCA. The head of the club, Mike Stone is a Godan with tons of competition experience. They offer some no gi grappling as well. The Garage is pretty good too. Good bunch of guys that train in BJJ. Steve Blackman's is also in Harrisburg. I have heard mixed reviews but have not been there myself.