Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 12:28am

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by romba_one View Post
    As far as the M1 Grande...I hear that the M1d are the so called "sniper" versions and are said to be more accurate. I do not know if this is true because I've heard this from both reliable people, but also people tring to sell me an M1d for a $2000. The CMP may have them for less if they have them at all. Buyer beware!
    The only difference between the standard and sniper versions of the Garand are the scope mount and (in the D version) a flash hider, as far as I know. The M1 in extremely accurate in its own right. If its an original scope, the whole package might be worth $2,000 if you are purely interested in its collector's value. Otherwise its probably not worth it.
    I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
    Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 12:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, watch out for fake M1D's, a lot of people have been taken by that con. Also, be sure to test any black tip 30-06 with a magnet, no steel, not AP.

atek3

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 9:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BALEETED

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just bought my first blackpowder cartridge gun, a remington highwall in 45/70 govt. I guy I work with got me in to blackpowder cartridge silouette shooting and I am falling in love with it.

If you aren't familar with BPCS, it's using single shot black powder cartridge ammo out of period buffalo hunting guns (1860 - 1910-ish). The targets are life-size steel cut-outs of a chicken, javalina pig, turkey, and ram and the distances at which the targets are fired are 200 m, 300 m, 385 m, and 500 m respectively. In order count for score, the target must be knocked off their feet. The 200-meter chickens are fired from the standing offhand position thus making them the most difficult to hit. Targets at the other three distances are fired with the rifle barrel resting on crossed sticks from either a sitting or prone position. Most shooters fire from a prone position which is steadier than sitting. It's a ton of shooting to test different loads to be able to get any kind of consistant accuracy out of this gun, so if you aren't in to reloading... it's not for you.

Video:
    YouTube - Kentucky Black Powder Cartridge Rifle

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    3/24/2009 6:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai View Post
    Has anyone here done any competitive shooting?

I recently acquired a M1A (civilian version of the M14) and I'm in the process of purchasing a M1 Garand from the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program). Both rifles will soon be sent out for tweaking (rebarreling and national match upgrades, bastogne stock for the Garand). We have a 200 yd rifle on our property and I plan to back it out to 300 in the next few weeks. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with competitive shooting...or is interested in starting.
    Sorry I didn't read about this before I saw you in Austin the other day. I also have an M1A (took it out hog hunting with David Koresh Jr. last week) and a Garand. Before moving up here to the hinterlands, I belonged to the Austin Rifle Club. Before Gwyneth was born, I used to shoot high power and service rifle matches at ARC and Temple almost every weekend. Since I have been struck by parenthood, I've only attended a couple of matches here and there. ARC has a HP/SR match the first Sunday of every month, and Temple has matches the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Sundays.

If you want more details, send me a PM. I'd be glad to introduce to some of the boys.

P.S. You may want to hold off on sending your rifles out for any custom work. Paul Laberge of ARC does excently work for a token payment. I gave him a prime cut of beef to rebarrel and bed my M1A.
    Last edited by TEA; 3/24/2009 6:34pm at .
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123