Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 10:45am

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Competitive Shooting

Has anyone here done any competitive shooting?

I recently acquired a M1A (civilian version of the M14) and I'm in the process of purchasing a M1 Garand from the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program). Both rifles will soon be sent out for tweaking (rebarreling and national match upgrades, bastogne stock for the Garand). We have a 200 yd rifle on our property and I plan to back it out to 300 in the next few weeks. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with competitive shooting...or is interested in starting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 1:10pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if only i was in Texas. M1 is a nice rifle for hunting or distance shooting were a follow up shot will more then likely be required. i still prefer a nice bolt action for long range single target engagement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 1:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm also in the process of purchasing the parts to assemble a M40A3. They are priced considerably out of my funds range, but it's not so hard to swallow paying for a stock, a receiver, a barrel, etc until I have all the parts needed to get one together.

Remington put out the R5 MilSpec that has the same barrel config as the M40A2. It's priced for around $900, which isn't that bad for an entry level rifle.

You can pick up the Garand from the CMP for about $500 (+/- $100) depending on the grade of rifle you are looking for. I picked up the service grade for $595 and had it sent out for upgrades. It's not a bad way to get started, I think.

If you're ever in Texas and want to shoot, let me know. I'm always looking for someone to shoot and learn from.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 8:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: just started grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as the M1 Grande...I hear that the M1d are the so called "sniper" versions and are said to be more accurate. I do not know if this is true because I've heard this from both reliable people, but also people tring to sell me an M1d for a $2000. The CMP may have them for less if they have them at all. Buyer beware!

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 10:49pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    300 yards IN YOUR BACKYARD?! That's deeply enviable. I can't shoot outdoors in my neighborhood as I'd likely hit several neighbors.

Reminds me of a joke! An Oklamhoman and a Texan are having a conversation over a beer. The Texan says "I can drive all day and not leave my property." The Okie replies "Yep. I had me a car like that once!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 12:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Way, way back in the day, my family settled in Texas. I mean way far back. We've got lots of land outside of Lufkin and Jacksonville/Tyler. I live in Austin, so I take weekend trips out to visit the family and play.

We've thought about making it to where we can fire across the pasture, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. There are cattle and whatnot.

Romba,
    I don't think the sniper version of the Garand is used in the JCG competitions. My understanding is that the rifles have to fall within certain specs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 12:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    double post. my bad.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 11:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My friend had a M1d, or so he claimed it was a 'd' model. It looked just like my old rifle coaches (RIP) M1 Grande. I did not see them side by side ever; I could not compare them. I just though I'd mention it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 1:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, do you shoot, Romba?

I just downloaded the 2008 rule book from CMP. I'm flipping through it now. Interesting information.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2008 6:21pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I try to shoot when I get the chance, but events have made shooting very difficult or expensive here is Wisconsin. Ranges closed, bullshit lead hazards, insurance altering our coverage, ect.

I used to shoot air rifle and smallbore matches with my brother, my Father was my main coach. I did so for 10 years and then it seemed like every factor in the world conspired to keep me from shooting. I did shoot some 'hodge podge' type silouette (<-however it is spelled) matches with high power, but I was a kid with a high powered rifle; I was some what too small at the time.

I just broke in the barrel of an M1A this last October, I was in the hopes of shooting some high power matches some day; at least practicing for them this summer.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast