Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 11:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ueshiba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiplandar
    Hey guys, anyone here wanna help me bust this Doctor Joseph F. Bannon Ph.D., D.Ch. FACC guy?

Heres the story. My University was competing in a
    Collegiates Wushu competition, and we did pretty well, we had a few beginners, they had fun, all was dandy. after the competition there was a wushu demonstration put on by legitamate Wushu teachers and masters, including the old gay guy from Kung Fu Hustle (The tailor). they judged the event and there was one white guy sitting at the table. Enter Joseph F. Bannon, master of Shaolin Dii mak and the founder of Surgicalstrike, a martial art using Dii mak for police and other self defense uses.

Ding ding ding... Bullshido alert.

Dr. Joseph Bannon Ph.D, he was referred as. Former Government Special Agent, U.S. Presidential Bodyguard.

DING DING DING....

he Surgical Strike System™ of Dim Mak - Kung Fu; has developed a medically and scientifically based “Quick Kill” and “Rapid Defense” counter assault system designed to immediately stop an attack against one’s self; or during the protection or rescue of another. The foundational concepts and ideologies of this pressure point based fighting system date back to the Shaolin Temple in China - 495 A.D.

DING DING DING DING DING....!!!!!

This is a guy who judged our performances. everyone else had great credentials but i was so suprised that stanford brought in someone that just stank of bullshido.

Sadly, i didnt get a chance to talk to the guy. Sitting in a room with 200 other bored, socially dry, wushu kids for 12 hrs really didnt make me want to stay for much longer. i took down his name and the name of his martial art.

if anyone wants to help me bust this guy, msg me or respond to the thread. his website is....

http://www.surgical-strike.citymax.com/about.html

i love how he has citymax.com in his URL. so professional.
    "Nothing in nature is purely black or purely white." The purpose of this forum escapes me but the message clearly did not. Bannon is a great honorable name shared by many shades. Dr. Joe Bannon is a god among you men, do not say his name in vain.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 11:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmymac
    "Nothing in nature is purely black or purely white." The purpose of this forum escapes me but the message clearly did not. Bannon is a great honorable name shared by many shades. Dr. Joe Bannon is a god among you men, do not say his name in vain.
    If you are speaking from a voice of experience and have trained with Dr. Joseph Bannon, please relate any information you might have on his training, his methods, his philosophy and the effectiveness and validity of his claims.

For all of us, we are reading and looking at this as outsiders.

You can enlighten us all.

Thank you.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 11:52am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why is it that when people have nothing substantive to say,

they use so many flowery words to say it?

I would have thought that someone with such a well developed opinion of the good Dr. would have at least presented some anecdotal evidence in the absence of facts.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 12:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is it that the internet is the newest form of human to human communication, and yet every other guy on it talks like he is from 12 B.C.

A god among men? I don't know if thats a really bad troll job or a really literate retard.

Anyway, OP, I think you need to do the research and come back with something substantial. This forum will help you bust him by offering you a platform for credible claims of bullshido. Sadly, you have to do the leg work yourself. Sorry dude. You should start by visiting his school if you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Isolated and Confused

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 12:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having looked at Joseph Bannon's main website: (http://www.dimmakkungfu.com/about.html) I have to say he seems to achieved a lot. His bio contains a couple of oddities but it could be simply a case of gilding the lily.

One thing I noticed on his testimonials page was that the Mayor of San Fransisco had made November 14th 2006 Joe Bannon day. I have no idea how common that sort of thing is in the States but it did stick out, even from all the other hagiography that is going on.
    Failing to become awesome since 1976

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 1:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NOT TODAY! NOT ON JOE BANNON DAY!

No but seriously, being a pretencious twat isn't being a bad martial artist. Otherwise most of the MMA guys I meet would have their names plastered all over the forums.

Kidding :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 2:45am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read Bannon's bio from his webpage and I'm going to C&P part of it here because the section describing academic credentials raised a few questions. Here is what the webpage states:

"The Bannon Institute was founded in 2004 by Joseph F. Bannon Ph.D., D.Ch. who holds an academic doctorate degree in Holistic Health Science majoring in Human Anatomy, Physiology, Cellular Biochemistry and Nutrition l-V with an emphasis on Holistic and Oriental Medical Philosophy and Medical Research Science. After attending the University of the State of New York - he completed his Emergency Medical Internship at Doctor's Hospital and the Nassau County Medical Center.

He earned his post doctorate degree in Theocentric Clinical Psychology majoring in Clinical Counseling, Behavioral Science and Theology with an emphasis on Brain Anatomy, Physio-Psychology and the Limbic System. He completed his Behavioral Science, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Intervention Counseling Internship at the California Behavioral Science Institute; Cornell University; California State University; and the San Francisco Police Department - Behavioral Science Unit. He received his teaching certification credential from Golden West College in Southern California. "

First, no one ever actually attends the University of the State of New York (dont confuse this with SUNY, they are different entities). USNY is not an actual school, it's the regulatory body that oversees New York's libraries, museums, and institutes of higher education. They are an accrediting body for universities, not an actual university, themselves. They do offer correspondence courses, honorary degrees, and college equivalency exams, but they do NOT hold classes, and it's impossible for anyone to have "attended" USNY.

He says he completed his Emergency Medical Internship at Doctors Hospital, but there is no medical degree (MD) listed in his bio. A medical degree is not the same thing as what he refers to as his "academic doctorate" in Holistic Health Science. Why would a person with no clinical degree need (or be allowed) to do a clinical internship?

One degree he lists as D.Ch., but I have no idea what that is. It's not a medical degree, or anything associated with medicine. Chiropractors list their degree as DC (Doctor of Chiropractic) or DCM (Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine). a Doctor of Psychology is PsyD. and a Doctor of Oriental Medicine is ODM.

Nowhere in those paragraphs does he actually state which academic institutions awarded him his doctorates, or the dates they were awarded. In the academic world this is an immediate red flag. Not surprisingly, I cant find a school offering doctoral programs in Holistic Health Sciences or Theocentric Clinical Psychology. That doesnt automatically mean that somewhere out there, there cant be a program, only that it's obscure and difficult to find. The Theocentric Psychology degree appears to be extremely rare, a google search turns up Bannon and one other person as holders of this degree.

He mentions a second internship that he finished at 4 different places, 3 of which are in California and one (Cornell University) in New York. Strange on the surface simply that he "finished" at locations geographically separate. But I am also unable to find any information on the "California Behavioral Science Institute". The Western Behavioral Science Institute is located in La Jolla Ca., and the Institute for Mathematical Behavioral Sciences is located at UC_Irvine, but I cannot find a "California Behavioral Science Institute".

There is no mention of the title or topic of his doctoral dissertations, instead there is a list of topics he "majored" in. To some this may seem like picking nits, but in academia your dissertation is one of the first things you list in your curriculum vitae. A copy of the dissertation should be available in the library of the school that awarded your degree, and most libraries will have a .pdf file available online. People should be able to read your work, thats fundamental.

A search of PubMed shows no publications by JF Bannon.

At the bottom of the first page of his website, he adds FACC to his list of degrees. In medicine, this stands for Fellow of the American College of Cardiology. It's impossible to be elected to the ACC if you are not a practicing cardiologist, certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, or the the American Board of Thoracic Surgery. So a person without a medical degree would never be considered for membership.

There are other irregularities about his bio, but I think this is enough for now. And it's 2 AM, and I need to snooze.

Posted On:
    9/16/2009 12:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think all of U guys should be listed on the BS meter. Joe Bannon is 1 of the most respected Martial Artists in the world.

There's nothing wrong for a person to write Dr. in front of his name and Ph.D after his name.....ESPECIALLY if he's got 2 Ph.d's, 1 in Nutrition and the other in Behavioral Sciences NOT to mention that he's a Naturopathic Doctor as well, so that makes him a Triple Doctor by my latest calculations.

Try to find out more about people 1st b4 slamming them or what they do. I know 1 thing 4 sure and that is that Joe can kick ass if and when he wants to. Check out his website and go and learn something 4 a change:

http://www.dimmakkungfu.com/about.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2009 2:49pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Yip, what does this entail?;
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiplandar View Post
    ... My University was competing in a Collegiates Wushu competition, and we did pretty well, ...
    Maybe this Bannon is ideally suited to judge such a happening?

Posted On:
    9/16/2009 3:41pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by willyward View Post
    I think all of U guys should be listed on the BS meter. Joe Bannon is 1 of the most respected Martial Artists in the world.
    Yes, yes - concern troll is concerned.

There's nothing wrong for a person to write Dr. in front of his name and Ph.D after his name.....ESPECIALLY if he's got 2 Ph.d's, 1 in Nutrition and the other in Behavioral Sciences NOT to mention that he's a Naturopathic Doctor as well, so that makes him a Triple Doctor by my latest calculations.
    And from your outstanding level of literacy, I'm amazed you can actually count to three. It is notable, but not surprising, that you didn't try to answer any of the questionable items noted earlier.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast