Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2008 8:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How Much Stretching Is Too Much?

I want to improve my flexibility for BJJ, and I'm wondering how often I should wait between stretching routines. My routine takes 10-20 minutes and I feel it's pretty thorough and effective, and has improved my flexibility.

What I want to know is how long I should wait from the completion of the routine before I can safely do it again without fear of pulling or otherwise damaging a muscle. I hear a lot about how long to wait between lifting with the same muscle group, but never how long to wait before stretching again.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2008 8:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Se-Jong TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou
    What I want to know is how long I should wait from the completion of the routine before I can safely do it again without fear of pulling or otherwise damaging a muscle. I hear a lot about how long to wait between lifting with the same muscle group, but never how long to wait before stretching again.
    If you're doing static stretches I don't think you can hurt yourself by doing them too often. I'm sure that there is a limit to how much improvement you will gain from your stretching and you'll be better off spending your time doing something else.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    3/16/2008 10:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be careful with the PNF stretchs, don't do them everyday.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2008 11:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure what PNF are. I just do basic stretches like butterfly, extend a leg and lean over it for hammies, try to do a split, etc. Just stuff for my legs mostly. I would call them all static since I'm not moving during the stretches.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    3/16/2008 11:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, those should be fine. I'm talking about the non-static stretches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2008 11:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. So no one knows for sure how long I should wait in order to NOT be wasting my time re-stretching before it actually benefits me?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 3:04am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first recommendation would be reading the stickies.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21555

This thread will tell you everything you've ever wanted to know about anything.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou
    Cool. So no one knows for sure how long I should wait in order to NOT be wasting my time re-stretching before it actually benefits me?
    Sorry bro, the sentence just does not make any sense.

You are making things complicated. The more you stretch, the faster your body will adapt. There is no formula that says 'stretch a maximum/minimum/average X number minutes every Y number of hours'.

You use 20-30 minutes stretching, you are not going to get injured if you add an additional 5 minutes. You body is not going to say 'ok mister, you have stretched me for X number of minutes, make an appointment for the next stretching session, I'm on a break now and additional stretching won't do anything.'

Also, there is nothing that precludes you from stretching here and there during the day. How hard is it to reach your toes, twist your hips, rotate the arms, or do a half-butterfly on your office chair for 10 reps? You don't have to make a full-blown stretch routine everytime you feel you want to stretch your hammies.

Now, if you don't want to waste those precious, irreplaceable 2 extra minutes that would take to do an ad-hoc stretch, hey, what can I say? It just boggles the mind that you are trying to micro-manage something so simple.

Don't try to compartmentalize and control every single aspect of training, let alone stretching. You are going to waste more time trying to manage something made more complicated than what it really is.

And read the stickies when you get a chance as Uri suggested.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 7:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not so much worried about micromanaging, as you say. I was worried that I would injure myself by stretching too frequently. If you lift the same muscle group without enough rest, you can overtrain and injure yourself. I was simply asking if that's also true for static stretching.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 7:49pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, it is not true. Injuries due to stretching are not due to frequency but by exceeding the maximum range of motion your muscles and ligaments are currently capable off, by going beyond the natural abilities of the human body, or by stretching a muscle immediately prior to using it (.ie. stretching the hamstrings just before doing squats.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast