Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Roy Jones Jr. disappointed that matchup with UFC star Anderson Silva is off

Roy Jones Jr. disappointed that matchup with UFC star is off

BY TIM SMITH
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, April 8th 2008, 4:00 AM

Roy Jones, Jr. said he was minding his own business, waiting for something to shake loose in the light heavyweight division, when someone called him and told him that he was being called out by Anderson Silva, one of the stars from the UFC.

Jones was told that Silva had challenged Jones to a boxing match. Jones said he made contact with Silva and his manager two weeks ago and they were moving forward with a deal for a fight at 180-188 pounds. Jones said Dana White, UFC President, stepped in and stopped the fight.

Jones said he was told that White stopped the match because he didn't want to embarrass the UFC if Jones were to KO Silva in the first round of a boxing match.

"I don't see how it could discredit the UFC," Jones said. "The guy has boxed before and he's a tall, slick, left handed fighter. That gives everybody problems. It would be a good fight. As fighters we're supposed to be trying to do things that amaze people and make history. This could have been something that people really wanted to see.

"I just think it's wrong not to allow him (Silva) to get the opportunity to live out his fantasy to be in the ring with one of his heroes. That's the kind of thing that boxing promoters usually do."

White did not return an email message seeking comment on why he would not allow Silva to box Jones.

"I think it's unfortunate," said John Wirt, a partner with Jones in his Square Ring Promotions company. "It could have been a good fight. It could have been a major draw for boxing and the MMA world."

While Jones thought a boxing match with Silva would be a good idea, it points to the fundamental differences in the two sports. From a business standpoint, the UFC participants are signed to exclusive promotional deals with the UFC. They don't even fight other mixed martial arts fighters outside of the UFC. Boxers are signed to different promoters, but they don't just have to fight boxers signed to their promoters. The sanctioning organizations mandate that championships have to be defended, no matter who promotes a boxer. The UFC sanctions its own championship matches as well as promotes them.

Silva (21-4 in MMA) has boxed before, going 1-1. But the 32-year-old Brazilian is noted as one of the best mixed martial arts fighters in the sport and is 6-0 in the UFC. Jones, 39, a former middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight champion, said there was no way that he is going to try competing in mixed martial arts.

"If I had a high school wrestling background, I'd be willing to try that stuff (mixed martial arts)," Jones said. "But I'm lost on the ground."

"He's got a lot of heart and I have nothing but respect for him for wanting to take on the best in boxing."

Jones said he is moving on. He said he will await the winners of the light heavyweight title matches between IBF champ Clinton Woods and Antonio Tarver and WBC champ Chad Dawson and Glen Johnson that are happening this weekend in Tampa, and the light heavyweight match between Bernard Hopkins and Joe Calzaghe on April 19.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...matchup_w.html

Would be a tough match-up for Anderson Silva, but no surprise Dana pooh-poohed it!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Decent remarks from RJJ, always thought he was a tool too.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 2:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep. I have to admit he actually sounded alright.

"If I had a high school wrestling background, I'd be willing to try that stuff (mixed martial arts)," Jones said. "But I'm lost on the ground."

"He's got a lot of heart and I have nothing but respect for him for wanting to take on the best in boxing."
    Finally a boxer that knows where he stands.

He still an ass for ducking Bernard until they are both in the twilight of their careers.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 2:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dana did the right thing by nixing it. The ass whipping Jones would've given Silva would be bad for MMA.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 2:59pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did anyone really think this was ever going to happen? This was predictable

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:00pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd have paid to see it though.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:04pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first heard rumors of this, my immediate thought was "Dana will never let it happen while Silva is on a UFC contract". I did not even bother to get excited or even follow up on reading about it because it was clearly never going to happen, media hype to generate UFC buzz, or both.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:05pm

Style: Mixed Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Dana did the right thing by nixing it. The ass whipping Jones would've given Silva would be bad for MMA.
    <Maybe bad for MMA (more specifically the UFC) - but I think it would have been good for Silva and RJJ; it sounds like both men were looking forward to a good competion to test themselves with. And I for one would love to see that fight, regardless of outcome.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think RJJ is a fan of the sport. I've seen him on TV at the UFC.
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango M.F.
    <Maybe bad for MMA (more specifically the UFC) - but I think it would have been good for Silva and RJJ; it sounds like both men were looking forward to a good competion to test themselves with. And I for one would love to see that fight, regardless of outcome.
    I would've liked to see it, too. But I want MMA to continue to succeed. Until a top tier boxer fights under MMA rules, I think it would be stupid to put a top notch MMA fighter in a situation where he's probably going to get embarrassed by a boxer in front of millions of people.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast