Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/15/2008 12:30pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Reputable Fight Gym in Cleveland Ohio area?

So last night I was at the ICFA MMA event in Columbus, Ohio to corner a guy I've been training. While in the back, I got to talking to this young guy out of Cleveland who was there to fight and had asked a couple of guys to corner for him since he had no help. This guy was about 5'6 , 155 lbs. very well built, strong, compact fighter; he is currently 4-0 as an amateur. He has no training camp. He has no money, lives with a relative, and trains in the basement on the heavybag. All of his training consists of what he has been able to pull off of fights he has seen on TV.

It's not that he doesn't want quality training, it's just that he doesn't know of any gyms in Cleveland except one, Griffon Rawl. He is hesitant to train there because he has already beaten guys out of that gym and doesn't necessarily feel comfortable training there for that reason.

The wins he has earned so far have been due to his talent as an athlete, his toughness and his agressiveness, it has not been due to his technique, he's a brawler. He has all the tools to do well but no one to teach him how to use them.

When I offered to help him find a gym he was immediately very defensive, he apparently had a bad experience with some org. up north that screwed him over (although he admitted that he made his fair share of mistakes in regards to the situation0 and thought that I was trying to manage him or something. After I assured him that I had no interest in managing him, that I was only trying to help him develope he gave me his contact info and asked me to send him any info I could find on a gym in the Cleveland area that he could check out.

So anyone got any ideas? This is a kid who loves the sport and has all the physical tools but doesn't have much money or any idea of where to turn for guidance and development. Anything you guys can come up with would be appreciated.

Thnx

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2008 12:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this is off topic, but were you at screaming willys last night?

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/15/2008 1:20pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustiga
    I know this is off topic, but were you at screaming willys last night?
    Hell yeah I was at Screaming Willies. My guy was the 4th fight of the night, the 1st fight after the 1st intermission. He won by Guillotine when his opponent didn't tap and got put to sleep after 34 sec. of the 1st round.

Were you there? There were some pretty good fights.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2008 2:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I didn't get to go, but where I take my muay thai classes at, Dinos was there both last week and the monday before the fight, so I got to talk to him a little bit about it, I heard he did really well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2008 4:01am

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was living in Cleveland I trained here: http://www.evolutionjj.com
    These guys are loosely affiliated with Griffin-Rawl...every now and then we'd go down there for a class or some of those guys would come up to the academy, but I think that guy would be fine training there. I think the website is pretty out of date, because Donald (the instructor) got his brown belt almost 2 years ago, and I think he lives in Chicago now but comes down every now and then to see how things are going. I believe the new instructor is Darren, who is a tiny super friendly black guy. Honestly, Don was the best BJJ instructor I've ever had. He is awesome at breaking down technique and explaining it, so it's too bad if he did move to Chicago. All of those guys were super cool too, and I thought it was a great place to train. But this was also like 2 years ago.

Another option is Strong Style fight team, which is more MMA oriented. They have some good fighters and from what I remember were located in a Tracy's Karate or something on the west side of Cleveland. This is the first thing that came up when I searched for them: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=92615584

Hope that helps!

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    3/18/2008 4:26am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can go to www.naafs.tv go to the forums and they can give you more info there. Lots of guys fight out of Ohio there and they know the Ohio MMA scene.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2008 6:34am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi folks

Check out StrongStyle. 2 of the guys training with me head up there on occasion and have nothing but good stuff to day.

email me for details: mark.juszczec@gmail.com

Mark

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    3/18/2008 6:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strong Style did amazing at the show I was at in Ohio and all their guys looked good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2008 8:45pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train at Strongstyle and Evolution BJJ. They are both good schools. I've heard mixed reviews on Griffin Rawl and Playland but I have never trained at either place. Team evolution guys are doing their crosstraining at a MT place in Chagrin Falls now it seems and I've started to train there too as gass is just to much for me to travel to Strongstyle. Make no mistake if you want to get in the ring though and go full on Strongstyle is the place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2008 8:48pm

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JRT6
    I train at Strongstyle and Evolution BJJ.
    Where's Evolution BJJ? Do they have a website?

Enquiring minds.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast