Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Filipino Martial Arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2009 11:17am

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love the, Drummer, why not do stick fighting? angle. Well played, well played.

Seriously, though, what do you hope to get out of this? You had pages of people saying "Don't do wing chun or karate, do boxing or muay thai" and you ended it by saying "I'm gonna try krotty then the chun!"

Well, if you're thinking about taking boxing, DO IT.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 5:31am

Style: non right now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The boxing place is somewhat near my place and thats the thing that i have been thinking about. Also, if i could find a good tai chi place near me i may look into that as some of you have said.

My knee is way better, almost like it was never injured it. I believe that my wrists will always be the way that they are. I have done physical therapy and things like that and i think that where i am at is about the best place i can get with my wrists. They dont hurt or anything but if i rub my arm on my thumb side at times i get a electric feeling in my arm going down into my thumb.

It may be possible that taking boxing or tai chi my actually help my wrists get stronger. I guess the only way im gonna find out will be to take some lessons to check how i feel.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 11:57pm

Style: non right now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just found this tai chi school in my area: http://discoverkungfu.com/index.htm What do you all think of it? From what i read they teach tai chi as a form of self defense which is great!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 2:09am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks OK. Just bear in mind that this appears to be a traditional martial arts school, so chances are that their approach will involve traditional conditioning methods, stylized movements, cultural elements like bowing and so-on.

If you're particularly interested in Tai Chi as a self defense method, note that the website refers to working on the form (i.e., the formal sequence of movement techniques) for 6 months to a year before you start to focus on fighting applications. That attitude is typical of the traditional martial arts perspective and makes a certain amount of sense re. conditioning muscles, working on flexibility, sensitivity skills etc. It's in strong contrast to something like Western boxing, in which you'd typically get into sparring much faster.

Here's the Yang Tai Chi Chuan form:

YouTube - Yang Tai Chi 2 Taiji Long Form 108

And here are some basic "applications", i.e. fighting interpretations of the movements:

YouTube - YMAA Taiji Applications (Yang taijiquan) tai chi fighting!

Basically, yes, many of the formal movements can be interpreted as effective fighting techniques (it kind of depends on the instructor's knowledge of/skill at actual, real fighting as opposed to academic demos, etc.) However, it's a long process to get to the point where you can apply those techniques against an aggressive, resisting opponent, and that's assuming that your instructor teaches truly realistic training drills.

There are also numerous aspects of real-life self defense that are seldom addressed in any sort of martial arts class.

The "bridge" between the formal, stylized movements and real fighting is the exercise of tui shou or pushing hands:

YouTube - Yang Style Tai Chi Series (2/3): Push Hand Exercise KF718eB

And the next level is push hands sparring:

YouTube - Tuishou Taiji "libre" en compétition FFwushu

Basically, have a clear understanding of what you want to get out of the training and communicate that to the instructor, then try some classes and see how it fits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 11:31am

Style: SEKKJBA, MACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    with your injuries you can still do any style you want once you modify training to suit your injuries, by building up the damaged areas or permanetly modifying aspects of what you do veres everyone else due to injury prevention.

some arts that can be easy on you, arent gonna help you in terms of self defense, sometimes its the techniques of the arts in other cases its the lack of application and training methods, and sometimes all of the above.

some goods arts to take to get started

Tai Chi....but its not very effective for fighting. but its great for beginners, stick to the forms, its the most effective aspect. just when sometime in tai chi is hard on the knee, back off and start smaller.

krav maga its good fitness and more basic motor skills, so far my knees have been fine. if anything is questionable dont do it.

boxing is great just go easy on dips, uppercuts and ducking

bjj is good be sure to tape up as in all the arts
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234