supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Report: Woman, cat shared staph bug

Original article at : http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080313/...QsAknGpdUE1vAI

By LINDA A. JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer
    Thu Mar 13, 7:12 PM ET

People struggling to get rid of recurrent staph infections might want to consider an often-overlooked source: the family pet. A German woman repeatedly battled the same strain of drug-resistant superbug MRSA until her cat was tested and treated. It's one of the few documented cases of transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus between a person and a cat.

The otherwise healthy woman had deep abscesses, or boils, all over her back, said Dr. Andreas Sing, a microbiologist at the Bavarian Health and Food Safety Authority in Oberschleissheim near Munich. Nasal and other swabs from her husband and two children showed they carried the MRSA germ on skin but had no signs of infection.

Antiseptic washes and antibiotic nasal ointment killed the germ in the other family members, but the woman was still infected. Four weeks after the apparently healthy cat was treated with antibiotics, the woman was free of MRSA and her abscesses had all healed, Sing wrote in a brief report in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine.

"I think the woman infected the cat and the cat had it and might have reinfected the woman," Sing said in an interview.

Several previous cases of MRSA infections in dogs and their owners have been reported, as well as a cluster in pigs and farmers in the Netherlands, said Dr. Neil Fishman of the Infectious Diseases Society of America.

He said the problem is more common in people with weak immune systems and urged people to regularly wash up after handling pets.

This is an interesting angle on staph to be aware off. So, wash yourself slobs and don't infect your kittens, puppies and bunnies!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well that fucking sucks, another possible source of Staph infection in my home. From the article it didn't seem like they were 100% sure that it was the case and that the chances of getting staph in this manner is pretty slim.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 4:49pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm sold. time to exterminate cats.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm actually not surprised, even though I never though of it before. One can get ringworm from a dog (and IIRC dogs get sick more often from illnesses passed by humans than the other way around.)

Make a bonfire and bring your cats people. Clubbing them to a pulp won't suffice.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 9:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Se-Jong TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now I don't feel like as much of a sucker for changing the litterbox when my wife was pregnant. :-)