Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 1:02am

Style: BJJ (blue)/Judo (blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Burnaby Catch Wrestling

This club meets once a week at a local community centre. The class takes place in a large gymnasium on 3 large wrestling mats which are rolled out for the class. The mats seem to have seen better days. The instructor is very friendly and seems quite knowledgeable. He was game to answer questions and seemed to know a bit about MMA and grappling beyond just wrestling. The class I attended began with a warm-up jog, calisthenics (which included some wrestling specific exercises), and stretching. Then we did some drills related to level-changes and foot-work for shooting. The instructor took a lot of time to explain various points and reasons for doing particular things. We then gradually progressed via a few steps to more and more "alive" work. We ended by doing real shoots with a partner resisting. The next exercise involved doing a line-up where each person had to shoot on each other member in turn and try to take him down. The instructor later added a few minutes of ground-work after the take-down for anyone who said they had done some grappling before. The total length of the class was 1 hour and 30 minutes.

My main complaint was the short class time devoted to live sparring. However, that's just me; I like sparring. I think the class was great with respect to instruction. Beginners and experienced grapplers who are novices with respect to wrestling (like me) would benefit greatly from this class. Coming from BJJ, I liked having detailed walkthroughs of take-down techniques. For fear of being accused of nut-riding, I will include the other downsides. They only meet once a week; so you're not going to get hardcore training for competitions and the like. Also, the mats are old and dirty and no-one seems interested in mopping them either before or after the training (stock up on ring-worm powder!!).

In conclusion, it remains to be seen how much this "catch-wrestling" differs from wrestling. The one class I took didn't give me enough of an idea of the instructors submission wrestling techniques/skills. I also think the cost is very reasonable. Note that in addition to the 20$, there is a one-time initiation fee of 100$ which pays for your membership in BC Wrestling (you can enter their tournaments), a t-shirt, and the liability insurance.
    Last edited by Hemant; 3/14/2008 7:52pm at .

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 10:45pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. Thanks for the review.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    3/15/2008 12:26am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Matt Furey affiliate that isn't crap. The irony.

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 11:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does Anyone on here go to the burnaby catch wrestling club? if so can you let me know... can't find a web page or anything on them.

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 11:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was their page http://www.burnabycatchwrestling.com/

Looks like it's gone 404.

Still google knows everything look what I found
    http://www.hotfrog.ca/Companies/Burnaby-Catch-Wrestling

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 7:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey looks good, thanks a lot........

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 11:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wrestling, Boxing, Street

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this class still active?
    Love to join it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 1:14am

Style: BJJ (blue)/Judo (blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have not trained here for years and so had no idea what was happening with the club. Coincidentally, just today I ran into one of the guys who was there when I was training and he told me the club still meets at the same location (Willingdon Heights Community Centre). There are apparently many more members now than previously. The site is still down but the link above provides an address at least. When I trained there they were meeting every Wednesday evening. You could probably call the community centre and ask when the club meets and go check it out. Good bunch of guys; at least back when I was going. Hope that helps...

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 12:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. Never expected to see a reply to this one