Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP:

If you find walkouts to be too hard on your back, it means your abdominals are waaaay to strong related to your lower back (a very common situation for many).

People work the living **** out of their abdominals, but never do anything about their lower backs. Everything needs to be in balance.

So, you need to work both your abdominals and lower back in tandem (and you must remember to stretch both as well.) If you find walkouts or ab wheels to be too difficult, then I'd suggest you complement your abdominal exercises (pick from the list provided by Emevas) with supermans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8szJuzPt-sg

And do this to stretch your abdominals and upper/lower back. Please make sure you see all three clips from start to end, even if you think you are familiar with some or most of the concepts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh4lHJzIwgU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2hVeq3bZCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETELr2DJok0

A lot of people dismiss some of these simple moves, but they are proven to help relieve lower back pain if done with diligence on a daily basis.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 9:56am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    What do you think of hanging leg raises Macho?
    May not be good for those with weak lower backs/glutes. Also, pple sometimes forget to raise the hips up (into the abdominal crunch) so what they do is that they leg raises into a hip flexors exercise.

As long as people remember to bring the hips into the abdominals, then they'll hit the abs with leg raises (in any case, it's a problem found with most ab exercises.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 10:08am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did anyone mention planks?

Someone did mention hip flexors. I think situps where you sit all the way up eventually work your hip flexors. Tight hip flexors = back pain according to my PT. I gotta agree with her because my back pain has diminished since I started stretching my hip flexors regularly.

Mark

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 12:33pm

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by juszczec
    Did anyone mention planks?

Someone did mention hip flexors. I think situps where you sit all the way up eventually work your hip flexors. Tight hip flexors = back pain according to my PT. I gotta agree with her because my back pain has diminished since I started stretching my hip flexors regularly.

Mark
    From what I understood about Janda situps, if you do them correctly, you are not using hip flexors. But I agree with regular situps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 12:35pm

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberduck
    From what I understood about Janda situps, if you do them correctly, you are not using hip flexors. But I agree with regular situps.
    I was only talking about regular situps.

What's a Janda situp?

Mark

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 12:40pm

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by juszczec
    I was only talking about regular situps.

What's a Janda situp?

Mark
    http://cbass.com/HardestSitup.htm

Like this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2008 2:20am

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hanging leg raises are cool, though it's better to do knee raises, because I find with leg raises I tend to get strong hip flexors but then terminate RoM at that point, I think the knees have to be going tothe ceiling to be using full ab involvement, really. To control the movement with that is the intention.

One good thing about this, is that hanging will put traction on your spine, so if you're getting hurt from any kind of impingement, the extra space between your discs will probably help out. It also means you'll work a lot harder for each degree of motion you flex.

Inverted situps do this same sort of thing.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12