Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 4:00pm

Style: MMA: (kick)boxing,BJJ,SG

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Beginner PT

Hi guys,

I've started picking up MMA training, and think it's probs a good idea to get started on some PT. I'm not fat or out-of-shape looking (bit on the skinny side) but I'm not as fit or strong as I'd want to be for MMA at all. The gym I train at provides me with access to plenty of weights and other equipment so there's no problem there, so does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding PT for a beginner? Perhaps a good programme I can get started on?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 4:32pm

Style: The grapply boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do a 5x5 or 3x5. Google Stronglifts and Starting Strength, pick whichever you got the time for.

If you're looking to pack on some pounds: eat heavy, lift heavy, sleep heavy. You'll get your cardio by training MMA, don't worry about it.

If you're looking to fight at a low weight class: do cardio, lift once a week at decent poundage, and focus on explosive strength over absolute strength.

Two different roads. You can get strong fast, and get fit slow. Or you can get fit fast, and strong slow. Training to fight does both, but don't mix your PT, or you'll burn out real quick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2011 1:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvmac View Post
    Do a 5x5 or 3x5. Google Stronglifts and Starting Strength, pick whichever you got the time for.

If you're looking to pack on some pounds: eat heavy, lift heavy, sleep heavy. You'll get your cardio by training MMA, don't worry about it.

If you're looking to fight at a low weight class: do cardio, lift once a week at decent poundage, and focus on explosive strength over absolute strength.

Two different roads. You can get strong fast, and get fit slow. Or you can get fit fast, and strong slow. Training to fight does both, but don't mix your PT, or you'll burn out real quick.
    Thanks! I'll look into this. Is it a good idea to combine a weight training programme with doing MA training 6 days a week? Monday, wednesday amd friday is Muay Thai, there's boxing on tuesday and friday as well, BJJ on tuesday, grappling on thursday and a seperate MMA class on saturday.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2011 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell yes it's a good idea! I came from a background in Strength and Conditioning (teach professional althletes and personal training), when I jumped into martial arts about 2 years ago people couldn't believe my "natural talent". This all attributed to years of daily conditioning. This was really true for grappling. I was rolling with blues and purples very easily in a short amount of time.

I'd highly recommend the crossfit programs, however they cause newcomers to jump right into advanced exercises. Build a foundation (and seek instruction) of doing proper lunges, squats, deadlifts, push ups, pull ups, and rotational movements. From there you simply progress those movements. I just got done with Martin Rooney's book "ultimate warrior workouts" nothin new but would be a great read for a beginner looking to take it up a notch.

I even consider strength conditiong more intergral than MA practice at times. There's alot of guys who train MA everyday, but skip conditioning because they feel they already get it out of training. They have more technique, but there still much weaker. If there's anything we've learned it's technique PLUS conditioning will always be superior.
    Last edited by CaseyRyback; 9/01/2011 3:13pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 1:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyRyback View Post
    Hell yes it's a good idea! I came from a background in Strength and Conditioning (teach professional althletes and personal training), when I jumped into martial arts about 2 years ago people couldn't believe my "natural talent". This all attributed to years of daily conditioning. This was really true for grappling. I was rolling with blues and purples very easily in a short amount of time.

I'd highly recommend the crossfit programs, however they cause newcomers to jump right into advanced exercises. Build a foundation (and seek instruction) of doing proper lunges, squats, deadlifts, push ups, pull ups, and rotational movements. From there you simply progress those movements. I just got done with Martin Rooney's book "ultimate warrior workouts" nothin new but would be a great read for a beginner looking to take it up a notch.

I even consider strength conditiong more intergral than MA practice at times. There's alot of guys who train MA everyday, but skip conditioning because they feel they already get it out of training. They have more technique, but there still much weaker. If there's anything we've learned it's technique PLUS conditioning will always be superior.
    Thanks, I've heard of Rooney's book and I'll definitely check it out. The great thing about my gym is the subscription includes unlimited participation in kickboxing, boxing, grappling and bjj classes, AND unlimited use of the weights and machines. There's an instructor walking around everyday except at the weekend too I believe. Seems I'm pretty much settled.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 8:14am

Style: wingchunkickboxingfencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not the 3x5 again please jall dont do this **** if you whant to be strong or powerful try this routine made by Jean-Pierre Egger or try to use more weight in the negative phase

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 8:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 11:34am

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by smartangel View Post
    not the 3x5 again please jall dont do this **** if you whant to be strong or powerful try this routine made by Jean-Pierre Egger or try to use more weight in the negative phase
    That's not so much a routine as a highlight video. Do you have a written breakdown of the program or is it just 'high weight eccentric movements and stability work'?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 11:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zod View Post
    That's not so much a routine as a highlight video. Do you have a written breakdown of the program or is it just 'high weight eccentric movements and stability work'?
    Agreed, I don't know what to do with this video

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 1:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here a routine
    day 1
    squat and bench 2- 3set 1-5 rep Plus pylio jump at the end off a set

day 2
    squat and bench 2-3 set and 1-2 rep of isometric at each 20 angle
    and jump after your set

day 3
    3 single with more weigth in the excentric phase and jump at the end of your set
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast