Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 10:32pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Deadlift Walk

While checking for new articles in Testosterone Nation, I noticed they just published a new article on deadlifts. It's an interesting variation in which you DL about 65% of your 1RM and walk with the loaded bar for two steps, reset and repeat. Interesting and useful, me thinks.

You can see the entire article here:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=2009588

And this is the synopsis:

1. Find yourself a power rack that has safety supports with handles sticking out of the front. You're going to place the bar here, on the outside of the rack. (If you don't have access to a power rack, you can just set the bar on a bench or a couple of boxes.) The bar should hit you just below the knees.

2. Load the barbell with approximately 65% of your raw deadlift 1RM. So, if you can pull 400 without a belt or other gear, load the bar with 260 pounds.

3. Now, set the bar on the floor directly in front of the power rack, about two full steps away. Assume a shoulder-width stance with your grip outside of your legs. Use a symmetrical pronated grip (palms facing you), not the mixed powerlifter's grip.

4. Once you reach lockout, take two steps forward, reset your stance, and lower the bar onto the supports.

Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 10:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any reason this thread is called "walking lunges" instead of walking deadlifts?

I'm thinking of using these instead of deadlifts from a deficit with a focus on leg drive.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 10:46pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas

I'm thinking of using these instead of deadlifts from a deficit with a focus on leg drive.
    I'm thinking TeM had a brain fade. It's a deadlift walk on t-nation too.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 6:53am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because I'm a complete moron :eusa_doh:

Yeah that's sounds like a good idea. I don't think the gym I'm going to has enough space for it, so I may have to use dumbbells. The heaviest ones they have are about 125lbs and two of them nicely make 65% of my 1RM as recommended in the article.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2008 2:18am

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw this article too, really liked it. It's sort of like a farmer's walk, but obviously as different as a deadlift is from a trap bar deadlift in that regard. Reminds me like partial RoM one-legged deadlifts, only because you're moving forward it involves more ankle involvement.