Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 9:51am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the student/instructor still under the supervision of the whiney instructor? If this is aikido I'm going to have to find something to motivate me to answer this question. You do know what the positive outcome is, one less aikio bunny.

I am a moocher who cheats Bullshido out of much needed funds.

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 9:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have set up meetings with lawyers under the guise of " finding out if you are good fit for me" then popped a few questions then. Easy way to get a question answered for free.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by webprofessor
    I have gone to the grocery store and opened the food under the guise of " finding out if you are good lunch for me" then eaten a bite or two then. Easy way to get a lunch for free.

Yeah, I kind of pegged you for being "that guy".
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 10:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll bet lawyers fall for that **** a lot. They're not used to people asking for free advice or lying to them. Personally, I've always thought the best thing to do when in trouble is to hire the best lawyer you can find. Events that I've witnessed in the past, and Lamokio, have pretty much firmed up that opinion for me. If faced with a lawsuit, the best response is to find a good lawyer. If you are truly negligent, a lawyer can minimise the damages, and if the lawsuit is unfounded, you may be able to recover your legal fees.

:)

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 10:25am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FickleFingerOfFate
    and I bet he doesn't tip. Cheap, miserly bastard!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 10:59am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    webprofessor,

You have to realize I wasn't looking for legal advise, or necessarily a legal opinion. Understanding that any strenuous physical activity can potentially lead to injury, I just thought these two particular possibilities of incurring liability were interesting.

I was more struck by the first situation. Say I were a martial arts instructor with my own dojo/dojang/etc. and I injured a student. I would have never considered they might be able to go after my instructor in a lawsuit.

AND

Hey Samuel B.,

I know the hang-ups folks have with Aikido, which is why I tried to make the situation more generic to martial arts in general. The original text on this situation doesn't specifically state if the fledgling instructor is in some way supervised by his sensei.

My take on it was that the fledgling instructor was out on his own without attaching any auspices to his sensei, or patronage of his sensei's dojo.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 11:08am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to understand I1, we have people that don't understand a webforum is for discussion.

Yes, shocking I know. Even if you are looking for medical or Legal advice (or weren't) nothing wrong with asking questions.

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 11:25am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrigible 1
    webprofessor,

You have to realize I wasn't looking for legal advise, or necessarily a legal opinion. Understanding that any strenuous physical activity can potentially lead to injury, I just thought these two particular possibilities of incurring liability were interesting.

I was more struck by the first situation. Say I were a martial arts instructor with my own dojo/dojang/etc. and I injured a student. I would have never considered they might be able to go after my instructor in a lawsuit.

AND

Hey Samuel B.,

I know the hang-ups folks have with Aikido, which is why I tried to make the situation more generic to martial arts in general. The original text on this situation doesn't specifically state if the fledgling instructor is in some way supervised by his sensei.

My take on it was that the fledgling instructor was out on his own without attaching any auspices to his sensei, or patronage of his sensei's dojo.
    The reason why I asked is that normally a lawyer would have to assert that the original sensei had some sort of supervisory relationship and then was negligent in such duties.

So without wasting my time looking up the caselaw, I'm wondering if this is closer to some sort of product liability claim, especially to stretch out the statute of limitations. Lets suppose for the sake of argument the first sensi was negligent and he taught the technique 5 years ago and the limit for negligence in that state is 2 years. You need a theory to get around this problem and continuing supervision is the most likely theory.

In the mean time webprofessor you will undoubtedly get some freebies, but if you ever truly need someone to represent you, please do not return to the lawyer you got free legal advice from, because they will want a retainer this time. That trick works once and then we decide that you're a time waster.

I am a moocher who cheats Bullshido out of much needed funds.

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 11:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FickleFingerOfFate
    Yep I'm cheap.

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 11:28am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm also sending a link to this thread to all the other lawyers on this site, so you can't get any freebies here. :)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast