Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 1:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does the United States Have its own unique type of Bullshido?

Serious question.
    I meant to post this a while ago and actually thought i did, but didnt get around to it. Anyway. I note that there are some specific types of BS that are referred to on a regular basis BUT seemingly only in the US. Now, this may be because the majority of our posters are from there, or could it be that there is a cultural difference in the manifestation of bullshit?
    I refer here to a couple of specific things:

Firstly, the infamous mail order belt testing/distance learning. You know the one, watch a video, tape yourself doing a kick or two, send it off, get a black belt and instructors certificate in the mail etc etc. All of the threads I have seen on this subject appear to be referring to organisations within the US.

Secondly, there have been many references to McDojo's signing people on for fixed term contracts (sometime for two or three years!). All of the posts I recall reading about this are within the US also. Over here, I have never come across a school that has contracts. They all seem to charge on a monthly basis.

Thirdly, there have many accounts of incredibly ridicolous fees for gradings (or belt tests as some call them). Also a rarity over here. I only seem to recall one thread from anywhere BUT the US referring to this phenomonon.

These are the main things that I have noticed regards this subject. I am not saying that the US has a monopoly on Bullshido, simply that it seems to have its own brand. There are bound to be examples of these three points in other places in the world, but are they so widespread?
    Also, are there any other general bullshido traits that are specifically prominent in other cultures that people are aware of?

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 1:13am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where is 'here'?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 1:16am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, we have an unusually large amount. No it isn't the US only.

Heck they play the same games in other countries.

What would BJJA equal to most people?

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 1:19am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    Where is 'here'?
    Good point. Here is New Zealand

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 1:20am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Yes, we have an unusually large amount. No it isn't the US only.

Heck they play the same games in other countries.

What would BJJA equal to most people?
    BJJ Australia?

Jsut to clarify, I'm noit suggesting the US is the bullshido capital, jsut examining the possibility that they have some speciailised types of bullshido

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 1:21am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bullshido is everywhere.
    The US probably contains the world leaders in Mcdojoism. But where the yanks lead, the rest of us follow.

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 1:27am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    Bullshido is everywhere.
    The US probably contains the world leaders in Mcdojoism. But where the yanks lead, the rest of us follow.
    Hail Progress!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 1:28am

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate to say it but it has a lot to do with the cultural mystique behind martial arts that causes the bullshit to thrive so well here in the United States I think.
    I mean we have one of the most diverse population builds but we gawk and marvel at other countries.

Like the exist or something.

So the bullshit movement in the martial arts getting started way back when coming over here.
    People realized that you can just claim to be some hermit from the hills in China, and wow, now your a force to be reckoned with. WITH TANKS.
    The U.S. I think seperates itself too much from it's own immigrant/ foreign population too much.
    I'm not about to say the white man stereotyping Chinese people is the cause. I am just saying it doesn't help.
    But as a result so suburbinites succumb to the whiles of bullshit much easier.
    As there is this massive stereotype we hold of the martial arts community.

It's not that the American people are inherently stupid.
    (or... perhaps... just maybe)
    It's just has a lot to do with the social conditioning surrounding martial arts here, as well as the large gap between what goes on in the actuality and how it is percieved in the public eye.

I mean I tell kids my age that I do martial arts and they get visions of ninjas and fucking Neo.
    When in actuality it's me getting the **** kicked out of me by guys twice my age.
    There's a large seperation of information, which can be used greatly to the bullshit artists advantage.

Also other countries didn't go through the 80's like America went through the 80's.
    Most had the dignity to just accept it as ten years.
    We filled it full of the most cubic ninja-ness possible.

So we also have that praying upon us.

Or hell. I dunno.

Maybe we just really pissed someone off.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 1:33am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

These are the main things that I have noticed regards this subject. I am not saying that the US has a monopoly on Bullshido, simply that it seems to have its own brand.
    Yes. It's called RBSD.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 1:40am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Serious question.
    I meant to post this a while ago and actually thought i did, but didnt get around to it. Anyway. I note that there are some specific types of BS that are referred to on a regular basis BUT seemingly only in the US. Now, this may be because the majority of our posters are from there, or could it be that there is a cultural difference in the manifestation of bullshit?
    I refer here to a couple of specific things
    Firstly, the infamous mail order belt testing/distance learning. You know the one, watch a video, tape yourself doing a kick or two, send it off, get a black belt and instructors certificate in the mail etc etc. All of the threads I have seen on this subject appear to be referring to organisations within the US.
    Again you misunderstood my post. Yes we had specialized bullshido. No, it isn't exclusive.

Secondly, there have been many references to McDojo's signing people on for fixed term contracts (sometime for two or three years!). All of the posts I recall reading about this are within the US also. Over here, I have never come across a school that has contracts. They all seem to charge on a monthly basis.
    I've seen the same contracts at schools outside of the country.

Thirdly, there have many accounts of incredibly ridicolous fees for gradings (or belt tests as some call them). Also a rarity over here. I only seem to recall one thread from anywhere BUT the US referring to this phenomonon.
    Same response as above.

This site was mostly American in the beginning hence the one thread. As more international posters join we get better stories.

We had a recent thread were a few idiots were upset because a European school was being discussed.

Your BJJA answer was wrong but close to what I thought BJJ A=association. I was wrong.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/23/2006 1:43am at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast