Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

blotter art.

Posted On:
    3/18/2008 8:38am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Silva would get his ass handed to him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2008 12:49pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    grabbling sports never made millions of dollars on ppv. they actually benifit from mma fighters competing in them because it increases their exposure. i mean hdnet now shows ameteur mma matches. NCAA championship wrestling is lucky to make it onto espn 27.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    no i am not bear1980, beorn was my lame reference to lotr lol. and i think ppv/tv exposure is very important to a sport, because talent goes where the money goes, and ppv is a good way to make money. that being said, yeah there will always be good athletes gravitating to olympic sports.
    So, you were attempting to argue that PPV is important to Boxing because talent goes where the money goes. Then you backpedalled and agreed that it's an Olympic sport and will always have talent. Were you attempting to level an argument there or just pad what I already said?

Quote Originally Posted by theword
    Sure yeah, I get that. But then isn't Silva just doing the same thing but in reverse? Like if a boxing fan says: "All MMA fighters aren't technical" and Silva says: "Yes they are, I will prove it by fighting RJJ in a boxing match"...well, you see where this is going. Silva doesn't represent the skill level of all MMA practioners, in fact I would say that he is a bit above and beyond most if not all.
    Yes I see where that's going because it was originally my point. The charge is that all MMA fighters are not technical. Silva is an MMA fighter. He represents MMA fighters in general. Of course, he does not represent the skill level of all MMA fighters and nobody was saying that. Since he is an MMA fighter and he represents MMA fighters in general then his point can be proven. Silva can enter a boxing ring and show that MMA fighters can be technical, even if he doesn't win.
    Last edited by Rooster; 3/18/2008 12:58pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2008 2:05pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    So, you were attempting to argue that PPV is important to Boxing because talent goes where the money goes. Then you backpedalled and agreed that it's an Olympic sport and will always have talent. Were you attempting to level an argument there or just pad what I already said?
    what i am trying to say is that without ppv, and the money it provides, the sport of boxing will become something like wrestling. now everyone knows about wrestling, but ask someone the rule set and they tell u stuff from the wwe. i mean i wrestled folkstyle in high school for 4 years and i couldnt even tell u all the rules of olympic wrestling cause it is free style or greco roman. the end result being, especially in the higher weight classes, is that people who would and could be outstanding wrestlers concentrate on football and other sports because there is potential money there, and more noteriety in high school/college. So basically my point is there will always be people who need to go out and fight, and those people are going to gravitate towards boxing, and be successful, but there are people that are judt natural athletes that may have an inclination towards boxing/wrestling/martial arts in general, but if there is no money there, they will not jepordize their other athletic pursuits that can make them money.

its not entirely appropriate, but think brock lesnar when he decided not to do mma right out of college
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456