Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 7:36pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seconding that he doesn't look out of shape.

What are the rules of the recorded fight? what are the rules of the next one?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2008 1:37am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hi guys, thanks once again for the much appreciated advice. my fight was standard MT rules (i.e. elbows knees allowed) . 3 x 2min rounds.

I am not at peak fitness, but i don't think i am terribly unfit either. i agree that i am not MUAYTHAI fit, because some parts of my body cant keep up with the pace. eg, my legs tire b4 my hands etc. But still of course i definitely MUST get as fit as i can for my next fight.

i felt weak throwing kicks as the fight went on, maybe due to adrenaline, maybe also due to my lack of confidence in my kicks. which is why i was very reluctant to throw any kicks as the fight went on. i did however feel that i still had alot left in my hands. and i tried to go all punches only towards the end.

i'm guessing i need to kick alot more to score in MT? but my technique (esp left kick) is really poor and it doesnt help that i m naturally very inflexible. its hard correcting my kick myself.

i want to be able to execute kicks fast and in plentiful amounts?

will kicking pads more help? (eg 20 kicks at a time each leg until i gas out)

what more can i do?

thanks everyone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2008 7:02pm

Style: Muay Thai - Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stretch first thing in the morning every morning. Annoying I know but yeilds good results.
    If you feel your very inflexable, stretch at night also.

Also try 200 round kicks against heavy bag, per leg, regularly (once or twice per week), with proper technique. Many thais train this way.

I try not to sound conceited when offering advice to people (sounds like do this, do that) so if this is not helpful then please ignore it, but stretching in the morning and at night really helped me alot, I could not kick above my own hip level when I started MA's, but was I kicking to head hight in a few months of doing this.
    I also did slow leg raising exercises to increase my leg strength.

It could be helpfull to you in later rounds, a few good, hard kicks to the ribs can get you out of alot trouble when someones hands are sharper than yours.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2008 12:22am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by prs1002000
    Stretch first thing in the morning every morning. Annoying I know but yeilds good results.
    If you feel your very inflexable, stretch at night also.

Also try 200 round kicks against heavy bag, per leg, regularly (once or twice per week), with proper technique. Many thais train this way.

I try not to sound conceited when offering advice to people (sounds like do this, do that) so if this is not helpful then please ignore it, but stretching in the morning and at night really helped me alot, I could not kick above my own hip level when I started MA's, but was I kicking to head hight in a few months of doing this.
    I also did slow leg raising exercises to increase my leg strength.

It could be helpfull to you in later rounds, a few good, hard kicks to the ribs can get you out of alot trouble when someones hands are sharper than yours.
    thanks bro,

can i ask what type of stretching will help best? static or dynamic? any particular muscle groups i should concentrate on?

i feel that my hips are very rigid, when i try to kick high i get a slight painful discomfort in the hips so how do i get more flexibility there?

thanks alot!

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/16/2008 2:18am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dynamic.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/16/2008 2:21am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stonekoh
    thanks bro,

can i ask what type of stretching will help best? static or dynamic? any particular muscle groups i should concentrate on?

i feel that my hips are very rigid, when i try to kick high i get a slight painful discomfort in the hips so how do i get more flexibility there?

thanks alot!
    Do me a favor. Video tape your self kicking high on a heavy bag so I can see your entire body posture including base foot placement.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2008 7:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Do me a favor. Video tape your self kicking high on a heavy bag so I can see your entire body posture including base foot placement.
    ok will do , i ll try to get a vid in asap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 5:31pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First advice, get a new cameraman! :) Hell, you weren't kidding when you said the camera work was poor. It made it real hard to decipher a lot of the action.....

There are a lot of areas to work on, obviously. For your 1st fight, you have nothing to be ashamed of, though there are some definite lessons to be learned. A lot of this stuff has already been covered by others, such as getting better cardio.... so bear with me while I start a laundrey list.

First thing: with only 2 weeks to go before your next match, there really isn't anything we are going to tell you that's going to help a great deal. Improvements in technique & strategy take time.... and time is something you really don't have.

Second thing: with the above in mind, what you can control is your own level of fitness. 2 weeks isn't much, but you *can* improve your overall cardio & fitness level. So rather than worrying about your technique, focus on simply being in better shape than your opponent. Get your endurance up as much as you possibly can!!! My recommendation? Wind Sprints and Stairs. They are your friends right now....

Third thing: Now we're getting into the things that will take time for you to adjust, because you're going to fall into habits for now.... You have to consider how Muay Thai is scored. That means that all those punches and leg kicks don't score a great deal. Those are some of the least valued techniques in the sport. If you want to score, you need to land kicks & knees to the body & head. You need your strikes to MOVE your opponent! You need to land push kicks (teeps) that unbalance your opponent. You need to sweep your opponent off of his feet..... THOSE are what really score in a Muay Thai match. Sure, you can win with other stuff, but its very difficult because you have to be very good, or your opponent has to be very bad.

In any case, Chok Dee!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 10:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao
    Get your endurance up as much as you possibly can!!! My recommendation? Wind Sprints and Stairs. They are your friends right now....
    In any case, Chok Dee!
    thanks khun kao! :) can u just elaborate on wind sprints and stairs? how do i do them?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2008 7:39am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wind Sprints: I recommend going to a playing field, such as a soccer field, and running as fast as you can from one end to the other. Once you complete 1 length of the field, turn around and jog back as you catch your breath and get your heartrate back down. Once you get back to your starting point, IMMEDIATELY turn around and sprint the field again. Keep repeating this until you simply can't do any more sprints.

Stairs: Find as long a flight of stairs as you can to run up and down. From personal experience, I used to run the stairs at a local Masonic Temple. There were 144 stairs in total, but what made it even more difficult was the fact that there were about 10 stairs, then a long straight-away, then another 10 stairs, another long straight away... etc. The last 40+ stairs went straight to the top. It's a real bitch of a run. I would run up and down that a minimum of 3x's, twice per week. Sometimes I'd get more days or repetitions in. We also have the world famous "Exorcist Stairs" nearby. That is another LOOOOOOOOONG flight of stairs that we will try to take our fighters to and make them run them once a week. Up & down once is not enough. Multiple repetitions, stopping between repetitions to do calisthenic and plyometric drills, etc.....
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast