Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 7:09am

Style: Nihon Koryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Post less, lurk more. You obviously aren't knowledgeable in any of the martial arts mentioned in your post. :icon_twis

Quote Originally Posted by TheOMGEffect
    I found this thread via google and I'd have to say it is really freaking weird seeing random people posting pictures of my dojo on the internet as a thread topic. I wasn't training at that dojo when that picture was taken so I'm not in it but it's really weird since I know those people. Bertram Wong is the assistant Sensei at our dojo now while Akira Fukuda is the head sensei. Miyake-sensei moved from my curret dojo where Fukuda-sensei teaches to Texas about 4 years ago I think. So the dojo in the picture is not the dojo he teaches at anymore and it probably wasn't when the picture was taken either because they had a white mat back then.

I don't know much but Miyake-sensei from what my sensei says is one of the worlds best at Karate and is pretty scary in Jujitsu and Iai-do.

I don't personally train under Miyake-sensei. The closest I have come to that is saying hi to him at Karate Nationals and watching his kids for a little while, but I would still have to say your friend is a complete idiot. Point fighting is nowhere near real fighting and neither is MMA or LARPing. Not to say that they don't increase your odds of winning a street fight.

Point fighting in Karate will probably get you pretty far in a street fight as long as it's no more than 1 or 2 people because the other guys pretty much have no idea what they are doing and if you are good at it, you can get a couple good punches in and hopefully they are wusses and will give up after being hit only once or twice. Judo point fighting is by all means useless unless you are really big or really damn good. Because a nice an easy counter to judo is getting punched in the face. Jujitsu is probably the best to go with but the problem is that it's so dangerous that you can't really practice it outside of regular uchikomi so there is some skill lag time but again people on the street are stupid so it will work anyway and you don't have to have as much skill in jujitsu as you do in judo and karate to win easily because jujitsu is meant for street fighting nowadays.

MMA (UFC style) is a bunch of crap too and is about as effective as point fighting in Karate. If those fights weren't limited like they are, people would go down a lot faster, there would be a lot more injuries and possibly some deaths.

Now, I'm not a black belt in Karate... yet, but off the top of my head I'm fairly sure that Karate hasn't been out for 1000+ years or even more than a few hundred. I'm not so sure about Jujitsu though that could be a little closer since samurai used it to assist their sword fighting while karate was developed to make up for the anti-sword laws in Japan that were put into act in more recent years than 1000 years ago. Judo hasn't even been out for 100 years, I'm sure of. So I would have to say your friend needs to learn to use his internets properly.

Just as a big enlightenment, Those videos are advertisements meant to look cool. There is no sparing in them because they don't want new people to know that they can get hurt or hit in the face. It's stupid it advertise with sparing because if people see other people getting hit hard there is no way they are going to join.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 2:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TheOMGEffect has been on a blitzkrieg of idiocy across the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 6:10pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so after so and so months.
    I suppose we conclude that:
    1. my friend's teacher is legit as far as his formal credentials go?
    2. the yakuza stuff is exageration/hero-worship
    3. effectiveness of the training methods and his rationale for the d34dy still in the air.

and 4. Live training > Unalive Training.

oh also water is wet.

Posted On:
    12/17/2008 3:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Japanese Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Miyake DVD

Dear Variance:

I saw Kunio Miyake DVD. His Karate is very impressed to me, especially for his age.
    I have not seen anybody moving like him after 60 years old. I think that you should show
    your Karate in public, then people can tell who is better, you or Kunio Miyake.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/17/2008 3:49pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just because they're Japanese, doesn't make 'em right.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 7:39am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    so after so and so months.
    I suppose we conclude that:
    1. my friend's teacher is legit as far as his formal credentials go?
    2. the yakuza stuff is exageration/hero-worship
    3. effectiveness of the training methods and his rationale for the d34dy still in the air.

and 4. Live training > Unalive Training.

oh also water is wet.
    Also Grass is green but can be brown when not watered.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 12:31pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Jihad
    By "Eishin Ryu" i'm presuming you mean Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu ?

I ask for clarification because I've studied Muso Shinden Ryu for quite a number of years and during that time I've trained in MJER with several senior people. Nothing in that picture remotely suggests skill sets associated with MJER however, as I recognise it is a still and obviously posed image but, I'm just perplexed why anyone senior or junior would adopt a pose/stance/position which isn't reflected in the system they study.
    I'm guessing no one is in a position to offer an informed answer to my observations, especially that which I've highlighted..
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    12/15/2010 7:56pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Closed to preserve thread content.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12