Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 3:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ,Ex-Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weekly training frequency and the danger(?) of overtraining

Here's the deal mates, I've been trying to create a weekly training program including BJJ, Shotokan and strength training.

-Would a 5 (or 6) days/week training program result in overtraining (considering I have the appropriate nutrition) ? From fragments of other threrads and an article of J.Bernardi overtraining is not an issue, if rest is taken when needed and there is ample energy intake to equate the energy expenditure.

-How do you suggest I allocate my training days among these 3? Take into consideration that my BJJ school is open 6 days a week.

-Should I do my strength training right before a BJJ or shotokan session, right after it or at a completely different day?

-Would it be better to spread the days or try to have BJJ/Shot. days?

I'm 22/70kg/180cm and have been into krotty 4 years now ,so I believe overtraining shouldn't be that much of an issue, just that at the beginning it will be hard as hell. However,everyone in my immediate environment is busting my balls with overtraining hazards/injuries/syphilis etc rantswhich are starting to get to me and so any input to shed some light into it would be very helpful.

Many thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 3:43pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, it's best to group your workouts on the same day.

Second, it's best to do your EXPLOSIVE work (martial arts, plyometrics, etc.) before your weight/strength work.

Regarding overtraining . . . if you are very concerned with it, you should take your pulse every morning before you get out of bed. If your pulse is considerably higher from one day to the next, you should consider taking a day off.

At the end of the day the best thing to do is listen to your body. I went a couple of months overtraining, my body broke down and I got really sick, so now I know what it feels like, and when I start getting to that mode, I just take a day or two off.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 3:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ran into this problem and opted for a chemical solution.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ΜΑΧΗΤΗΣ
    -Would a 5 (or 6) days/week training program result in overtraining (considering I have the appropriate nutrition) ? From fragments of other threrads and an article of J.Bernardi overtraining is not an issue, if rest is taken when needed and there is ample energy intake to equate the energy expenditure.
    Depends what you do on those 5 or 6 days. I go to class and do cardio at the gym 3 other days. I do some stuff with kettlebells at home every day. Not lots of sets though. Not even close to training to failure.

Because I'm on the home straight of a weight-loss bet, I also do 20 squats and 20 pushups on the hour every hour at work to try and keep my metabolism up for fat burning. 20 squats and 20 pushups is nowhere near failure. I do not feel even close to overtraining.

Were I to try and do a 5 mile run every morning, do a 20-rep squat hypertrophy routine at lunchtime and then do a full 'manmaker' kettlebell workout before bed 5 days a week, I would be very sick and injured very quickly.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    deja vu
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 4:27pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega's Bitch
    I ran into this problem and opted for a chemical solution.
    That's unfortunate.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 5:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kicking Bulimia Victims

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 4:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ,Ex-Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From your replies I sum the following:

-Group the workouts as much possible(BJJ/Shotokan + weights)
    -Weights after training
    -If time does not allow to have 1-3 lifting days,either spread their collective time needed among all the week or do a single lifting workout(which will be in any case better than not lifting at all)
    -If all else fails go for a pro-hormone cycle :5nuclear:

So,training plus lifting is ok as a grouping for a day,but trainig plus training for a day(BJJ+Shotokan)?

Generally,a 5-6 day/week ,assuming all the other conditions are ideal(nutrition,rest) ,has a chance of standing?Have you ever tried it?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 9:31am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by prezbuluskey
    I wish I could +rep you for cross-referencing.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris