Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 3:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What thoughts went through your mind as you first stepped up to the line?
    My main thought was, "Don't get ipponed." And though that may sound like I'm joking, I'm not. I really was conserned about not just walking out there and, WAM, done. I wanted to make a good fight of it, win or lose. So, naturally, I fought defensively. Actually, my post tournament reflection has made me want to focus on being more agressive in practice from now on. But for my first tournament I wanted to stay with what I was comfortable with, and (in practice) I tended to do better countering. At least for standing up, anyway. On the ground I'm pretty offensive.

As for my gas tank, I never did look at the clock, but the first match felt long. And when it was over I was VERY tired. I've actually been working on my cardio, running on the weekends and such, but I was done after that first fight. Got that cough you can get after intense physical exertion and everything! Fortunately, I had a long wait in between fights, so I was fine for the next two, neither of which lasted quite as long.

Funny thing is, in the days preceding I couldn't wait to "get it over with." But now, I just really want to do it again. I feel like I could do so much better now. Shoot, I even feel like I will train better now, since I saw so many things I did wrong.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 6:15pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    My main thought was, "Don't get ipponed." And though that may sound like I'm joking, I'm not. I really was conserned about not just walking out there and, WAM, done. I wanted to make a good fight of it, win or lose. So, naturally, I fought defensively. Actually, my post tournament reflection has made me want to focus on being more agressive in practice from now on. But for my first tournament I wanted to stay with what I was comfortable with, and (in practice) I tended to do better countering. At least for standing up, anyway. On the ground I'm pretty offensive.
    It's not that weird to have that thought. Getting thrown hard at the beginning can be pretty embarrassing. Stick with what you're good at, but make it so your opponent has few options than what you want him to do (grips is key to this).

I have a weird thought where I feel like I'm going to die. I've only had one or two near death experiences (like falling off a steep cliff) and shiai for me feels the same way. A small part of my mind is telling me for some reason "you don't have to do this." Funny thing is, I have so far done well in tournaments, and am totally different during randori.

As for my gas tank, I never did look at the clock, but the first match felt long. And when it was over I was VERY tired. I've actually been working on my cardio, running on the weekends and such, but I was done after that first fight. Got that cough you can get after intense physical exertion and everything! Fortunately, I had a long wait in between fights, so I was fine for the next two, neither of which lasted quite as long.
    Yeah I have the same thing. Sometimes I think I hold my breath during the whole first match.

Funny thing is, in the days preceding I couldn't wait to "get it over with." But now, I just really want to do it again. I feel like I could do so much better now. Shoot, I even feel like I will train better now, since I saw so many things I did wrong.
    I'm also the same way, I just want to do the tournament and go home. After though, I'm really glad I did. Training will be much better now, it's really odd actually, I guess that Kano guy knew what he was doing...

Congrats again, and sorry for the stalking behavior, but I rarely get to talk Judo shop here on BS.

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 6:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol No sweat man. I kinda wanted to hear what other people thought, and you're the only one who responded! So I didn't mind at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 3:20pm

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll talk judo with you guys!

sounds like you had a pretty good first shiai experience. much better then mine was that's for sure.
    i was doing judo for about 6 months (only going 1x a week), i was a white belt, and everyone in my category was orange and about 20 pounds heavier then me. i got smashed for ippon in both fights in the first 30 seconds. lol. that was like 11 years ago. thankfully that doesn't happen anymore.

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 3:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was doing judo for about 6 months (only going 1x a week), i was a white belt,
    Hey, that part is pretty much me! Except I do have some other grappling exp prior. That sucks having to go against people so much bigger though. Actually, both guys I lost too were taller than me and slightly heavier. The guy I beat was about my size. Hm. I'm sensing a pattern! lol

Tonight's my first night back to training, so I'm looking forward to the post fight breakdowns. Also, I may get some video that I can upload.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 4:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'd love to seem some video!

once you get some more experience and technique the size difference becomes less of a problem. last november i fought and won against a girl who was 85kg and another who was 120kg. i weighed in at 78kg. And it wasn't like i had tonnes of experience on them. all 3 of us were black belts.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 5:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tonight's my first night back to training, so I'm looking forward to the post fight breakdowns. Also, I may get some video that I can upload.
    Siiick, get it up!

So guys.... tokui-wazas?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 6:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinhead
    I'll talk judo with you guys!

sounds like you had a pretty good first shiai experience. much better then mine was that's for sure.
    i was doing judo for about 6 months (only going 1x a week), i was a white belt, and everyone in my category was orange and about 20 pounds heavier then me. i got smashed for ippon in both fights in the first 30 seconds. lol. that was like 11 years ago. thankfully that doesn't happen anymore.
    If you want to talk crappy first shiai experiences, how about this one.
    I was about 6 months in when I went to mine. I cut enough weight to get into the -90kg section only to find that they'd combined the -90, -100 and 100kg+ categories due to lack of players.
    Then I got placed in a pool with a 1st dan and a 4th dan. I was an orange belt.
    I actually think I spent more time in the air than I did stood on the mat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 10:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthWest
    If you want to talk crappy first shiai experiences, how about this one.
    I was about 6 months in when I went to mine. I cut enough weight to get into the -90kg section only to find that they'd combined the -90, -100 and 100kg+ categories due to lack of players.
    Then I got placed in a pool with a 1st dan and a 4th dan. I was an orange belt.
    I actually think I spent more time in the air than I did stood on the mat.
    that is pretty rough!!

my fav technique is harai maki komi, use to be drop seoi nage... but my knees can't handle that anymore.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 10:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a short guy so seoinage is my tokuiwaza. Followed closely by kouchigari makikomi, not sexy, but it works against big guys.

Osotogari is also working for me. I used to think it was such a lame throw but it creeps back into my Judo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast