230782 Bullies, 4955 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 11:14am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ever increasing waist size

Hi guys,

I'm happy with the gains that I'm making in the strength, size and fitness departments with training BJJ 2-3 times and weight training 3 times a week.

What I don't get is why my waist is still expanding. Is this normal? I would expect a certain amount of growth seeing as I was doing no weights before at all but I shouldn't be looking at having to buy a whole load of new Jeans should I?

I've been watching the carbs for the last 3 weeks and although I can see more definition coming through on my stomach, my trousers are still ready to shoot the buttons off, should I breathe out too quickly. Someone suggested too much protein, is that likely?

Appreciate your thoughts
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 11:26am

Style: BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your burning more calories that you did before taking bjj. This is causing you to eat more food to make up for those lost calories. Just try to cut back on what you eat. If your bjj class is at night try not to eat a lot after it because you won't burn off the calories when you go to sleep. They will just be stored on your waist line.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 11:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See I read this article that said it didn't matter what time you're eating, so long as you're not packing in the carbs.

I tend to eat chicken and a little veg when I get back from BJJ to get some protein in my body. Plus the fact that I'm usually starving too.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 11:34am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See the thing is that modern exercise science has actually shown that an increase in physical activity will lead to an increase in size without controlling diet. It doesn't really sound like you are controlling your diet, so the fact that you are putting on weight does not surprise me.

First step:

Record everything you eat for the next 2 days in conjunction with your workout schedule and post it here. I'll critique your diet.

Here is the article that backs up the claim I'm making about more exercise = more weight gain:

http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

This is really interesting stuff and if you are working on your diet, it's required reading regarding meal timing and intake control.

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 11:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the offer of assistance Yohan. What exactly do you mean by "Controlling your diet"?

I'm currently keeping the carbs as low as possible (apart form pre workout/BJJ) and taking in a lot of Protein.

I'll read that article when I have a little time, thanks again.

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 11:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much running are you doing?

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 11:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because of the nature of my job, I don't do the same things on the same days every week but I currently do:

2 x BJJ classes per week. The classes range from 1 hour - 2.5 hours
    3 x Weight training sessions lasting about 40 minutes
    1 x Interval training - 5 x 30 second sprints on steep hills

I've been told that 30 minutes of moderate exercise in the morning and not eating for an hour will help strip fat. Anyone know if this is true?

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 11:59am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive also heard that doing a morning run or workout before breakfast stimulates your body to use up excess, but I am unable to confirm its validity other than it sounds right.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 12:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon
    How much running are you doing?
    Read the article I posted. It shows a direct correlation between activity level and weight gain. In fact, if I remember correctly, they actually used running in their experiments to show that a subject who runs and doesn't control intake will put on more weight than a sedentary subject.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 12:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadonblade
    Ive also heard that doing a morning run or workout before breakfast stimulates your body to use up excess, but I am unable to confirm its validity other than it sounds right.
    It will help to some degree, but for the most part, it's just:

calories in - calories out = calorie excess/deficit

Supposedly, activity early in the morning stimulates metabolism. Regarding weight gain, metabolism plays into it, but not heavily.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast