Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    576
    Style
    JKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Going to have to go with skill on this one. Especially 100% skill vs. 100% conditioning.

  2. #12
    Domite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    1,525
    Style
    San Shou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You cant knock somebody out in 30 seconds with NO conditioning, unless all you mean by conditioning is cardio, but either way it's a dumb question, conditioning and skill go hand in hand.

  3. #13
    mrblackmagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    right behind you.
    Posts
    3,404
    Style
    yang taichi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a sport setting and barring exceptions. Good conditioning and poor technique alone can get you farther than good technique and poor conditioning.
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

  4. #14
    Community Corrections Officer supporting member
    Matt W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    3,621
    Style
    Judo, TKD BB
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me, conditioning is what allows you to use your skill. Gassing out sucks. And I can always notice a huge difference in my performance during randori/rolling based on how tired/gassed I am. When fresh, I can hang with guys that clean my clock when it's the end of the night. Working on cardio/conditioning on the side helps my game on the mat.

  5. #15
    Squerlli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NO! SLEEP! TILL BROOKLYN!
    Posts
    3,683
    Style
    Hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    In a sport setting and barring exceptions. Good conditioning and poor technique alone can get you farther than good technique and poor conditioning.
    Dead on.

  6. #16
    Jim_Jude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555
    Style
    StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you need, according to Gene Lebell: Technique, Conditioning, and Pain Tolerance.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    499
    Style
    Jiu-jitsu & HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt Thornton said, & I'm paraphrasing:

    Aggression & conditioning make up 75% of what it is to be a good fighter. Skill & intellegence are the other 25%.

    Sadly, this equation doen't work in my favor.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    253
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    skill can win a fight against an untrained or much less skilled opponent but when fighting someone near your own skill level you will get destroyed without conditioning

  9. #19
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In low level fights (amateur and low pro shows) I'd say conditioning is the most important factor.

    Now Im assuming that one fighter has great skill but little conditioning while the other has some skill but tons of conditioning.

    Conditioning and aggressiveness win fights IMO more then just skill. But thats why u need them all.

  10. #20
    alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    8,202
    Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i havent won any fights because im a good fighter, ive won them because i keep coming forward when the other guy has emptied his tank.

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO