Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 7:57am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

conditioning vs skill

Something thats been on my mind in terms of people fighting in mma. Are conditioning and skill/technique equally important? or is one preferable than another? or does it just depend on the fighter?.

Lets take someone like GSP - is he a better fighter in prime fitness or is he a better fighter when he is at his optimum in terms of skill and technique. If you had 2 GSP's like this, which would win?. Bearing in mind conditioned GSP has had all fighting technique he has learned erased from his mind. And Technique based GSP cannot run 2 miles. If you dont like the example of GSP then replace with another well known fighter.

I think certain styles will lend themselves better to those who are highly conditioned (greco and wrestling perhaps?). Where as BJJ guys might be able to get away with abit more in terms of having less conditioning.

I guess weight division will also play apart. I for one dont think it will be an equal split, although individual differences will be prominent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 8:01am

Style: CAR-AH-TAY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that technique is definitely more important, but conditioning is a very, very close second. It's like a hotdog: the meat is more important than the bread, but without the bun, you're gay and holding a wiener in your hand.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 8:03am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If a fighter is not in good to great conditioning, he/she will not last longer than 30 seconds in any type of fight. So, what good is skill if you can't breath or keep your hands up? Skill is very important, but, if one gets "gassed' right away, it's wasted. Unless, you can finish everyone of your fights in less than 30 seconds, then, you're ok.

Hoo Ha!

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 8:04am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    +rep for a great analogy

So what do you think in all or nothing terms. I.E only technique or only conditioning?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 8:05am

Style: musabetsu kakuto & booj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakamonster
    I think that technique is definitely more important, but conditioning is a very, very close second. It's like a hotdog: the meat is more important than the bread, but without the bun, you're gay and holding a wiener in your hand.
    It really depends on the circumstances. If you're really good and can knock the sucka out in the first or second round, technique is prime. But if you're evenly matched, you better be conditioned or face the dreaded gas out.

holding a wiener in your hand isn't gay. hold a bun in your hand isn't gay. putting the wiener between the buns... now that's gay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 8:08am

Style: CAR-AH-TAY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubble
    holding a wiener in your hand isn't gay
    I think it's going to come down to the grip

For technique vs. conditioning, there's no question that when evenly matched technically, the more conditioned guy will usually win.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 8:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gassing out is the worst feeling in the world. Being beaten by someone better is acceptable. Being beaten because of no cardio feels like ****.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 8:38am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People with great skills also tend to have great conditioning. Why? Because great skills are developed with lots and lot and lots of mat/ring time, and then some more. The physical demands of skill acquisition will inevitably lead to conditioning. They go hand to hand.

Then when two athletes of comparable weight are at at comparable skill levels, conditioning is the equializer. Hell, provided there is no abysmal difference, if one is less skilled than the other, the less skilled one could still win by conditioning alone.

But if the skill level is abysmal, it will be extremelly unlikely that superior conditioning would mean ****. Skill comes first and with it, the conditioning that comes from developing those skills. And then the athlete needs to add more conditioning according to his needs, and then more skills, and then more conditioning...

... and so on and so on, in a never-ending self-fellating loop of twisted logic. Past a certain basic level, it's difficult, if not impossible to state which comes first or second.

--- edit ---

Oh, and what Goju said. Gassing out sucks.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 9:23am

Style: wado ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    During training, both of these things seem to develop side by side and hand in hand.
    Martial arts are good that way, put the hours in training and your condition develops,
    and the larger focus of training will be improving skills.
    In mma id vote for both as equals, but in real life id say the skills edge it.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 9:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look at any of Mark Coleman's fights to see skill vs conditioning.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast