223590 Bullies, 4078 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop
    Don't know him, and only know Kimo a little. But from what I've been told by several people, Tom has a very good reputation. Plus his guys kickbox, so they don't mind getting hit. Usually when I visit a Kajukenbo or kenpo school I wanna see some good contact. And I want to see people who can spar MMA style.
    You gotta go watch Tom's classes to really get a feel for their training methods. Also, Kalaii's guys are tuff guys and pretty good all around fighters. Check out both schools. And watch more then one class, cause your never going to see a lot of their training methods/techniques in just one or two classes.
    This sums up my knowledge of Tom as well. I will say I know a few people that trained with him for their stand-up and speak well of his training.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2008 1:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo, Kyokushin n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awww man you guys give me the warm-fuzzies inside. I freakin' love this place, thanks for all that info. Been looking for years and never thought to ask here until recently. Given I live in CT I'm closer to one of Kallai's students down in Gales Ferry, which is near Norwich (shoreline). Even still, that's pretty much clear across the state for me at this point in time. The guy I've been training with for the past 7 years(Isince I was 14. My Dad remodeled the space my instructor used as a first dojo) is a brand new affiliate under Kimo but the last time he was up here I completely forgot to ask him about either one.

Anyways, the reason I've been trying to find out is because when I graduate and get my masters degree I want to be near a place where I can train decent kempo, not crap-po. I love the Kyokushin I've been doing recently too, so that's always an option. Thanks for the advice though!
    Last edited by metalforlunch; 11/08/2008 1:35am at .

Featherweight

Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, UK.

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 9:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ju-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Bishop,
    are you the bloke who was with Malia Dacascus Bernal and Ted Sotello when Gary F opened his school in San Clemente? John Bishop was there on that day with Eric Lee. I was at the bottom of the bill, billed as the London sensei. I know Peter Browne well, I trained with him about 18 years ago at his Wanstead dojo in London. I changed my name since then because I made a mistake in life, but things are better now because I became a writer. Peter and Gary F, are amongst the best instructors on the planet. Best wishes, Chris.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 3:36pm

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrischance
    Hi Bishop,
    are you the bloke who was with Malia Dacascus Bernal and Ted Sotello when Gary F opened his school in San Clemente? John Bishop was there on that day with Eric Lee. I was at the bottom of the bill, billed as the London sensei. I know Peter Browne well, I trained with him about 18 years ago at his Wanstead dojo in London. I changed my name since then because I made a mistake in life, but things are better now because I became a writer. Peter and Gary F, are amongst the best instructors on the planet. Best wishes, Chris.

Yes, that's me. We had some great seminars when Peter and you guys would come over. Glad to hear things have turned around for you, and your doing well. Take care.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 10:48am

Style: Kaju, FMA, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here in Ohio I only know of 2 Kaju schools. Sigung Anderson in the north and our school in the South in Blanchester. Sigung Anderson focused more on the Kempo side with striking whereas we focus more on the JU because of our lead instructor is also a 5th dan in Judo and Jap Jujitsu. Some other schools I have seen focus very hard on the forms aspect. We have been integrated FMA into our curriculum because most of the counters to the knife would get you killed. We have also found that PTK footwork works very well with the numbers. So basically thru this rant I am trying to get to the fact that it is really based on the instructor and not the lineage for what you are going to find in Kajukenbo or any other spelling you want to go with.

shenbitt

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 1:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry but im new to this but in my opion and that i studied the kajukenbo and kenpo both up to blue belt. and in my opion only theres no other. than them 2 styles

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 2:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Please follow up on this thought. A few questions to challenge/focus/expand your thoughts:

Why kajukenbo vs taking the individual arts?

How does kajukenbo blend technique from different arts?

Is being good all around better than specializing?

How good are the techniques taught at a kaju class compared to the training at one of the root schools?
    I have been in Kajukenbo for 41 yrs, and have always specialized in "children" but for a different reason than just the "money" I HAVE abduction and murder of a child in my family 35 yrs ago my 8 year ond cousin was kidnapped and murdered, so I have always worked to keep the children of my community SAFE. That being said, I work them HARD and always have, we are not a "daycare" we spar with only cup and mouth piece, GM Gaylord has always encouraged us to seek other knowledge "whateva,Whereva,you can" he always said...so I have always tried to fill the gaps in our training, we now have a TKD program to fill in the 'KA" a Danzen Ryu program for the "Ju" I have trained in Kosho to help my "KEN" and My direct instructor James Juarez was heavy into the "BO" and gave us many Kung Fu sets, through the years we have added Escrima "Derobio" Muay Thai, and CQC just to keep it "Real" we were lucky enouh to train with Rickson Gracie in the early 90's before UFC (it was only $50. for a weekend, so thats how long ago it was lol) and with the added CQC we "Roll" with unscharpened tactical folders, My training has ALWAYS been with the mentalitly of reality scenario training non compliant partners, and hard contact fighting (sparing is NOT fighting)... but also with a traditional mind as well. "Bridging the Gap" beteen Traditional, Sport, and Street martial arts, after all if all we do is fight, then all we are are fighers, hell ANYBODY can learn to fight, by the same token if all we do are forms, then all we are, are dancers, we must blend, evolve, dance and fight! thats what makes us kaju

BTW... the big "Dread Head Dude" from the FQ show is one of my "kids" that grew up, as is "Sifu Mickey" creator of "kajuwear" and the Knife fighter of the FQ show as well.. and example of 'Kaju Kids"
    Last edited by kajukine; 5/22/2009 2:56pm at .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234