Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 1:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu (Novice)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

lifting weights

I have 3 MT classes a week. SHould i be lifting weights on the days i don't have class, or on the same day as the class and have a rest day in between? And would lifting weights on the days after class prevent my muscles from recovering?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't lift weights, just put them down.

On a more serious note: depends on what you plan to do with your lifting, how intense your classes are, sleep schedule, diet, age, etc etc.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 4:16pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alexc12389
    I have 3 MT classes a week. SHould i be lifting weights on the days i don't have class, or on the same day as the class and have a rest day in between? And would lifting weights on the days after class prevent my muscles from recovering?
    I think the on MT days or off days question in relation to recovery is less important than which is easier to fit in your schedule. There are technical advantages / disadvantages to either methodology that could be utilized as part of advanced scheme once you have done it for a while, but even then you're trying to a get an additional 5% out of something. 95% of strength development is picking up heavy stuff with compound movements on a regular basis.

Long term, the real key is get to a point where you lift consistently on a proven program that fits your schedule. Crossfit, New Rules of Lifting, and Starting Strength all cost between free and $35 with shipping and handling.
    Regardless of which of those you do, if any, get Starting Strength. If you lift weights, you should have a copy of Starting Strength. The technique information is just that good.

Short term, if possible I'd start on off days. This is more from the fact that delayed onset muscle soreness is at its worst about 48 hours after lifting . This would put the peak of it on the following off day instead of smack dab in the middle of MT sparring. I can't fathom the feeling of taking a shin kick to the quad on day 2 of DOMS from a first squat workout. Either way, its going to hurt and you'll be sore, but you can at least do yourself a small favor.

Also, just do the bar for squats the first couple of times - no matter how strong your legs are or how much MT you do. You might look weak in the gym, but you'll still be wrecked if your depth was right for days. Adding weight will make it even worse.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 8:21pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    alexc12389, did you check the sticky threads? Similar questions have already been discussed and answered.

Check the sticky thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61712

And in it pay attention to the "Weight Training, Grip Training, Powerlifting, Weightlifting And Stuff Thread".
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris