Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 12:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kicking Bulimia Victims

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, well try starting an MMA club in High School. I guess Ill just say we're practicing for wrestling and **** up all the TUF noobs in the wrestling gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 12:46pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    make sure u clear that with ur administration, a few guys from my high school and i tried that back in the day and we got shut down before our first practice due to liability issues. try to get a teacher/coach to volunteer to moderate ur guys sessions (wrestling coach would probably be best, ours didnt like mma to much) before fronting the idea to ur administration

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 12:50pm

Style: Censorship

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There should be some sort of martial art that high shcool admins would be able to let thru. I mean it's not like we're expecting 15 year olds to train like they do in Thailand.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 1:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kicking Bulimia Victims

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    make sure u clear that with ur administration, a few guys from my high school and i tried that back in the day and we got shut down before our first practice due to liability issues. try to get a teacher/coach to volunteer to moderate ur guys sessions (wrestling coach would probably be best, ours didnt like mma to much) before fronting the idea to ur administration
    This is why we don't tell the administration. No one goes in that gym anyway, and our wrestling team practices there with a few guys occasionally on the off-season. Plus there probably won't be any striking to avoid blood/injuries. We may only do SubGrap/Greco/Olympic anyway, so I don't think there will be a problem, as long as we go with the idea that we are training for wreslting.

A school with a athletic director who told a guy who wanted to start a dodgeball club, "Get the **** out of my office" wouldn't want people doing Muay Thai in the auxillary gym.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 2:47pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    so i never went back. and it wasn't just tkd. later on i went to a wu-shu class with my gf at the time (btw, completely physcho, still dont know where the **** that came from) and it was cute, but some of the people there actually thought they could fight, and the instructor was egging them on. now i was polite enough not to throw down in their class, but later on at a party in my house, the instructor,who was drunk, confided in me that all they did was glorified gymnastics, and that i would kill him in a real fight, which is y he was so apologetic for me finding him in my room with a girl.
    I actually also attended this class for a short time. I went there not for the Wushu class but specifically for the man teaching it at the time. The class used to be taught regularly by An Tian Rong, who has coached many national champions in China and abroad. But now he teaches there very infrequently if at all, had something to do with them not being able to or wanting to pay him for instruction so he left the club in the hands of the top students. I went there specifically for Baji, which is Master An's specialty, oddly enough only myself and one other were interested in learning it; everyone else wanted the flowery forms stuff. Yes all they are doing is glorified gymnastics and Master An will be the first to tell you that all that flowery stuff is worthless in a real fight.

After he left I tracked him down and have been training with him ever since. Yes we still do a lot of forms and drills but the sparring portion is starting to grow due to my insistence with the other students that it is necessary. Master An has even confided in me that he likes the fact that I am pushing the sparring idea even if it is extremely slow going. He once told me," If your not fighting, your not doing Wushu". I think he would have liked to push the idea himself but was afraid of losing what students he had and at his age he can't get in there and mix it up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 8:06pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by prezbuluskey
    This is why we don't tell the administration.
    just be careful man, it would suck to get kicked out of school for something like this.

and yeah Ronin i have no idea of how the club was before i got there, i just know that the way its run now is all "flowery forms". but yeah that is in no way an inditement of any previous instructors or cma in general
    Last edited by Beorn; 3/09/2008 8:08pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12