Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    7
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    style to complement tkd

    Currently looking for a style to complement tkd...choices for me are Yoseikan Aikido and bjj. any thoughts?

  2. #2
    hoodedmonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Carson WA.
    Posts
    2,396
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bjj will complement you're tkd so well you will probably quit doing it. Stay away from Aikido

  3. #3
    HonkyTonkMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Black Belt City, Mississippi
    Posts
    5,432
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is a good complimentary style. It throws and sweeps can be easily assimilated into TKD stand up.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    7
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dont have judo around me, those are my two options.

    The Yoseikan Budo inst normal akido, here are some links that describe it:

    http://www.hansdejong.biz/aikido3.htm

    http://www.jushinkandojo.com/yoseikan_english.htm

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    298
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd agree that Judo would give you more of a complete MMA package, but BJJ would ultimately be the better complement (due to the focus and quality of the groundwork).

  6. #6
    Jim_Jude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rspa
    dont have judo around me, those are my two options.

    The Yoseikan Budo inst normal akido, here are some links that describe it:

    http://www.hansdejong.biz/aikido3.htm

    http://www.jushinkandojo.com/yoseikan_english.htm
    You don't have Judo around??? Well, I guess there isn't much selection on the moon... Where are you?
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

  7. #7
    HonkyTonkMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Black Belt City, Mississippi
    Posts
    5,432
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    I'd agree that Judo would give you more of a complete MMA package, but BJJ would ultimately be the better complement (due to the focus and quality of the groundwork).

    Dont know much about TKD or Judo do you?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    7
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So should I go Judo or BJJ, or doesnt it matter? And why not akido, it seems that and judo are very similar.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,464
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodedmonk
    bjj will complement you're tkd so well you will probably quit doing it. Stay away from Aikido
    That's not fair. I think Aikido would mix nice with TKD. Unless of course you really want to learn how to fight well.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,464
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rspa
    So should I go Judo or BJJ, or doesnt it matter? And why not akido, it seems that and judo are very similar.
    There's nothing wrong with Aikido as long as you realize Aikido is Aikido and nothing more.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO