Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2008 12:03pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chaging schools

Has any of you guys ever encountered dificulties when changing from one FMA school or system to another? Whenever someone comes back from a long hiatus without training in our school they have dificulty with the gradual changes in the drills or even in the basic 64 strikes. It is certainly worse when you have to get used to another school's system where the numbering is different.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2008 2:48pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whosthemaster
    Has any of you guys ever encountered dificulties when changing from one FMA school or system to another? Whenever someone comes back from a long hiatus without training in our school they have dificulty with the gradual changes in the drills or even in the basic 64 strikes. It is certainly worse when you have to get used to another school's system where the numbering is different.
    It's not tha bad. If you've been doing FMA for awhile. the adjustment won't take more then a week or so.

I've gone from Modern Arnis 12 angle numbering to two different Doce Pares angle numbering systems. You figure out the logic for the numbering because usually the numbering pattern has a sort of "continous flow" which you don't follow as a pattern in a actual fight but give you an idea of how to flow from a attack/block into another attack/block.

I think the variation is good to have because otherwise you get stuck in dead patterns
    and start thinking the drill is how you should fight.

The more variation you get. the more you get used to adapting.
    which can only help you more when you are actually sparring/fighting.
    (You do spar/fight regularly right?)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2008 4:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    It's not tha bad. If you've been doing FMA for awhile. the adjustment won't take more then a week or so.

I've gone from Modern Arnis 12 angle numbering to two different Doce Pares angle numbering systems. You figure out the logic for the numbering because usually the numbering pattern has a sort of "continous flow" which you don't follow as a pattern in a actual fight but give you an idea of how to flow from a attack/block into another attack/block.

I think the variation is good to have because otherwise you get stuck in dead patterns
    and start thinking the drill is how you should fight.

The more variation you get. the more you get used to adapting.
    which can only help you more when you are actually sparring/fighting.
    (You do spar/fight regularly right?)
    I'm guessing those different schools also have different drills regarding sinawalli, espada y daga, etc? Maybe it is just me being a slow learner, but at least considerably faster as skills builds up.
    Yes, we do sparr, we use padded sticks and almost no protection. My last belt exam was entirely sparring actually, I guess my master was a little lazy after a 4 hour seminar and just skipped the procedure. But he is a huge critic of the "no sparring" martial artists.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2008 5:03pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whosthemaster
    I'm guessing those different schools also have different drills regarding sinawalli, espada y daga, etc? Maybe it is just me being a slow learner, but at least considerably faster as skills builds up.
    Yes, we do sparr, we use padded sticks and almost no protection. My last belt exam was entirely sparring actually, I guess my master was a little lazy after a 4 hour seminar and just skipped the procedure. But he is a huge critic of the "no sparring" martial artists.
    Excellent.

and by different sinawali, espada y daga drlils.
    Could you be more specific?

there are several series of very basic sinawali drills that are worked over for coordination purposes.

The most basic one i see around is from chambered position: "lead stick high, live hand low, then lead stick coming down in a downward strike (usually number 12)

but then you go through the series of variations
    high high low
    low high low
    low low high
    high low high
    and then work on flowing into and out of em.

advanced drills should involve detailed footwork, emphasize on recognizing distance and maintaining it as well as entering and leaving the range.

largo to medio to corto for example.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2008 6:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    Excellent.

and by different sinawali, espada y daga drlils.
    Could you be more specific?

there are several series of very basic sinawali drills that are worked over for coordination purposes.

The most basic one i see around is from chambered position: "lead stick high, live hand low, then lead stick coming down in a downward strike (usually number 12)

but then you go through the series of variations
    high high low
    low high low
    low low high
    high low high
    and then work on flowing into and out of em.

advanced drills should involve detailed footwork, emphasize on recognizing distance and maintaining it as well as entering and leaving the range.

largo to medio to corto for example.
    I'm just guessing the drills are probably different among different schools so one would have to learn new ones while changing from one system to another. Last time Greg Alland came here he introduced a new sinawalli basic drill called 181 to add to the old one, 108. I have a video of the old one here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZyDN-ZFcO8

I have a Modern Arnis book written by Remy Presas. Their 12 Zone Striking Drill is different from our Doce Metodos. It wouldn't be too hard to memorize it, but what makes me confused is that while describing the other drills in the book he would say "as your opponent attempts a Strike 9, sidestep to your right..." but in my mind a Strike 9 is a trust to the opponent's left eye, not to the left knee. I remember a Dog Brothers video where Marc Denny says to avoid confusion they call the attacks by what they are, instead of numbering systems.
    I'm sure you are right, it would be only a matter of taking a little time getting used.
    But I'm interested about the differences between schools and styles and even in the same system in other parts. Is Tapi-Tapi and Dakup ang punyo common to most styles?