pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/11/2008 8:08pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    their only saving grace is that they aren't as stupid as what the chinese came up with.
    The hanging weighted bag?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/12/2008 1:15am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the wing chun dummy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2008 1:01pm

Style: Karate, Krav Maga, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    look into wavemaster bags. Those aren't too expensive. Fill hte bottom with sand or water, and punch away.

Or get punch mitts, lol
    Careful with the water. My sensei had one, and it began to leak fairly quickly.

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 7:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best freestanding bag is the one from Ringside (pricey though). I have one in my garage and we just got one for the gym at work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 8:44am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    makiwara exist because the japanese weren't smart enough to invent the heavy bag. that's all. they are wholly obsolete. their only saving grace is that they aren't as stupid as what the chinese came up with.
    Not quite - makiwara is an Okinawan body conditioning tool. It stays stationery and you just hit it over and over again with bare knuckles to toughen them up so you don't screw yourself up if you hit something hard. Works well, but you have to go slow, and it tends to give you "mountain knuckles" that are not a real good idea if your job includes fine motor skills and sensitivity in your hands and fingers. Nothing at all to do with heavy bag or focus mitt type training.

But I do agree with you about the Wing Chun dummy. Never had any real experience with it, but I don't see a whole lot of benefit.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not quite - makiwara is an Okinawan body conditioning tool. It stays stationery and you just hit it over and over again with bare knuckles to toughen them up so you don't screw yourself up if you hit something hard. Works well, but you have to go slow, and it tends to give you "mountain knuckles" that are not a real good idea if your job includes fine motor skills and sensitivity in your hands and fingers. Nothing at all to do with heavy bag or focus mitt type training.
    i understand what it's for.

what i'm saying is, what it's for - as well as how it goes about it - is fucking stupid.

even if you really did want the knuckle conditioning, that's available from a heavy bag - without the commensurate damage to joints from hitting a non-yielding object.

makiwara make about as much sense as lead paint at this point.

edit: for clarity, i'm not attacking you, i'm attacking the counterproductive attachment to needless romanticised (and often wholly artificial) archaicism that holds back so much of the karate, jma, and tma world.
    Last edited by pauli; 3/13/2008 1:56pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 9:24pm

Style: Karate, Krav Maga, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    even if you really did want the knuckle conditioning, that's available from a heavy bag - without the commensurate damage to joints from hitting a non-yielding object.
    Properly made makiwara (or at least the ones ive used) do yield. They even have a bolt and a spring in the base, allowing you to adjust the spring.

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 10:21pm

Style: kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes there everywhere in karate clubs

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 5:12am

Style: wado ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ive used a makiwara for eight years, i made my own, they are not for the timid, it takes quite a while to toughen the knuckles, i read go slow in another post and thats good advice.
    I can quite happily punch full force now for extended periods, the plus point is it turns soft hands to solid granite, some of the sports guys i read, suggested hitting a punch bag with no gloves for this, but it simply doesnt compare, its a soft weak option.
    If you look at the methods thai boxers (proper thai boxers) use to toughen up the shins, its not pleaseant, and im sure it takes quite some getting used to.
    The makiwara does this for the fists, and does it better than anything made since.
    If you buy one, it pays to get the best you can afford, but if you are handy with tools like me, do a DIY version, and make it quality.
    The strength, endurance and protenction this training has given to my fists and wrists make punching faces and bodies feel like im punching jelly, a forehead is apt for the smashing and my hands wont feel a thing.

The main question would be whether this type of conditioning is relevant to thai boxing, a makiwara is really no substitute for a punch bag when it comes to practiceing combos,
    infact for that, a makiwara has no use, not even to the more linear karateka, but to the more circular attacking style of thai boxing short of impossible.

I had a freind in a similar situation to you, he rolled up a mattress (not easy, a fat heavy relative/friend would be very usefull), and secured it round with rack ties, it free stood on a base, but i will have to ask him how he did that as i only test drove it in its finished state.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 5:16am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont agree with the whole makiwara concept thing...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast